• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking My new Firepit

That I think I will also use to roast a pig or a lamb and whatever else I can think of open pit BBQ in this new toy. My family really likes to sit out side with our portable fire-pit that is a cheap $79 at home depot. My wife started this landscaping project with half of our yard and I suggested an inground fire-pit and she loved the idea. I'll post some pics after we finish and light out first fire and then some cooking in this beast. It is 3 feet in diameter and 2.5 feet deep.

Attachments

• pit.jpg
    pit.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 58
Got a grill that fits inside?
Pig buried in coals wrapped in Banana leaves comes to mind.

Also,a friend built a similar pit.
Put a sheet of metal in the botton on chains for cleaning it out.
Pull the chains to raise the ashes up every so often.
Eventually the ashes will eat up the metal.
Don't use galvonized metal.
Poison fumes or something.
He got stainless from the salvage yard.
Cut up a commercial prep kitchen table he found there.
Works pretty good.
He also hangs the metal mid way up so he doesn't have to burn tons of wood when the pit is empty.
Pretty cool setup.

looks cool!

you should get a metal table built such that you can build a fire that is elevated out of the bottom pit itself...then you could use it as a nice little enjoyable fire pit for the snuggles.
as it is... while good for cooking is probably not so good for warming and lighting the area during get togethers?

Very nice!!

Here is used this system of fire. I did used a many times for cooking. My personal opinion is that the well is very deep and makes it very difficult to work. I think the should not be more deep than 1 or 1.5 feet.
Many distance between firewood and grill, you will need a lot of fire and thus be very difficult for you to regulate the amount of heat.

Back