• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

My growing tomato army

Thanks to the generosity of a fellow gardener my tomato seed stock has grown by 11 varieties. Several are Brandywines including Sudduth's Strain and Cowlick.I now have about 20 different tomatoes to grow and enjoy. Some others are Omar's Lebanese ,Ananas Noir ,Pink Brandywine, Watermelon Beefsteak,Crimson Cushion, 2 that seem to be family heirlooms bred off Brandywine. On a side note my selection of peppers(hot mainly) is getting big too. What a fun year this will be. Never thought I would have such a great selection. Here is the rest of the list for all who have not seen it.

Giant Tree

Italian Giant Beefsteak

Thessaloniki up and growing

Al-Kuffa up and growing

Primetime

Cherokee Purple up and growing

Amish Paste up and growing

Cosmonaut Volkov up and growing

Country Taste

Yellow Brandywine

Crimson Cushion

Rutgers

Red Brandywine

Kevin

Sorellina said:
Ciao Kevin-

Well done! You might post some photos when you get a second. :)

Thanks Sorellina. I will do that.Had to use anything I could lay my hands on to plant them to as I ran out of pots. I even had to press into service my flower boxes I got from Dollar General 5 years ago. And I still have peppers to pot up soon.The first of my bells and hot peppers will need to be potted up in about a week or so.

Kevin

Sorellina said:
Ciao Kevin-

It's a crazy but fun time of year!

Yep sure is.But we are rewarded for all the craziness we go through. I just think of all the great tasting tomatoes and peppers. I even have a few eggplants too.

Kevin

Pepperfreak said:
May the sauce be with you...

Nice list!

Thank you. With as many tomato and pepper varieties I have I think I shale have some very interesting sauces this year. I am sure I will be asking about recipes along the way.

Kevin

Tomato update! Just potted up some Italian Giant Beefsteak today. That puts my first wave of seedlings at 138. All my seedlings are looking good and should be ready to go to the garden about the first week of May or shortly after.

Kevin

Kevin
Would you be so kind as to save me some of the Sudath Strain Brandywine seeds at the end of the season. Perhaps we can do a seed swap.

origamiRN said:
Kevin
Would you be so kind as to save me some of the Sudath Strain Brandywine seeds at the end of the season. Perhaps we can do a seed swap.

I will see what I can do. So far the Sudath Strain has not come up. Cowlicks are up though. I have it on good authority that the Cowlicks are very good..

Kevin

Sorellina said:
Ciao Origami-

PM me for Brandywine Sudduth. I have plenty of seed for that one.

Sorellina,

Did you have any germination trouble with this one? Its a bit late for me to re-seed but perhaps next year.Kind of disappointed I really wanted this one. At least I have Cowlicks and some other Brandywines.

Kevin

Ciao Kevin-

I grew Brandywine Sudduth in 2006 when I was still using peat pellets and no bottom heat. My notes say that I sowed the seeds on 23 March and got my first sprout on 1 April and my 2nd on 5 April. That was kind of par for the course back then. It was not a hugely prolific plant for me, but the ones I did get were fabulous and I'd grow it again for that reason. It's hard to beat for a BLT tomato.

Sorellina said:
Ciao Kevin-

I grew Brandywine Sudduth in 2006 when I was still using peat pellets and no bottom heat. My notes say that I sowed the seeds on 23 March and got my first sprout on 1 April and my 2nd on 5 April. That was kind of par for the course back then. It was not a hugely prolific plant for me, but the ones I did get were fabulous and I'd grow it again for that reason. It's hard to beat for a BLT tomato.

Well it looks like I have one Sudduth seedling up and growing. Hope for more.

Kevin

Back