• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

My Tomatoes 2009

Ciao all-

Update:

After struggling with a few stubborn germinators, I now have everything on my grow list for this year. A few late ones are still in cells waiting until they get big enough to pot up, but it's just amazing how fast things are growing.

These guys are almost hardened off. They're only spending nights in the garage when temps fall below 10C. The Whippersnappers will get potted up once more into larger flower pots once this flush of fruit has stopped, but the micro-dwarfs are in their homes for the season.

Whippersnappers

WhippersnappersOutside042409.jpg

Whippersnapper Fruit

LotsofWhippersnapperFruit050109.jpg

Micro-Dwarfs (L --> R: Florida Petite, Red Robin, Tigerette Cherry (2), Red Robin (2))

FloridaPetiteTigeretteCherryRedRobi.jpg

Red Robin Flowers

RedRobinFlowers050109.jpg

Love your toms :)!!. They look so much better then my shop bought plant. Will post a pic soon

Ciao all-

I am SO glad my micro-dwarfs and Whippersnappers were in the garage this morning! We had a wicked thunderstorm which brought high winds and dime-sized hail. My peas are a bit shredded and may need to be re-sowed, but the tomatoes would have been toast for sure had they been outside. Most of the plants will recover, but it's just so brutal looking at the aftermath.

Lee, your tomato plant is adorable. I like the little oblate (flattened) shapes.

Ciao all-

A picture's worth 1000 words, right? Here's a visual of the nastiness. The coin is a Canadian dime for reference.

NastyHail050909.jpg

HailwDimeforReference050909.jpg

As soon as things dry out a bit more, I'll get out there and re-sow some of the peas I lost.

We got the nasty hail too, but I got warned by a phone call about 20 min ahead of time and was able to get everything back into the greenhouse that I'd just brought outside:)

WOW ! - I will be growing commercially for the first time this year. much to learn.....

You have an amazing amount and varity of toms !

What is you FAVOURITE ? For suace makeing ( italian or hot sauce )

CM

Ciao CM-

I can't answer that question completely objectively as Uncle Charlie's Giant Italian Pear is my family's heirloom. It's a very large bomb-shaped red paste tomato, very dense, requiring little cooking down to make a thick sauce. Others I also like in the same category are Opalka, Uncle Steve's Italian Plum, and Franchi Pear. I'm trying Matt d'Imperio for the first time on strong recommendations. I also like Romeo for sauce, another large red paste.

How do I purchase seeds from you Sorellina ?

I will take your recommendations - as sauce is likely what I will use them for.

Uncle Charlie's Giant Italian Pear- family's heirloom.
Opalka,
Uncle Steve's Italian Plum,
Franchi Pear

Ciao all-

After what seems like forever, I can report ripe tomatoes!

Saturday's salad went from this:

RipeWhippersnappers052309.jpg

Fruit look a bit red, but they're actually pink.

And this:

MoreRipeWhippersnappers052309.jpg

To this:

FirstTomatoHarvest052309.jpg

And finally to this:

SaladofWsnappersVioletsGOnionsLBalm.jpg

This garden salad also contains violets, over-wintered Spring onions, lemon balm, and Greek oregano. Duane made a dressing of blackberry vinegar, extra-virgin olive oil, nasturtium jelly, salt, pepper, and golden cayenne powder. Let me tell you it was OUTSTANDING and worth the wait.

I haven't been here much as there is SO MUCH to do outside, it's just crazy. Our silly weather has not been cooperative at all, so now that it's starting to stabilize, it's been a mad rush to get all the prep work done for the planting. I got the onions and okra in on Saturday, all of the 48 indeterminate tomatoes in on Monday, and on Tuesday, focused on getting most of the annual flowers transplanted as well as all of the determinate container tomatoes, the in-ground determinate and dwarf tomatoes, plus some of the corn and beans. Duane's peppers are outside for good, but go back in the garage if foul weather is imminent, likewise the eggplants, basil, and sunflowers. I'm hoping to get all of my stuff in by Friday. Duane just has to shoehorn some time to get his peppers potted up, probably within the next week.

Rain is in our forecast through Thursday, so it's a good time to REST and recover!

I love salads and I agree that looks gorgeous, even in the English summer I survive on salads, I've never seen violets in a salad before.

Outstanding Sorellina, simply outstanding...

Ciao Rainbowberry and Lee-

YES, you can eat violets, violas, johnny jump ups, and pansies, anything in that family. I LOVE putting edible flowers in my salads. Watch for more photos as the season progresses!

Back