• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

issue My seedlings are wilting. What's going on?

HI

I've recently started growing my first peppers. I started by terminating the seeds in tissue and then transplanting to seed trays. Everything has been fine until the first two leaves sprouted and since then it looks like they're wilting.

They have been living in the seed trays with a clear cover on to create a green house. I have read that I should remove the cover now and that might be the problem.

Note: They are on a heat mat and it is cold in the UK atm roughly 20° most of the time.

Any thoughts much appreciated!

Attachments

• 20211218_213742.jpg
    20211218_213742.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 178
Hi, it looks like the cotyledons (seed leaves) are still developing, it might be that the humidity and/or lack of air flow under the clear cover could cause them to curl down a bit like that, especially if the media is very moist, but they don't look so bad :).

They look overwatered to me. If you remove the cover, which I think you should at this point, you'll want to reduce the light intensity for a couple days so they can adjust to a less humid environment. Otherwise the sudden increase in transpiration from less humid conditions is likely to stress - and perhaps kill - the unprepared seedlings. This effect will be exacerbated if there are root development issues resulting from overwatering and the plants are struggling to uptake water properly.

All good advice above.

You didn't mention, so I'll ask. Are you using any artificial lighting with those?

This time of year in the UK the light from a window won't be enough for seedlings to do that well. I'm UK also. Not causing your immediate issue but they will stretch for light quickly if you don't give them a decent light source.

You'll definitately need some extra light, perhaps even if you were in a glasshouse. I had good success with T8 lamps at 6700K for a strong spectrum. I've since swithed to cheap LED and the jury is still out. Also those lamps will need to be only a couple of inches above the leaves else the plant will become "leggy" and weak. Good Luck! It takes awhile to get all your parameters in order and balanced, but it fun as in working a puzzle. :welcome:
j

I've ordered a cheap LED setup and i will see how that goes.

I do have another concern. I have some strangle curling/damage to some of the leaves of my older plants. What could this be? I transplanted these yesterday.

Thanks for all the help.

Attachments

• 20211219_171418.jpg
    20211219_171418.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 145
  • 20211219_170542.jpg
    20211219_170542.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 139
I've ordered a cheap LED setup and i will see how that goes.

I do have another concern. I have some strangle curling/damage to some of the leaves of my older plants. What could this be? I transplanted these yesterday.

Thanks for all the help.
MrMasterFlash I think with the medium being too wet it's causing some stunting in your seedlings, for a start maybe get some good airflow from a fan going on them to help dry that soil and those lights will definitely do the trick. I myself use T8s, cfls and some par 38 led lamps and they all work well for indoor starting. What ever you can afford should work, with cheaper lights that output less it's ideal for them to be a bit closer to the seedlings. All the best hope your plants do well

Last edited:
I started by terminating the seeds
Well there's your problem :)
(just teasing, I typo all the time but rarely are they amusing)
They have been living in the seed trays with a clear cover on to create a green house. I have read that I should remove the cover now and that might be the problem.

Note: They are on a heat mat and it is cold in the UK atm roughly 20° most of the time.
Good suggestions so far. Definitely get them out of the covers and get a fan going, I learned that after several failures - even just a little airflow makes a big difference.

For lights, I have several of these https://www.amazon.com/Hykolity-Lin...nt/dp/B07TM97LWY/ref=sr_1_5?crid=K8G01KZ3KCTP that have worked pretty well for me, and they don't draw all that much.

Those browning leaves - how do they feel?

The tips of the leaves dying, it's probably that they're not able to keep themselves hydrated, it's quite possibly like CaneDog said about overwatering and transpiration. It also looks like those plants have dropped some leaves already?

Dry and papery but not papery enough that I'm certain that's the right descriptive.

It has gotten worse on one plant but otherwise they're mostly stable. They do have some simple lighting now.

Dan

20211224_175510.jpg

Dry and papery, hmm. Should be at least moderately firm and not feel dry.

What's the soil moisture like? What's your watering regimen?

The most obvious thought would be underwatering, but in my experience, dry & papery can actually come from OVER watering too.

Humidity too low, too intense lighting and leaves drying because roots are not strong enough. Usually I keep my seedlings under cover for at least 3 weeks before I take it off.

Last edited:
Humidity too low, too intense lighting and leaves drying because roots are not strong enough. Usually I keep my seedlings under cover for at least 3 weeks before I take it off.
I just suggested in another thread about humidity that it might be ok, but it still may be worth checking that out if these are the same plants @MrMasterFlash

What's the temperature like around them? I'm wondering if you could drop the heat a bit & get a little more humidity.

Heat is currently ranging between 20-29c (68 - 84) and humidity 40-45%. I've got no control with the temperature they're actually growing in a heating cupboard so the boiler provides the warmth. They'd probably do OK outside the cupboard with the current weather but I think they're happier inside it.

I think their growth has been stunted by poor watering and poor enviroment at the start. They're all doing pretty good now.

I'll post a picture of the plants.

Back