• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

My First Pods of the Season

Ripe Trinidad Scorpion:
IMG_0129.jpg

Seven Pod:
IMG_0127.jpg

Scotch Bonnet:
IMG_0125.jpg

Ripening Red Savina:
IMG_0128.jpg

And the forecast for the next week or so is sunny, clear and mid-80's!! Could be a banner year!

Great looking pepper patch Sheldon. All those pods look big and juicy waiting to turn ripe. Healthy plants produce tons of pods. How about the 7 is it yours or mine? Gonna be a great harvest in just another week or two.:cool:

PrairieChilihead said:
Ripe Trinidad Scorpion:
IMG_0129.jpg

Mate the plants and pods look great. It might just be my eyes but I don't think that is a pure strain Scorpion. It looks like it's crossed with a hab or something smooth skinned??

I could be wrong, but either way they look really good!!

chillilover said:
Your red savinas are carribean red habs and the scorpion dosen't look scorpiony. How do the other pods look on the plant?

I've had other Scorpion pods on the plant that looked more traditional than this one, but you can see the stinger on the bottom right hand side!

How can you tell that the hab is a Caribbean Red rather than a Red Savina? I got the seeds from Hotpeppa, so I'm really taking his word for it. I've grown Caribbean Reds many times over the years and really like them...they have a perfect heat level. If that's what they are I'll be happy with them anyway.

Thanks for your comment.

moyboy said:
Mate the plants and pods look great. It might just be my eyes but I don't think that is a pure strain Scorpion. It looks like it's crossed with a hab or something smooth skinned??

I could be wrong, but either way they look really good!!

Hi Moyboy,

If you look at the image of the Scorpion I had ripening back at the start of July, that pod was on the same plant as this one. I can't explain why that one looked all "gnarly" while this one looks smooth. It's weird. I have lots more little peppers on that plant...and on that plant's little sisters. I'm going to be watching closely to see what happens. It's hot like a Scorpion, though...not like a hab.

PrairieChilihead said:
Hi Moyboy,

If you look at the image of the Scorpion I had ripening back at the start of July, that pod was on the same plant as this one. I can't explain why that one looked all "gnarly" while this one looks smooth. It's weird. I have lots more little peppers on that plant...and on that plant's little sisters. I'm going to be watching closely to see what happens. It's hot like a Scorpion, though...not like a hab.

Well that's good that it's hot like the scorpion so you are on a winner.

My 7 pot came out looking exactly like yours so thanks for the seeds....:)

moyboy said:
Well that's good that it's hot like the scorpion so you are on a winner.

My 7 pot came out looking exactly like yours so thanks for the seeds....:)

I'm glad to hear that! My 7 pots have been very slow. That's the only large pod I have so far, though I have about a dozen or so teensy pods developing. Do you have alot of pods?

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Great looking pepper patch Sheldon. All those pods look big and juicy waiting to turn ripe. Healthy plants produce tons of pods. How about the 7 is it yours or mine? Gonna be a great harvest in just another week or two.:cool:

That one is from mine, but I have small pods and lots of flowers on yours. Did you germinate any of the seeds I sent you?

Silver_Surfer said:
Nice pods PC. You have a lot of heat due to arrive very soon.

Thanks Silver_Surfer. I'm looking forward to that pain! :lol:

I've grown both. C red habs are better than savinas in my opinion anyway. :) I'm sure others will confirm that they are c red habs too.

Red savina
023-2.jpg

c red hab

036.jpg

PrairieChilihead said:
I'm glad to hear that! My 7 pots have been very slow. That's the only large pod I have so far, though I have about a dozen or so teensy pods developing. Do you have alot of pods?

Mate I had heaps of pods last season and the plant will be in it's second season this year so I'll take some pics and let you know so you can have a look....

PrairieChilihead said:
I've had other Scorpion pods on the plant that looked more traditional than this one, but you can see the stinger on the bottom right hand side!

How can you tell that the hab is a Caribbean Red rather than a Red Savina? I got the seeds from Hotpeppa, so I'm really taking his word for it. I've grown Caribbean Reds many times over the years and really like them...they have a perfect heat level. If that's what they are I'll be happy with them anyway.

Thanks for your comment.

Are you sure that point in the bottom right isn't the stigma from the flower?

chillilover said:
Are you sure that point in the bottom right isn't the stigma from the flower?

No...it was a sharp, hard point. I could push my finger onto it...and it hurt. It's gone now, of course. It was ripe and hot. Well, I know that peppers cross all the time so there's no way to categorically state that the seed was a pure strain, but like I said, the pod I took the picture of at the beginning of July, at the very start of this thread was on the same plant. I left this pod hanging a long time, though, because I liked the splash of colour. Do they smooth out over time? In any case, it tasted like a scorpion and had that throat pain heat that I expect from scorpions and seven pods. As long as it's hot...it's all good...right? :)

PrairieChilihead said:
No...it was a sharp, hard point. I could push my finger onto it...and it hurt. It's gone now, of course. It was ripe and hot. Well, I know that peppers cross all the time so there's no way to categorically state that the seed was a pure strain, but like I said, the pod I took the picture of at the beginning of July, at the very start of this thread was on the same plant. I left this pod hanging a long time, though, because I liked the splash of colour. Do they smooth out over time? In any case, it tasted like a scorpion and had that throat pain heat that I expect from scorpions and seven pods. As long as it's hot...it's all good...right? :)
That's right. How have you 've been enjoying the hotter weather this summer? I looks like you guys stole it from us in the east earlier in the year.:)

chillilover said:
That's right. How have you 've been enjoying the hotter weather this summer? I looks like you guys stole it from us in the east earlier in the year.:)

We've been enjoying the heat this week...first time this year that we've had high 20's and 30's. We've been in the high teens and low twenties with non-stop clouds and rain. It has been miserable. Down to single digits at night. What has your weather been like?

I heard the west was having a heatwave this summer? I guess not. The last week we finally got some real heat. Sunday was 43 with the humidex. My pods are finally taking off. The rest of the summer 25 23 24.......................

chillilover said:
I heard the west was having a heatwave this summer? I guess not. The last week we finally got some real heat. Sunday was 43 with the humidex. My pods are finally taking off. The rest of the summer 25 23 24.......................

Maybe BC? I'm in Manitoba and we've had 8 consecutive record breaking below average months. In fact, July had the third lowest average temperature since they started recording temps. It's a miracle that I have any pods at all. Like I said, though, this week we've been having 30's. And I'm hopeful. :pray:

Updated Pictures:

Two Trinidad Scorpions Plants (seeds from Radman):

TrinidadScorpionPlant1.jpg

and:
TrinidadScorpionPlant.jpg

Scotch Bonnet Plant:
ScotchBonnetPlant.jpg

and close up of a ripe pod:
RipeScotchBonnet.jpg

More pictures following.

The seven pod plant from seed provided by PRF (Thanks again):
SevenPodPlantPRF.jpg

And a close up of a ripe Seven Pod:
RipeSevenPod.jpg

Naga Morich plant (seed from PDreadie):
NagaMorichPlant.jpg

Close up:
RipeNagaMorich.jpg

I also have plants from Alawn and Harris, but the pods aren't ripe yet.

And more images following...

Back