• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds My seed germination setup

This is my first go at growing from seed, so I haven't gone crazy but thought I would share my setup.

Basically it's a yates mini greenhouse ($20 from bunnings) - with a jiffy pot tray inside instead of the standard yates tray that was designed for soil.

Underneath is a heat pad from the local Hydroponic supply place, cost me $40.. alone this brought the temperature up to 26 celcius (about 5 above ambient) so I also have a desk lamp from ikea which is supplying the rest of the heat.

The thermometer was great, $10 from bunnings - has an 'outdoor' temperature probe which I have planted into one of the jiffy pots, giving me an accurate soil temp readout. At the moment with this setup, the temp is hovering around 29.5 degrees.

I planted a whole bunch of varieties today, so fingers crossed! :oops:

propagation1.jpg

Looks good to me!!Its my 1st season growing from seed
(heck my 1st time growing anything period).My "incubator"
was a 10 gallon aquarium a reptile indertank heating pad
and I have 6 plants with pods/flowers/and fruits now
and 5 more ready to get transplanted outside so you
setup looks good and should be fine but let a few
others members comment too(they have been great in
helping me and are wise) as I could be all wrong :)

Good to see another Australian in the south part (albeit the west) has started their seeds.

I've got 2 x Heat`n`Grow propogation boxes, pretty much as the same as you get at Bunnings. They are sitting on top of an electric blanket, being controlled by a thermal controller that I can find uses for later on anyway.

Using 2 different types of peat pellets, the normal Jiffy ones and some coconut husk one. I think the normal peat pellets are a little bit better.

So far, in about 10 days, only 5 of the pellets have shown anything, they've now been moved into 100mm pots with soil, and inside a 0.8m x 0.45m x 0.8m tent with a 100W 14000K CFL and a reflector.

Was expecting stuff to come up a bit quicker, but I think I'll worry more if I still see over 50% of the pellets not showing after about 4 weeks.

MiLK_MaN said:
Good to see another Australian in the south part (albeit the west) has started their seeds.

I've got 2 x Heat`n`Grow propogation boxes, pretty much as the same as you get at Bunnings. They are sitting on top of an electric blanket, being controlled by a thermal controller that I can find uses for later on anyway.

Using 2 different types of peat pellets, the normal Jiffy ones and some coconut husk one. I think the normal peat pellets are a little bit better.

So far, in about 10 days, only 5 of the pellets have shown anything, they've now been moved into 100mm pots with soil, and inside a 0.8m x 0.45m x 0.8m tent with a 100W 14000K CFL and a reflector.

Was expecting stuff to come up a bit quicker, but I think I'll worry more if I still see over 50% of the pellets not showing after about 4 weeks.

Yah I'm not sure if maybe I'm starting the seeds a little early? I will probably haveto invest in a grow tent of some description assuming my seedlings survive. I plan on doing another round of seedlings once the current round gets transplanted into pots.

Re: germination time - 10 days is very short isn't it? Everythign I have read has said that chillis will take between 2 and 4 weeks to pop up...

RingburnDave said:
Re: germination time - 10 days is very short isn't it? Everythign I have read has said that chillis will take between 2 and 4 weeks to pop up...

That can depend on the type of chilli too. I've had Chinenses come up in 10 days and Annuums a lot sooner.

RingburnDave said:
Yah I'm not sure if maybe I'm starting the seeds a little early? I will probably haveto invest in a grow tent of some description assuming my seedlings survive. I plan on doing another round of seedlings once the current round gets transplanted into pots.

This is only my second attempt to start chillies from seeds. First time, I had used the wet paper towel in a plastic sandwich bag trick, that seemed to bring them up quicker. With 50 seeds to do, I really couldnt be fluffed doing it this time round.

Starting seeds early is not so bad, as long as you have the lighting and heating to give the seeds a head start before you put them outside. I now have 3 grow tents, one is to overwinter plants, the other two are small for the initial growth of the seedlings.

If you still wanna buy a tent and everything that goes with it, I recommend checking out www.aussieponics.com. Not sure what your budget is like, and how much you want to spend though.

That'll work....

the only thing I will warn against is mold/mildew...watch for the top of your jiffys getting "green"...if that happens, add peroxide (forget the dilution...1 Tbsp per gallon I think)to your water when watering the plants...I used the dome on a regular seed starting tray in my germinator and got mold/mildew.

as long as you keep the temperature around 30C you will have the best germination...time varies with the type seed planted as RB said...anywhere between 5 and 30 days...

Totally understand what you mean about the type of seeds can result in longer germination times, I was just more puzzled by the fact that my 7 Pot and Trinidad Scorpion has come up before some of the others

fresher seeds prob... ive opened a morich planted seeds 5 days popped up, yet when orig got took 3 weeks..
the pods ya got them from were prob tken from plant, taken out, dried sent, so couple weeks old tops..

Excellent setup too Dave, im going to Bunnings tomorrow get a few of themm temp thingys, and as Milk Man says aussiponics www.aussieponics.com yea,, i got a 1 x 1 x 2 tent from them and then the Reject shop had Clip on Desk lamps, so 4 of them (1 in each corner) 4 from roof ,, then 20Watt 6400K powersavers x 8 from $2 shop.. the sprouted seeds are living (ill go take a pic) show ya, setup cost under 200 :)

great little setup there dave..very well thought out indeed..i myself have had c.Chinese pop up in 5 days sometimes and annums to depends on many things inc temp but growing medium is paramount to..if you would like to try something different from jiffy/soil try root riot cubes/propagators :)

Hiya guys, it's me, that dahlia guy... Oh, that's one thing I did not tell you about... I'm also into dahlias big-time... www.dahliasuppliers.com anyways... at the nursery where I work at, we have a nice propagating table. 4 feet by 40 feet. There is a heating cable that runs through it and it's filled up with sand, so there is constant and even heat. I have it set for 80 degrees and it stays the same. for the plants I am starting that are sensitive to draft, or require warm air, there is a canopy over it, and the air stays at a constant 70-80 degrees, depending on the heat from the outside of the greenhouse. (go-figure, spring-time) I tell you one thing from my propagating experience with dahlias and other plants, constant, EVEN bottom heat does wonders on propagating... I even had tomatoes that popped up 2 days after I have planted them. By the way, if I had a record book on the numbers of seeds I have propagated at the nursery, it would be in the 10 thousands!

Oh by the way, I am doing a potting soil test for 2 of the local potting soil companies... Where I live is right in the middle of the timber industries, and they get scrap bark, so they shred it up and speed-compost it. then they add all of the other beneficial mixes and crap to make it "pottable". Anyways, I did it to 2 of the bhuts and there is a remarkable difference in it. You can see the difference in the mixes. Look at the 2 pots on the right. 1 is using a mix from 1 company, and the other another. The peppers are being watered and fertilized at the same time and wow... I am going to call the companies, but in order to validate this claim, I need to do it with at least 2 plants per soil. I guess I just might as well do that! LOL
bhutsnmelons.jpg

whoa! I almost forgot about the naga morich that I got from Philliperv. I might as well pot those up into those big fiber pots for the soil test, at least I can claim that I am using 2 different kinds of plants for the tests.... :mouthonfire:
and, I'm talking about these guys!
nagas.jpg

some of them will be planted in my main garden at home, and some will be in pots to be "perenialized"...

Oh, I bet that Quad is jealous by now... droooooooool boy, droool! I can't wait till Oct! LOL

Gnildir said:
Oh, I bet that Quad is jealous by now... droooooooool boy, droool! I can't wait till Oct! LOL

Nah mate, I'm proud to have sparked such purdy pepper action. :)

Don't worry, Oct. will be a hott time for sure... ;)

Back