• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

My First hot sauce.

Well, it finally done, I have to thank Salsa Lady for the recipe, my version of her Red Hot Hot Sauce from the class she did. http://thehotpepper.com/topic/53377-making-hot-sauce-class/?hl=class
Made a double batch, 4 pound of brainstrains is more than enough heat for this old man, The PH tested at 3.45 low enough to make it safe to bottle and keep the uglys away. I ended up with 36 woozys, all I had on hand, needed more so ended up with 5 pint jars and 2 pint and half jars, The sauce has a nice consistency and the heat hits right from the get go and builds nicely, I water bathed canned these with bottle and lids from fillmore container, I designed the label and had them printed at Uprinting. The shrink bands (also from fillmore) will take a little getting used to using and getting them to look ok on the bottle. I found using the lower heat setting on my heat gun worked best and starting from the bottom and working up to the top.

The THP forum has been a great source of information for me on many things from peppers, dehydrators, and misc things.I am glad to be a part of this forum.

hotsauce.jpg
[/URL][/img]
The sauce working it's way to a boil

ph.jpg
[/URL][/img]
A nice safe number

jerry%20rig.jpg
[/URL][/img]
In the water bath

not%20sealed.jpg
[/URL][/img]
Not sealed yet no light between knife and lid

sealed.jpg
[/URL][/img]
Sealed bottle.. Light under knife

bottled.jpg
[/URL][/img]
And some finished heat.

Excellent! 

That looks to be a blazing hot sauce, and I'm liking the way the metal caps work with a BWB process. 

Thanks for posting the process pics.  That's a great help.  I'll be ordering some of those caps. 

Your sauce and end product look great.

I do have one question.  In your pic of the BWB, the water level was not higher than the top of the bottle.  I though when you BWB the whole bottle has to be submersed in the water?

tctenten said:
Your sauce and end product look great.

I do have one question.  In your pic of the BWB, the water level was not higher than the top of the bottle.  I though when you BWB the whole bottle has to be submersed in the water?
The pic was taken before the bottles were submerged, once submerged they had about 2" of water over the top of the bottles, in the pic you can kind of see the cake pan I had drilled holes in to hold the bottles upright as they would have kept falling over on my jar rack. once the cake pan was full  5 bottle fit between the side of the rack and the pan, with the pan itself helping hold the bottles upright. The bottles were then processed for 10 minutes at a boil then the heat was turned off and left in the water bath for another 5 mins before removing them.

miacova said:
The pic was taken before the bottles were submerged, once submerged they had about 2" of water over the top of the bottles, in the pic you can kind of see the cake pan I had drilled holes in to hold the bottles upright as they would have kept falling over on my jar rack. once the cake pan was full  5 bottle fit between the side of the rack and the pan, with the pan itself helping hold the bottles upright. The bottles were then processed for 10 minutes at a boil then the heat was turned off and left in the water bath for another 5 mins before removing them.

Gotcha.   Nice work.  It is just the start.  Sauce making gets very addictive with all the different peppers, fruits and spices.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Awesome first sauce, if I can shake the lazy out of me perhaps I can do a sauce since I bought the same bottles after your other post. What did you use for labels?

For the labels I created them online using http://www.uprinting.com/cut-to-size-bottle-label-printing.html and their create a design online. they measure 4"x3" Horizontally orientated, and you can order as little as 25 precut labels. My order was for 50, as for the cost all said and done it cost me about $40.00 to have them printed and shipped  I wanted something that looked really good as I am giving most of this sauce away to friends and coworkers, I have a lousy printer that's on it's last legs and would not have gotten the quality I was after.

This is the whole label

[img][/img]

Back