• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

My sad pepper patch.

I need to weed it, but dollar weeds are impossible to keep under control.

I only have six plants, as this is my first year trying to grow in florida. Next year, I will have a better patch, more plants and hotter peppers.

At the moment, I have 2 Hot Wax, 2 Pablano, 1 Anaheim and 1 Cayenne. Of these, the only ones I will be overwintering will be the Wax and Cayenne.

0921091111222.jpg

It's a crappy cell phone picture, but you get the just of it.

Next year, I will have Bishop's Crown, Orange Habs, Datils, Caribbean Reds, Cayenne, Elephant Trunk, Hot Wax, and whatever came in my Pepper Joe's Surprise pack.

You'd probably be better off growing your plants in pots - hell of a lot easier to keep them free from weeds.

Dont feel bad I had some wierd infestations in my garden this year all could have been fixed but some assh*le contracter thought it would be a good place to backfill without asking me.I lost everything.I wonder if sugar in his gastank is too much of a payback lol

I thought of that, but the HOA won't allow it. Unless I build planter boxes, which I plan on building over the winter. I will still have a few in the ground, but the planters will double my planting space.

Dollar weeds, however will take over anything. I found them growing in my starter box, that is located inside.

you're serious about the HOA? I'm glad to know that someone else sees the danger of containers. I thought I was alone on that.

We can have containers up to 3 gallon I think. Apparently, they are an eyesore, but home made planter boxes are ok. It's Florida, what do you expect?

Either way, I prefer to plant in the ground. I'm going to do some work on my patch over the winter, so next spring I can keep the weeds at bay. I'm going to border it, till in some horse manure (perks of having a girlfriend with horses) and after I plant the peppers, mulch it.

I'm not sure what size boxes I will make, yet.

Ratman667 said:
It's Florida, what do you expect?/QUOTE]

just say its the NEW Florida...hell, it wasn't that way in the 50s and 60s...but then we had an influx of......never mind...

Back