• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

My new hot sauce: Puerto Rican Passion

I took a trip to Puerto Rico and stayed on an Island called Vieques that used to be an old military base. Their was a delicious hot sauce circulating the island that more than helped make up for some of the moderately tasteful and over priced food we ate. It reminded me of a caribbean sauce I already make with a mango base, but their was something different about it. It was more sour and tart. Finally I was able to get some imformation out of one of the servers. They said passion fruit was a primary ingredient. So I came back and created my own version which turned out great.

I used my existing pepper mash base which has been fermenting since July in whey and consist of Cajamarca, Ghost, Penquin, scotch Bonnett, Datil, and CARDI peppers run through a food processor and mixed with salt, lime, onions, carrots, and tons of garlic.

I bought 10 passion fruits which I have to admit I'm unfamiliar with and some papaya after I realized how sour and tart they were. I pureed the passion fruit seeds and pulp in my vitamix and strained it to get any chunkier parts of the seeds out. Then I pureed it again with the papaya and some raw cacoa my friend just brough me from the Amazon. I added a touch of honey, cumin, and corriander. Anyway, I love it. Everyone who has tried it loves it if they could handle the heat. Someone even suggested toning it down and using it as a marinade for the masses. Any thoughts or suggestions? I may have added some dry mustard and ginger.

I thought about that, but I'm at work now. Maybe I can get one up later. It's a dark orange/purple(darker than my other sauces) with tiny black specs with are from the seeds. I'll try to get a picture up soon.

Maybe tonight. I looked at it and it's more of a deep dark pumpkin colored orange with black specs. Maybe not so much purple. That did sound fun. What stands out most is really the flavor the passion fruit adds to it. Very tropical.

I took a picture and saved it on Desk top. What's the easiest way to import it? Anybody. The

The "pasteurized for your safety" lids with the hastily torn labels made me chuckle. Sauce sounds good. The cacao sounds a little strange to me, but I'm sure it's plenty hot and plenty tasty.

The cacao sounded strange to me at first. I've become rather obsessed with it lately for my green smoothies. Cacao in itself is a superfood packed full on antioxidants and energy not to mention it supposedly elevates the mood. It seems to be a little more common to see chocolate combined in things you never would have guessed these days including spicey things and marinades. I recall eating a local gourmet chocolate last year dusted with cayan pepper. It was great!! So I added a little. Honestly, without a control, I'm not sure what it did to the flavor. I just thought that a sauce made up of so much fruit could be complimented by a touch raw dark cacao.

Cellscape - that sauce looks mighty tasty! Ripe passion fruit is a very unique blend of tart and sweet and very few are able to get it fresh. Glad you were inspired. If you get a chance please post a rough version of the recipe (what you recall) so the rest of us can try and approximate it.

Back