• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Mysterious Pepper

Hey everybody!

I received a pepper from a small roadside shop right outside of Penn State University's main campus. I forgot the name, but decided to plant it anyway. It was a small plant that took FOREVER to grow anything (at least longer than my jalapenos) but when it did it grew weird looking balls of fire! They are probably near the same heat as a habanero.

That was last summer. Now i'm looking to identify this plant!

These are pictures of it (note: there are two types of peppers in these pictures. Fataliis and Unknown)
20100809180854.jpg

20100728124031.jpg

I have some ideas as what they may be but i dont really know! I also have about 500 seeds from this plant saved. Whoever finds out what kind of pepper it is first can have some if they wish!

Thanks!

You must have visited the same place I did in the Hills Plaza. The longer yellow pods are fataliis but if I remember correctly, the Amish fellow had them all labeled as habaneros.

those look a lot like jamaican yellow mushroom peppers that i grow.

some people would call that a jamaican scotch bonnet but yellow mushroom peppers have move annuum characteristics and scotch bonnets are a mostly chinense variety.

They are not Scotch bonnets, but they likely are mushroom peppers. Scotch bonnets are C. chinense, mushroom peppers are C. annuum

Back