• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

My First Peanut Plant

A person gave me a dead peanut plant he rescued from a garden, apparently digging it up. I was unable to revive it so decided to pull the roots up and harvested about 20 peanuts. Two of them see to have developed a sprout, so I stuck them in a couple of containers and watered them Saturday or Sunday. Yesterday, one of the sprouts poked through the dirt.

I'm curious to see how they grow, as I'm a newbie at peanuts. I know they are formed underground but the plant he gave me confuses me. It looks like the plant forms branches which burrow into the dirt and that is how the peanut forms. The plant had bunches of these branches from the main stem, all of them in the dirt and at the end of them were the nuts. Is this correct or was it just how the plant was dug and repotted?

Mike (I'm no Jimmy Carter or Mr. Plantar)

From what I understand, the flower forms then it starts to grow downward and a stem follows it. The flower tip burrows in to the ground and that is where the peanut is formed.

millworkman said:
From what I understand, the flower forms then it starts to grow downward and a stem follows it. The flower tip burrows in to the ground and that is where the peanut is formed.

That's how it looked to me. It ought to be fun watching it grow.

Mike

Back