• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

My Thai Habaneros

Growing Habaneros here in LOS (Land of Smiles) is a bit of a challenge. We deal with temperatures that are too high, horrible soil conditions, and a germination rate that is abysmal. Here is a picture of our one success. The seeds came from the fruit of a Costa Rican Habanero. This photo this morning (Saturday the 27th) @ 9am.

SaturdayRed.jpg

Hoping to use the seeds to grow succeeding generations to finally get an acclimated Habanero.

They look fantastic. Would it be possible to let the plants pollinate inside a temperature controlled environment and then put them outside?

The simple answer is probably, but not practical. We don't have aircon and the idea is to get them to grow here naturally. Starting in May, the rainy season will moderate the temperature somewhat. Those peppers were hand pollinated by me in early January when the temps were under 32c. All subsequent attempts failed. The plant is flowering like crazy and growing, but dropping all of it's flowers. After much research, it seems we'll have to live with this for a while. Thanks for the comment. They are real beauties. The birds got one while it was still very green; I tried it and it was about the same heat as Thai chilies, so I have fond hopes for these. Cheers.

Novacastrian said:
How hot can it get where you are in Thailand?

The last 2 weeks every day has been 35 - 37c; yesterday was cloudy and 29c all day. Night time runs 25 to 28c, 28c being average for this time of year. The Thais say they have 3 seasons; hot, hotter, and hottest. LOL. As to how hot it "can" get? Up to 40c, although where I live I've never seen it over 39c and that was only once in 7 years. I'm about 80k west of Bangkok in a small rural village.

I went to google earth and typed in "80 kilometers west of bangkok", Thawi Watthana is what came up!

Now what were you saying? :lol:

Oh I thought you knew some Thai, no prob.

Changwat=Province
Amphur is like a county.
Go west on Rt 4 through Nakhon Pathom and keep going west after Rt 4 turns south. Continue to the river (Mae Khlong) and you should see Ban Pong.

Ah, so you found Ban Pong, good. It's a great little town, very friendly.
Yes, it is dry now. We've just had rain a few days ago for the first time in 3 months. Rainy season starts sometime in April and goes to October/November.

Rice (many canals for irrigation) Thai chilies, corn, mangoes, bananas, papaya, fish and fresh water shrimp, to name a few. Up north it's a little cooler in the mountains and they grow tangerines (the Thais call them oranges) and on and on and on. Thailand also grows some pretty good coffee beans.
Food in general is very, very cheap compared with the west. Today for instance, my wife and I each had a massive plate of a fried rice dish (basil pork and basil chicken) and a take-home dish for dinner for less than $3 USD. Noodles for lunch are about 35 cents at most shops.

thailand is awesome.. if my family would come with me i'd be living there in a heartbeat... operating a speed boat tour guide service :)

Novacastrian said:
Great stuff! I could handle the heat there i think but not the humidity.

The humidity isn't all that bad here in Ratchaburi and when the humidity is high the temperature is usually low(er).
I've acclimated which is why we don't have aircon.
An Aussie mate of mine is here now on break from work staying with his Thai wife. :)

mel said:
thailand is awesome.. if my family would come with me i'd be living there in a heartbeat... operating a speed boat tour guide service :)

Ah, so you know! :)
The Andaman side is my favorite.

AjarnV said:
Ah, so you know! :)
The Andaman side is my favorite.

yes i do know :D i dream of returning to thailand :) the andaman side is beautiful (cant you tell from my avatar??) one day i will return.. you are very lucky to be living in the LOS :)

mel said:
yes i do know :D i dream of returning to thailand :) the andaman side is beautiful (cant you tell from my avatar??) one day i will return.. you are very lucky to be living in the LOS :)

That would've been my guess. Yes, I do feel lucky to live here, life is sweet. Cheers.

And then there was one; I harvested 3 of 4 peppers yesterday.

3Beauties.jpg

3FromtheTop.jpg

Of course I couldn't resist trying one; flavor 10, heat 8 or 9; didn't really eat enough to be sure.

Back