my_key's chilli universe v1.0 (beta release)

Hi Pepper people.

This is my first real chilli growing season. I have had a Cayenne and Aji Umba plant for a while and both have inspired my to start my discovery in the wonderful world of Chillies. That and being sent a Naga Morich pod with my seed order from fatalii.net. You never forget that first Naga rush (that's why I have 4 plants now, but they're only at their 4th leaf pairs, so I'm pretty far away from harvesting pods of those).

img_3949.jpg

My first tray that was germinated a while back. It contains:

4/ Naga Morich
4/ Thai
4/ Aji Umba
2/ Lemon Drop
1/ Mme Jeanette (the other one died after coming up as a weak and stunted seedling. It happens...)
2/ Fish
2/ Jalapeño Early
4/ Bolivian Rainbow

I've got 3 more seed trays like this, that are currently germinating.

img_3958.jpg

This is the second seed tray 8 days after sowing. You can see the first sprouting seed from this tray which is a "Jalapeño, Hercules".

It contains the following seeds:
img_3962.jpg

Besides the Hercules these seeds have already sprouted to this day: Limón, Habanero Ivory, Serrano Tampiqueno, Bird's Eye Baby.

Third seedtray contains:
img_3963.jpg

Here only the Habanero Brown Large, the Pink Habanero and the 7 Pot Yellow have sprouted.

My 4th seedtray contains Morouga Red, Congo Trinidad, Aji Cito, Orange Bhut Jolokia (from semillas.de, wondering what will come from this), 2x Pimenta de Neyde, 2x Douglah, Eskimo Naga, 2x CAP 1479 and 4 different Mexican Manzano varieties I've got from smokemaster.

My final smaller seedtray contains Aji Escabeshe, Black Scorpion Tongue, Royal Black, Aji Panca, PI 370004, Bhut Jolokia, Hongarian Hot Cherry, Czech Black, Cascabel and Pepper Pen.

I also have 5 cayenne plants in hydro and a big one in a pot.

I know it isn't much compared to many of you maniacs out there, but it's not too bad for a first season is it?

A bigger Cayenne plant in a pot:

img_3943.jpg

The box behind that Cayenne harnesses a GH Aquafarm ready to grow one of my price specimens.

Don't worry, you are fast on your way to becoming a maniac like the rest of us!:lol: That's a pretty good list. I am also growing the orange bhut from Semillas.de. I am interested in seeing what comes of them and look forward to seeing pictures from others growers to see what they get as well. I just planted my seeds on Saturday, so we are about on the same timeline.

Good luck!
jacob

Ballzworth said:
nice selection. in your 1st picture, how long ago was it that they germinated. lookin good so far!

I've put those in the tray at the end of november, beginning of december. They were done in batches, so I can't give an exact date, but it's from October 27 onwards. Because every single seed germinated, it gave me enough confidence to go and buy 3 new seedtrays. The fist two of those were sown the January 9th. The 2 others had to wait on trades to arrive and were sown Januari 17th.

I left one litte place for fatalii seeds, that I'm still waiting on. I didn't want to miss out on that variety :)

@jjs7741: My orange Bhut was planted that same weekend on Sunday (Jan 17), so it would be nice to compare a bit later on.

My Rocoto, Peruvian Red (from fatalii, not the ones from smokemaster), Jalapeño Craig's Grande and Peter Pepper Red (penis chilli) have shown they've turned into live plants and have broken their surface.

I'm surprised the rocoto has germinated already, even faster than a lot of anuums. May it grow the fattest rocoto ever :D

Congrats on the success so far! Nice selection of chili's too. The plants are looking healthy, but they could use some strengthening up. Be sure to turn a small fan on them every now and then so they thicken up along the stems.

No not yet. It usually takes about 2 days longer for me to receive them then the sending takes. Dunno why but usually its 2 days after I get word that my package has arrived, that their package arrives at my place.
Since you've just got my seeds, I'm guessing mine will be here shortly. No worries. I will let you know as soon as they arrive. Good luck with those seeds!

For your first year growing peppers, you are well on you way to joining us other out of control folks. :lol: Impressive list and great looking seedlings.

my_key said:
I've put those in the tray at the end of november, beginning of december. They were done in batches, so I can't give an exact date, but it's from October 27 onwards. Because every single seed germinated, it gave me enough confidence to go and buy 3 new seedtrays. The fist two of those were sown the January 9th. The 2 others had to wait on trades to arrive and were sown Januari 17th.

I left one litte place for fatalii seeds, that I'm still waiting on. I didn't want to miss out on that variety :)

are you going to "pot up" on those ones?

I agree that I don't want to miss out on the Fatalli either. I too just got my seeds which is probably what I'm most excited about.

Ballzworth said:
are you going to "pot up" on those ones?
I've put some that needed it the most in a 12x9 cm pot already. The other ones will have to wait a bit until I find some time, but it will happen soon.

Noshownate said:
Nice lookig plants mykey you got any pics of your aji umba plants real excited to try this variety!!
They're on the front row in the first picture. The 4 plants in the 2 first pots from the left with the red tag that says Adjoema (dutch spelling). I currently haven't got any (pictures of) bigger plants.

I read about that in your thread. Can't wait really!

Update: NuMex Big Jim and Hungarian Yellow Way Hot show their helmets and I'm officially a moron because I've beheaded my Bird's Eye Baby seedling. Luckily that was one of the fastest to sprout so I have resown it immediately. Why o why did I have to ignore my own advise to not try and tear the seed casing off... the seedling will manage on it's own. Just keep the air humid and DO NOT HANDLE THE SEEDLING! 'Nough said: I'm a moron. Sigh. Luckily I always keep some spares around for when disaster (or stupidity) strikes. Why is it so hard to let the plants grow themselves?

BTW: I'm also helping out in organising a grow contest of wild chillies this year. I'm quite excited about growing and cooking with wild capsicums. Most of them are so rare that it's a bit like growing you're own white tigers or panda's and cooking with them :D

Back