• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

My non chili plants

Cool. It's probably the ancestor of the modern tomato or something. Perfect for authentic salsas!

I don't know about ancestor, but they are closely related. It's definitely great for making salsas. I make salsa verde with diced avocado using tomatillos a lot. It's great for some red sauces too. I'm a huge fan of Mexican food, so tomatillos are a must.

It sounds like siling labuyo has been getting some fruit development with only one plant flowering. This is my first year growing tomatillos, but everything I've read says you should have 2+ plants for cross pollination and good fruit development, so I don't know. My 2 plants have 6-7 little lanterns growing fruit right now. :) They seem to be very easy to grow so far. They grow very, very quickly.

maybe i should thank the bees for visiting my plants everyday. flowering plants do really helped encourage pollinators to visit.

i wish i have a normal tomatillo for that authentic salsa taste.

local tree nurseries here recommend to buy two trees of the same kind for better pollination. maybe if i raised both of the litchi plants properly, i should be getter more fruits.

here is the other litchi tomato that confined in a small container, smaller but bushier. i recently transferred it to a larger container because my friend was supposed to get it when it was smaller. flower buds are just forming.
img1382e.jpg

you're welcome dude, same here :welcome: . you need to allot a big space for those litchi tomatoes. the bigger one is approximately 8ft tall and still growing.

i just harvested the first two ripe tomatoes from hell. the birdies might get it first if i i'll wait for the rest of the cluster...

img1412b.jpg

yo franz! i'll save the seeds for you!

Are you sure that's a tomatillo? I've never heard of a tomatillo turning red, only green/yellow or purple. The leaves and thorny covering look more tomato to me than tomatillo too. It's a nice looking plant regardless.

actually its called litchi tomato but its not a tomato at all. its closer relatives are the tomatillo and cape gooseberries because of the paper husk coverings. whatever is is, i enjoyed growing this thorny bastard. already acquired lots of injuries from growing this plant. :D

here is the site:
litchi tomato

yeah definitely a cool plant, I'm going to give those a try next year. I just read that they taste like sour cherries, do you agree with that? I'm not sure what they're used for, I saw a recipe for a chutney made from those though.

yeah definitely a cool plant, I'm going to give those a try next year. I just read that they taste like sour cherries, do you agree with that? I'm not sure what they're used for, I saw a recipe for a chutney made from those though.

they sure tasted like tarty cherries! i had those bastards for dessert. all those injuries are worth all worth it. if you want, i can send you some seeds.

Ciao siling-

There are many scary-looking nightshade members out there. Most are tropical types with thorns that can get several centimetres in length. Not all of these are edible, but some are. Some of the eggplants I've seen in the tropical rooms in conservatories get 3 metres or taller. It gives me even more respect for jungle inhabitants. Not only are there poisonous snakes, scary huge Godzilla bugs, but also plants that can rip you to shreds. I'd invest in some very heavy-duty gloves if I were you!

I have another gardening friend here in Toronto who is growing Morelle de Balbis, a very thorny eggplant type. You might look that critter up..it's quite alarming in appearance to say the least.

Ciao siling-

There are many scary-looking nightshade members out there. Most are tropical types with thorns that can get several centimetres in length. Not all of these are edible, but some are. Some of the eggplants I've seen in the tropical rooms in conservatories get 3 metres or taller. It gives me even more respect for jungle inhabitants. Not only are there poisonous snakes, scary huge Godzilla bugs, but also plants that can rip you to shreds. I'd invest in some very heavy-duty gloves if I were you!

I have another gardening friend here in Toronto who is growing Morelle de Balbis, a very thorny eggplant type. You might look that critter up..it's quite alarming in appearance to say the least.

Hello Sorellina,
thanks for the info. i'm aware of some poisonous nightshades. in fact i'm growing one right now -- nipple fruit, but for ornamental purposes only. speaking of heavy duty gloves, I need to buy one today. a typhoon just struck our area last night and that spiny nightshade is lying right now on the ground. good thing that the main branch didn't snap, it only bend due to the strong gust of wind. I need to tie it against the wall for better support.

hmmm.. that's weird. over the internet they call my plant Morelle de Balbis also. I'm not familiar with that eggplant type of Morelle de Balbis.

if its not too much to ask, can you paste a picture of that thorny eggplant? thanks :)

Back