• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Mystery Pepper Plant

IMG_20110706_175459.jpg

IMG_20110706_175520.jpg

Can anyone tell me what these mystery pepper plants are? I was sold these at a green house and was only told they were hott, they had no idea what they actually were. They think they come from mexico but were unsure. Some guy came in with the seeds and had the owner of the greenhouse grow them for him...i was just buying some excess that he didn't buy.

Any ideas?? The suspense is killing me!!!

Oh btw, this is my first post! I've been reading and looking at grow logs, seems like a great community here and i'm also obsessed with peppers.

I'm going to have to take some updated pics of these tonight. I'm hoping there not jalapenos, but who knows at this point..They currently have tiny peppers forming, and it almost looks like there going to be sticking straight up instead of hanging down.. I'll take updated pics tonight.

Can't help you with the ID, but as Raelacea said, it looks very happy.

And :welcome: , you've come to the right place if you're obsessed with peppers.

I have a couple quick questions for you guys. About how long does it normally take for a pepper like that to go from where it is now to ripe? And also, whats the best way to pick the peppers and encourage more growth or to keep it as healthy as possible? Cut it off at the base of the stem? Leave most of the stem? Thanks for your guys input and help.

I have a couple quick questions for you guys. About how long does it normally take for a pepper like that to go from where it is now to ripe? And also, whats the best way to pick the peppers and encourage more growth or to keep it as healthy as possible? Cut it off at the base of the stem? Leave most of the stem? Thanks for your guys input and help.
1) Pod growth and ripening time depends on climate, pepper type and other stuff.

2) They tend to snap off naturally, taking most of the stem with it. If you left the stem on the plant it would just shrivel off anyway.

3) Supposedly you should pick em as they ripen to encourage more pod production. Though if you can't eat them fast enough they'll last longer on the plant -vs- sitting on your kitchen table.

4) Don't over-water or overfertilize them at this point. Use any nutrients sparingly and at 1/2 strength or less, especially nitrogen. Regular Miracle Gro would probably be too much for them now, even 1/2 strength, so don't bother with it imho. Some people may try to use a foliar bloom sprays or "bloom boosters" around now, but not all of them work well and it would be easy to burn your plant with it if you already have rich soil.

5) Less attention is often better.

I'm surprised no one else has any idea what these may be or any input. Bummer :( I would like to add that for whatever reason all my peppers this year seem really healthy but stunted growth wise as far as height and amount of leaves... is this lack of nutes?

I see all of your grow logs and am so jealous lol.

Here is updated pics on the mystery pepper, does this help at all? Sadly the peppers haven't started turning color yet, but I'm really hoping for some more thoughts/opinion on the plants :beer:

8c72e1fa-orig.jpg

8e83a0c4-orig.jpg

Does that look like a Baccatum variety to anyone else?

But BigT may be right also, possibly Tabasco or another Frutescens relative.

Might be another week or two before we can get closer to a positive ID.

Some close up photos of the flowers at various stages of development may help. Do the flowers earlier in their development have greenish unopened petals?

I agree that it does somewhat resemble a Frutescens variety.

Perhaps later you can report back on how they taste.

These still have not changed colors!! :( They have turned a lighter green but are definitly still green...is it possible that this particular pepper doesnt turn a particular color when ripe and just lightens?

61671fa7-orig.jpg

Unfortunately I cannot take a close up pic of the flowers as my phone is the only camera i have and it will not focus well enough for a close up thats doesnt blur way to much. I didn't notice any green really on the flowers..pretty much all white. As for how they taste i'm still waiting on them to ripen :( I'll let you know though.

Dunno why or if these would be of interest to anyone, but i'm willing to send seeds when i get them if anyone wants to try them out.

Also I need advice! Do i pick some of them and assume they're meant to stay this color, or do i have more patience and wait and hope they actually change color.

Back