smokers My newest toy

Bought me a new stick smoker last week.  I know some of you pellet guys don't like tending a fire, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

L5vcSfS.jpg

She cleaned up nicely and after a day spent seasoning her she was ready for a test run.

NkwbiVU.jpg

Have to say she did well.  This one won't be hard to figure out and will need little modification to be a dream machine.  I'd like to get an upper grill rack put in so I've got room for chicken or ribs when she's stuffed with pork butts and I'm sure tuning plates wouldn't hurt but I am very pleased with her performance just the way she is.  Ribs smoked for a few hours then let rest in some foil.  I then cut 'em up sauced 'em with a home made mustard sauce and threw them on the grill over the fire box to crust 'em up a bit.  Delicious.  

Game on.  I'm going to have fun with this. 

boutros said:
Tending a fire can be a great way to get out of doing other stuff around the house.... looks pretty badass! I do want to get a stick burner someday if I get a little more space.
There's something about cooking with coals and fire that I really enjoy. Maybe it's my Eastern NC roots or just my inner pyro but using a pellet smoker just doesn't seem right to me. I mean set it and forget it, what is that about? No judgement here if that's your thing but to me that's baking not barbecuing.

PepperFish said:
There's something about cooking with coals and fire that I really enjoy. Maybe it's my Eastern NC roots or just my inner pyro but using a pellet smoker just doesn't seem right to me. I mean set it and forget it, what is that about? No judgement here if that's your thing but to me that's baking not barbecuing.

Agree.  I really enjoy the challenge of keeping the temperature.

Nice stick burner PF!

It looks brand new. You said it "cleaned up nicely". Is this a previously-owned unit, or are you cleaning off the new stink?

Now, I know Old Country makes a nice pit, but what's a good ole NC east-coaster doing with a TEXAS made pit lol? :seeya:

ADRUNKK said:
I've been using an electric smoker with temp control that utilizes wood chips for the smoke. It's pretty set it and forget it.
I guess set it and forget it would make sense if I was A DRUNKK, haha!

DownRiver said:
Nice stick burner PF!

It looks brand new. You said it "cleaned up nicely". Is this a previously-owned unit, or are you cleaning off the new stink?

Now, I know Old Country makes a nice pit, but what's a good ole NC east-coaster doing with a TEXAS made pit lol? :seeya:
Well it may be a Texas brand but they're actually made in Mexico. I used to get real exited as a kid looking at all the billboard's riding down I-95 with the folks but could never get 'em to stop at South of the Border. Maybe that has something to do with it, but probably not.

I bought it new. It seems like a pretty well built smoker for the price. I soaped it up to clean out all the factory gunk then coated the inside with canola oil and smoked her heavy for an afternoon to season her in. It'll see a lot of action, ribs, chicken, butts, peppers and more.
Plus the firebox doubles as our regular charcoal grill but when it's time for whole hog the setup will look something more like this...

Attachments

• 20190922_031037.jpg
    20190922_031037.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 127
That looks like a well made smoker!

Back