• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

My Tomatoes 2009

Sorellina said:
Ciao all-

I managed to take a few photos yesterday of my Whippersnapper plants in between feeding times at the zoo. They're about a foot tall now and will only double in size. There are many trusses of buds and blossoms on each plant and some smaller fruit set than in the close-up photo. This is an excellent variety for early cherries with good flavour.

WindowsillWhippersnappers041509.jpg

WhippersnapperFruitSetCloseup041509.jpg
Aww, look at the cute little things!

Sorellina,

Do you hand pollinate the blooms or are they setting fruit naturally?

I grew a green sausage in water this winter and though I had dozens and dozens of blooms, I got only three toms to set. The pH and nuits were in the range they were suppose to be and I use a fan, gently shook the plants, everything. Strangely, two times I grew tired of the blooms not setting and borrowed one of the 100 watt CFL bulbs for seedlings. Both times, I had a fruit or two set within two days!

At the office, I don't seem to be having any problem but I am growing a parthenocarpic variety.

Mike

Ciao Mike-

Some tomatoes set fruit easier than others. To hedge my bets, I gently flick the blossoms as soon as they open.

Ciao all-

Quick update: Almost all of the tomatoes now have between 1-2 sets of true leaves so I'm starting to pot them up to 16 oz plastic cups. I got one flat of 18 done today, the tallest first and the dwarf/determinates last.

aah ok, that potato thing got me confused :D, don't know anything about toms except they taste good and eat them very often.

Let's check I have it's name somewhere.. Lycopersicon esculentum.

Ciao Lee-

That's the latin name for all tomatoes except the wild currant ones. I'm talking about the variety name, for example Brandywine is a variety name, so is Roma or San Marzano. Varieties of peppers would be 7-Pot or Dorset Naga.

I told you dunno anything about toms, it was labeled with that name so I thought it's the species name.

Ciao Lee-

Ok, it sounds like this was a purchased plant then, not something you grew from seed. It's odd that the variety name wasn't on a tag, though. Probably the most common potato-leafed tomato is Brandywine. If that's the case, you're in for a treat, it's a really fantastic-tasting beefsteak, a big one for burgers and sandwiches.

Lee,

My taste buds are still in decent condition after 55 years or so and they really cannot tell the difference between the fruit of a store bought and a plant of the same variety I raised from seed!

Honestly, if all I wanted to raise was the popular varieties of toms and peppers, it would be stupid for me to grow from seeds, unless I really wanted to waste time and money. You figure the cost of seeds, potting soil, lighting, water, containers and your work and no way can one raise three plants for $7.50 per variety. But if you want those special, best tasting toms and peppers, seeds are the only way to go.

Of course, I know you know this!!!!

Mike

Ciao all-

Toronto is having fine weather today, so I put the two Whippersnapper plants outside for a dose of real sunlight. They're covered with blossoms again, so I expect to be getting another large flush of fruit shortly. I need to get the micro-dwarfs potted up into their final containers and get those guys outside too.

Ciao Mike-

Yes, I think they have a similar growth habit. I grew Tiny Tim last year, but it's non-representative data because I had it under fluorescents the entire season and it eventually got leggy. I may grow it with Whippersnapper next year for a side-to-side comparison. My gut feeling is that Tiny Tim will be a smaller plant.

I like growing the tinytims, they are real good producers especially for a determinate, but they aren't really the best tasting cherry toms in my opinion. They are also said to be a good variety to mature in low light levels

Ciao Potawie-

Yes, you're right about the low light levels. Last year, I did an experiment, trying to see which of the smaller tomatoes would be a good candidate for Duane to grow in his office. He doesn't have access to a window from his desk so I tried different varieties using fluorescents as their only light source. They did eventually get leggy, but Tiny Tim was the only one to bear fruit. Others I tried were Florida Petite, Tigerette Cherry, Hardin's Miniature, Yellow Canary, and Red Robin.

Back