my_key's chilli universe v1.0 (beta release)

Which wilds are you growing this year? So far I have sowed C. Galapagoense, C. Lanceolatum, Cumari Pollux, and Goat Pepper. I have ordered more from Fatalii.net. Should be here soon.

jacob

CAP 1144, Ulupica large (C. cardanasii var pendulum) and one other thing that has yet to be decided (for the contest). Maybe duke pequin. I would love to grow galapagoense and lanceolatum, but as of yet I still have to lay my hands on some seeds, but I know just the place to get some ;)

I got mine from fatalii. A bit pricy, but if they grow it will be worth it. If all goes well, I will happily share, but it will be at least 6 months before I get some if at all. I know the galapagoense does not flower easily, so I hope it does well here.

I also got C. Chacoense (aka At. Hunziker) from a trade, and ordered C. Parvifolium, Ulupica large, and Purple flowered Chacoense from fatalii.net. I will sow these when they come in.

jacob

Damn, my peruvian red rocoto (fatalii.net) and yellow 7pot (trade) have died. The first one with it's helmet on, the second one for no apparent reason. It looked like a healthy seedling and a little after watering it died, maybe the rainwater was still a bit too cold? But all the other seedlings were fine...

I'm thinking about resowing, but maybe I just have to control myself...

my_key said:
Damn, my peruvian red rocoto (fatalii.net) and yellow 7pot (trade) have died. The first one with it's helmet on, the second one for no apparent reason. It looked like a healthy seedling and a little after watering it died, maybe the rainwater was still a bit too cold? But all the other seedlings were fine...

bad news. always disappointing to see one go. and why not re-sow? control is overrated.

Control? I have 100 seedlings already and haven't even started to sow the faster growers. All said, I will have probably close to 200 plants but only have room for 75. I gave up on control a long time ago.:lol:

jacob

my_key said:

I just lost one of my Brazilian Starfish the same way (helmet on), but saved a Fatalii by carefully removing it before it got full of mould.

BTW, I got your seeds yesterday! :)

Many thanks. I've sowed some already, so waiting patientle for new seedlings. :onfire:

if you guys haven't tasted the Fataliis....you are going to love them...the ones I grew this past year (and actually yar before last) had a great heat...hotter than an O. Hab...and the taste was devine...however, I still stick by the 7 Pot as being my all time favorite...

AlabamaJack said:
if you guys haven't tasted the Fataliis....you are going to love them...the ones I grew this past year (and actually yar before last) had a great heat...hotter than an O. Hab...and the taste was devine...however, I still stick by the 7 Pot as being my all time favorite...

Cool! I am looking forward to tasting a Fatalli, I have some hooks coming finally. I am not impressed with germination rate of peat pucks!!! I guess the BioDome germination rate has spoiled me, less than a week and I have hooks showing on my Peruvian Whites.

Sorry, didnt mean to highjack your thread MyKey. Your plants look good in the photo, any updates??? :D

No bad. The update is comming but I've been crazy busy and I really have to make time to take the pictures and post an update...

In the mean time you can see me suffer if you want (in dutch but there's an explanation on the right side if you go to youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHtkgpZLylQ):
[video=youtube;bHtkgpZLylQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHtkgpZLylQ[/video]
:oops:

Sorry to hear about your rocotos and 7pod, the pics look great, nice video as well :) best of luck! cant wait to see more updates

Hey, "oh my god" in Dutch translates the same to English, lol.

Looks like you're on your way. Interesting grow list too.

Ouch!

I only wish I could actually listen to it in the native Dutch! :)

Couple of friends of mine did something similar with Dragon's Blood once (though they had been drinking heavily). It was a 'religious experience' for them...:lol:

An update. Pictures are from yesterday.

Some smaller plants:
img_4286%20%28Modified%20in%20GIMP%20Image%20Editor%29_web.jpg

The naga's have suffered from mildew a bit. Caught it early though and have been treated with Sulphon from Ecostyle:
img_4291.jpg

I'm wondering why this happened because no other variety has it. Maybe because they have a very dense leave canopy. I'm airing the room more. Any other tips?

I did end op sowing some more seeds:
img_4284.jpg

In this tray (januari 31): Habanero Caribbean Red (the 2 at the bottom), Champion, 7 pod, 7 pod strain #2, Aji Cristal, Little Elf
All from fatallii.net except the little elf.
Tray of February 8: Junglerain Black Chilli, Trinidad Scorpion Morouga blend (2), 7 pot yellow (2), Congo Trinidad, Pepper Pen, CGN 22871, PI 370004, Tabasco
The first 3 and the pepper pen are live currently, but I still give them time.

img_4306.jpg

"Jalapeño, Early" going strong.

img_4315.jpg

Accidently overfed the Lemon Drop couple of weeks ago, but as soon as I saw leaves yellowing I have flushed the pot and it is currently quite healthy and growing strong. New growth is nice dark green, so I think it hasn't suffered too much...?
After taking the picture I gave it a stake to straighten it a bit.

I have a Cayenne pod:
img_4280.jpg

The green trays you all saw pictures of now contain some healthy seedlings:
img_4282.jpg

The huge one in the back on the right is an Aji Amarillo, the other big one in the middle is an Aji Habanero. I'm a bit afraid of the growth rate of these bacca's, my Aji Escabeshe is racing as well. Does anybody has any data or pictures of what I can expect of any of the baccatums that I have? I know I can look them up at fatallii.net, but I'm not sure if I'll get that good of a result in my first year. I'm more interested in what I can expect as an amateur...

Some of the seedlings of seeds I got from Smokemaster and JungleRain: http://picasaweb.google.com/mr.michaelcox/ChilliSeason2010#5439020103278965554

Nate's fatalli: http://picasaweb.google.com/mr.michaelcox/ChilliSeason2010#5439018872964069858 (today, one day after the picture was taken I've discovered a 3rd seedling has popped up overnight).

Other photographs can be seen here: http://picasaweb.google.com/mr.michaelcox/ChilliSeason2010#

One more series of pictures and then I'll stop for this update. Promise.

My Creole peppers are doing rather well and I felt the need to point that out.

I really look forward to do some Creole cooking...
...with my Mme Jeanette:
img_4295.jpg

...and my Aji Umba (which despite the name is actually a chinense. In dutch we write the name differently "Adjoema", that way you cannot confuse them with baccatums):
img_4297.jpg

I recently bought this book. Click image for some pictures of recipes (scroll down a bit). It's a great book. And it makes me wish for a vacation in the West-Indies because the pictures are just to die for. And who here doesn't love some great spicy food?

Back