• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds My seedlings died on the sun in only 1h!

future_man said:
I will watch for that. What if it is cloudy? I read somewhere even when it is cloudy, lumens reach around 5000 so I think cloudy weather shouldn't be a problem... Why do some people even start them inside then if the temperatures aren't the problem? Maybe good lights produce faster growth. I hope the quality will also be OK in my case, regardless of time needed.
Future,

Most people start indoors to extend growing time. You don't want night time temps any lower than 65-70 degrees. You can start seeds indoors while the night time lows are still in the 40s and have a decent sized plant when the temps rise to acceptable ranges

future_man said:
Why do some people even start them inside then if the temperatures aren't the problem? Maybe good lights produce faster growth. I hope the quality will also be OK in my case, regardless of time needed.

What casweet8 said ^^^^^^^ 

People grow inside for a variety of reasons, but mainly because of space issues (apartment living), or climate issues. If your outdoor climate if moderate and you have the space, you can grow from seed 100% outdoors and have no problems. I like to start my seeds inside because it's a controllable environment. Once they're strong enough to handle the swing in temperatures, the winter is over and temperature outdoors is no longer an issue. .

Hope all this great info in here from the rest of those old pros helps. Best of luck!

future_man said:

... can I just make my own shade with a piece of cloth/fabric/sheet whatever? And remove it later in my plant life? Would that work?

Yes. You can get shade cloth of varying thickness at many hardware stores and nurseries. But you can also just adapt what you have on hand - anything that you can make work. 

The thing is, if you grow a pepper that need longer time to reach the fruit level, in a country like yours (where you have winter with below zero temp), you have to start early, to put your seeds into the pots in January, or February, which you know is not possible, because of freezing time. You start them inside to gain some time, and let them ripe till autumn is coming. There are peppers already cultivated in your country that need a shorter time to ripe, and these you can start already outside (if you have at least a small garden). But even these are started inside, in countryside (at least in Romania), to give them a longer period of time to make fruits. Even if I am not sure if this is quite right, because indoor started plants are more sensible. I use to start peppers and tomatoes inside, for my garden, but I can tell you that the plants started outside, for example from seeds I used previous year to prepare tomato juice and throw out in the garden, even if they started later, and are smaller than those I start inside, in short time they will be same size.
Another reason for starting inside is, we don't have enough seeds to risk and put them outside, in the ground, because a cold night could kill them, or a snail or whatever can eat the small plants, etc.

future_man's question was "Why do some people even start them inside then if the temperatures aren't the problem." I'll rephrase: Why do some people start them inside if they live in a tropical or subtropical climate? 

There is a member here who lives in the tropics. When he saw all of the posts about starting inside and making the time and effort to pot up a bit at a time, he was confused as to why anyone would do that. I explained, and he was very glad to live where he does, because he only ever starts plants in their final pots and outside. I don't know of anyone who lives in areas where it's warm most of the year who starts seeds inside. But I can see that someone who is a new grower and who reads posts about starting inside might be confused and think they need to do the same, even though they live in a warm area. Either that, or playing it safe because of other weather conditions - monsoons, hurricanes, etc…..

Nice to hear, where I am at, temp drop below 50° F at night and outside is not enough for successful germination. I have a small table with shade ready on south side and I am moving some of my plants from east to west windows :) I read a lot that west windows are also good for plants?

The real question is which window(s) get the most light. That varies somewhat by time of year and which side of the globe you are on, as well as which direction your house faces and how close trees and/or other structures are to your house. So don't worry about direction, but be concerned with amount of light.

geeme said:
The real question is which window(s) get the most light. That varies somewhat by time of year and which side of the globe you are on, as well as which direction your house faces and how close trees and/or other structures are to your house. So don't worry about direction, but be concerned with amount of light.

Well that is hard for me to judge either, lets say that on my W window at this time of the year I have light all day starting from 7:00, direct sunrays come to visit at around 14:00 if its not cloudy and sun starts to set around 18:00 due to trees and hills. I think this isn't enough direct sunlight for the plants but we shall see, what do you think?

I will eventually move plants on my S balcony due to the lack of sun but it would really be nice if this would be enough sun, this way I could have chillies in my room.

I think that's fine for now. Peppers need at least 6 hours of good sun every day, so if you hit that in the window, no problem. 

That is really nice to hear, as long as they don't get leggy or produce only few fruits. When you say for now though, I believe you mean I should move them out to full sun when they mature, grow big?

Exactly. When they get bigger and the trunks are thicker and can handle the temps and wind you can put em outside. It would be a good idea to follow the others advice and expose them a little at a time tho.

+1 to thirdcoasttx.

If they get direct sun in the window, that will shorten the amount of time you have to take them through hardening off, but you also need a fan on them. This both simulates wind and helps strengthen the stems, but it also helps prevent the damping off fungus.

The only question in my mind is whether you have space outside in the sun for them. Many apartment/condo dwellers don't have this. If you don't, however, you can get a light setup to extend the time they have light, which would help with production. Hopefully you have space outside, or at least have good sunlight coming in the window. A good amount of sunlight coming in the window could be enough.

I am lucky I guess my back patio is in that akward spot where this time of year it gets about 4 hrs of afternoon sun and that time gradually increases throughout the summer. I also used ho t5s and a fan which I think helped so my seedlings are outside full time and seem to be loving it.

geeme said:
+1 to thirdcoasttx.

If they get direct sun in the window, that will shorten the amount of time you have to take them through hardening off, but you also need a fan on them. This both simulates wind and helps strengthen the stems, but it also helps prevent the damping off fungus.

The only question in my mind is whether you have space outside in the sun for them. Many apartment/condo dwellers don't have this. If you don't, however, you can get a light setup to extend the time they have light, which would help with production. Hopefully you have space outside, or at least have good sunlight coming in the window. A good amount of sunlight coming in the window could be enough.

Yea I made a space on S balcony, I will move them there once the temps are a bit friendlier.

thirdcoasttx said:
I am lucky I guess my back patio is in that akward spot where this time of year it gets about 4 hrs of afternoon sun and that time gradually increases throughout the summer. I also used ho t5s and a fan which I think helped so my seedlings are outside full time and seem to be loving it.

So 4 hours of direct sun is really all it takes? The rest is light in the shade which still provides enough lumens for successful growth? And I thought my 8W fluorescent light will provide more light than shade

It seems to be doing the trick my patio is kind of in a north westerly direction but were I live as the summer goes on the back patio will progess to about 8 hrs of direct sunlight. Check out my glog for pics.

You can tent the peppers under a white sheet. Take a large planter 10 gallon. Tomato wire supports into the planter. Tent with a large white sheet. Takes about a week then repot at night. Your plants will be happier now.

Back