• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Naga crossed with Orange Hab or Carib Red

Wanted to share this with the forum...This plant has been in the ground for over a year, it was grown from seed purchased as "Ghost Pepper" from Pepper Joe..appears to be a Dorset Naga IMO....

The pods look like this....

I saved seed from these pods and they had a great germination rate and seem to grow very well....I'm not sure whether this plant crossed with a Carib Red or Orange Hab, but it is definitely crossed... they have the appearance of a Carib Red and HOPEFULLY a little extra kick in the heat gene...BTW, the plants in the next pictures were grown from clipped extra seedlings in the cups....when I snipped them to let only one per cup grow, I stuck them in a shot glass off water on top of the fridge, rooted them in only water, stuck them in potting soil and they just took off...I also have several of these in the ground and they are VERY happy...

Here are pics off the offspring...

The Keeper of the pods....

Having technical difficulties getting the last pic up...standby...

they all look great. i've got the pepper joe catalog sitting right here. think i'll make the purchase just to see what happens. i've got anole lizards on guard duty this year as well. they do a good job. hungry little boogers.

Not Carribean red hab. Maybe cross of some type. Could be nagaXorange hab.

Really? I'd say the opposite... My Orange crosses made dark green immature pods... Those are light green immature pods, now for that to have happened through a cross you would need the Naga to donate a recessive gene for light green immature pods and the Caribbean red already has two (no suprise what it's donating)... So for an Orange hab cross the Orange Habanero would have to have one dominant dark green gene and one recessive light green gene and then on top of that it would have had to have passed the recessive light green gene as well!

Not very likely... It has to be crossed with a Caribbean Red. No doubt in my mind, the leaves are a dead on match too.

Nice cross man! They should taste great!

Back