seeds Naga Jolokia pepper seeds 855,000 scoville units?

Hi,
I just bought 10 seeds of Naga Jolokia.
Anybody familiar?
Naga Jolokia chilli seeds native to the district of Assam, India. This pepper has been measured at 855,000 scoville units as reported by S.C. Das, Deputy Director of the Defence Research Laboratory located in Tezpur, India. When compared to the Red Savina™ Habanero which was officially measured at 577,000 scoville units, the Naga Jolokiai is even HOTTER at a scorching 855,000 scoville units!
Is this for real?
Thanks from a new, novice chilihead.
Amouageman

Kentucky soil is not Indian soil. Not busting on Kentucky soil, but just because a pepper has been rated at a said amount, that doesn't mean you automatically grow a chili to the peak of what it can be. You may want to check more than one source, as I have read other sources that say much differently about your seeds. Remember Grasshopper, a thousand mile journey begins with the first step.

amouageman said:
Hi,
I just bought 10 seeds of Naga Jolokia.
Anybody familiar?
Naga Jolokia chilli seeds native to the district of Assam, India. This pepper has been measured at 855,000 scoville units as reported by S.C. Das, Deputy Director of the Defence Research Laboratory located in Tezpur, India. When compared to the Red Savina� Habanero which was officially measured at 577,000 scoville units, the Naga Jolokiai is even HOTTER at a scorching 855,000 scoville units!
Is this for real?
Thanks from a new, novice pepperhead.
Amouageman

Now I'm wondering where you got the seeds.

Everything that Defcon said is true. Let's say the Tezpur really does clock an average so far above the red sav hab that it can indeed hit 850K... That would be growing in India. Here in North America, the conditions would be so different as to alter the ability for potency of the pepper.

Add to that the fact that the famous Tezpur pepper we have been trying to get our hands on, according to our research is under lock and key and is being protected by the Military because it's so potent as to be dangerous. Whose military, is still to be discovered and even so, we haven't been able to get our hands on the actual pepper, nevermind the famed seeds.

That said.

I personally think the existence of this famed Tezpur is a hoax and until someone HPLC tests them to show hotter than the red sav hab, the red sav hab, in my mind will hold the record. (Bearing in mind of course that ANY breed of hab, chocolate habs, goat peppers, etc, stands the chance of clocking higher than the red sav hab. Why? Because it's a chinense and they don't have a set scoville rating, they have a scale into which they will mostly fall and even then, the pepper's potency will differ from pepper to pepper even on the same bush.

Now, from what I have been able to find out, the Naga Jolokia is certainly an extremely hot pepper, but the articles that claim its existence say that it's a Capsicum frutescens and as such, couldn't possibly be hotter than a chinense (the red sav hab) Frutescens are essentially cayennes. And, there is just no conceivable way that a cayenne could possibly be hotter than a red sav hab. None. Another variety of chinense I could see, but not a frutescens, it just doesn't seem possible.

Fwiw, Chile Pepper Magazine has published several articles about the Naga Jolokia and the claims that had been published about it at that time, and they agree with me about the variety of pepper. The article series goes on to say that the pepper was probably misclassed and it wasn't really a frutescens as claimed in the article, but a chinense, which would put it in the same class as a red sav hab. Making it possible for the pepper to be at least as hot or even hotter than a red sav hab. BUT...

As stated in the article... if it really is 850,000 scovilles, bring it on. Let's put these peppers to the test. The Pope of Peppers didn't buy it then, I don't buy it now.

Personally, I really hope you didn't pay extra for the seeds, it sounds like a scam to me. And if I'm wrong... which I don't think I am, hook me up with some cuttings of the highest yielding plant that grows. :evil:

T... Professional chilihead.

I think the savina is over-rated.
there are a few out there I think that could give it a run for the heat.
as for the naga jolokia, I'll believe it when I see it and a seed in hand with a plant growing and taking a bite. I know a few with extensive seed varieties and yet to see the "legend one"
also would like to add all the names chiles of the same are given, names are placed very easily on what people think they have.
My 2 cents worth,
Marv

fatalliman said:
I think the savina is over-rated.
there are a few out there I think that could give it a run for the heat.
as for the naga jolokia, I'll believe it when I see it and a seed in hand with a plant growing and taking a bite. I know a few with extensive seed varieties and yet to see the "legend one"
also would like to add all the names chiles of the same are given, names are placed very easily on what people think they have.
My 2 cents worth,
Marv

Fwiw, I think the red sav hab is probably overrated too, I've eaten goat peppers and chocolate habs that put red savs to shame. That said, I figure that until someone takes a pepper over to Guinness and gets it officially clocked at higher than 577K, that the red sav officially holds the record.

THAT doesn't mean it IS the hottest, just that Guinness hasn't gotten proof yet that something is hotter.

As for names of chilis, tell me about it... Lookit us, we can't even agree on whether to call them chili peppers, or chile peppers. lol

I've got a pot of Thai peppers growing in our yard that stand a better chance of being super cayennes or even Nagas but they sure as heck aren't Thais... wouldn't be the first time someone mislabeled a packet of seeds.

T.

amouageman said:
Hi,
Thanks for the DETAILED EXPLANATION!!
I bought them on Ebay and here is the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7710027771&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1
Does it look bogus?
20 bucks for 10 seeds...worth a shot I would think..
Thanks again for the info...
Martin

The Ebayer looks legit. I can only question his claim as to the hotness of the peppers.

When buying seeds, we've bought them (so far) from reputable nurseries and even been suprised on what sort of seeds were actually in the packet (see my note to Marv).

That said, Reimer sells a packed of 10 red savinas for $5. So I'm thinking you overpaid for the seeds. BUT, if the seeds really are the famed Tezpurs... you got a good deal and I want in on it.

Does that make sense?

T

The naga having a scoville of 855k is the third biggest myth in chile growing.

$2.00/seed is highway robbery and depends upon the easily gulled to buy them. Heard of the Brooklyn Bridge?.....Have I got a deal for you....

This may be a bit harsh, but I can't tell you how many new chile growers have been fooled by nagas.

Anybody who won't submit to a measureble test for picante in chiles is selling snake oil.

Williard

Totally agree talked to a few of our commercial chile growers and they told me that the naga is super hyped and looks like a cayenne varient and the scoville rating were nothing more then fiction.

No personel experance with growing the naga but they told us the hottest chile is not even the red savina it's the Mexican chocolate habanero.

Mick
Kato's

kato said:
Williard

Totally agree talked to a few of our commercial chile growers and they told me that the naga is super hyped and looks like a cayenne varient and the scoville rating were nothing more then fiction.

No personel experance with growing the naga but they told us the hottest chile is not even the red savina it's the Mexican chocolate habanero.

Mick
Kato's

I saw a test result, I can't remember where that had the chocolate habanero beat the red sav hab, but if I recall correctly, the red sav hab hit third or fourth, it wasn't even second... I wish I could remember the details.

That said, I still think that ANY chinense could potentially beat any other chinense on a potency scale, but I find it hard to believe that any one chinense would consistently beat all others.

Although, I'm not above regularly using whatever pepper that might turn out to be! In fact, I'd say: "bring it on!"

Suffice it to say that I think we are all in agreement that without official testing results, the safest and most correct response to the question "What is the hottest pepper" would be: "Capiscum Chinense". Especially since something like 98% of the chilihead market can't even taste anything if there are pure habs or scotch bonnets in the mix.

Are you guys in agreement?

T.

amouageman said:
Tina,
I appreciate your expert comments.
Willard,
I am new here and appreciate the comments. I don't appreciate being told I am a gullable and pretty much an idiot for falling for this. This pepper could indeed be real.
a couple of good articles I found:
http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave/assam_chile2.asp
and
http://www.chez-williams.com/Hot Sauce/chemistry_and_scoville_units.htm
Martin

Martin, thanks for calling my comments "expert" but I'm a long way from there. Knowledgeable, yes, but still very much have a long way to go and a lot to learn about peppers.

I can't wait to see what grows from these seeds.

T.

Martin
I didn't think I called you an idiot. If you thought so I apologize I've heard about the naga for a few years and have yet to have seen this legendery pepper and I agree as there are many varients of the habanero that are given names by people that I also agree are very hot.

If you would like to try a few c.chinese we have many shoot us an e-mail and I'll see you get some for the big price of $0.00
Mick
Kato's

Tina Brooks said:
kato said:
Williard

Mick
Kato's

I saw a test result, I can't remember where that had the chocolate habanero beat the red sav hab, but if I recall correctly, the red sav hab hit third or fourth, it wasn't even second... I wish I could remember the details.

That said, I still think that ANY chinense could potentially beat any other chinense on a potency scale, but I find it hard to believe that any one chinense would consistently beat all others.

Although, I'm not above regularly using whatever pepper that might turn out to be! In fact, I'd say: "bring it on!"

Suffice it to say that I think we are all in agreement that without official testing results, the safest and most correct response to the question "What is the hottest pepper" would be: "Capiscum Chinense". Especially since something like 98% of the chilihead market can't even taste anything if there are pure habs or scotch bonnets in the mix.

T.

I agree. I've tried many varieties of peppers (although by no means as many as the producers on this board...I'm just a consumer). I'm actually growing chocolate habs this year. Bottom line, you have to look at the varietal, and chinense definitely rules the roost when you look at averages. It has already been mentioned that you will get various levels of heat about the mean avg, but when you compare the avg. of one variety vs that of another, chinense is consistently higher.
Another thing to take into consideration (already mentioned) is that there will be a variance in heat from pepper to pepper, plant to plant, etc. Soil content, amount of water, amount of sun....the list of reasons can go on and one.
To me, it is a silly endeavor, simply from the perspective that once you get to a certain heat level (that of a chinense) I think it becomes difficult to tell the difference.
I don't know. Maybe my tastebuds are fried. I tried a sauce at the Pepper Palace (in Gatlinburg, TN) that was measured at a UT lab to be above 1.2 million scoville units. To me, I couldn't tell the difference between it and a sauce called Toxic Waste that is supposedly around 800,000 s.h.u. That was tasting them side by side. I'm not sure I can detect a difference between the scotch bonnets, chocolate habs, or red/orange habs I am growing this year. I can say one thing, though, and I believe we can all agree on this...they (chinense) are all hot. :shock:

staffing said:
Tina Brooks said:
kato said:
Williard

Mick
Kato's

T.

I agree. I've tried many varieties of peppers (although by no means as many as the producers on this board...I'm just a consumer). I'm actually growing chocolate habs this year. Bottom line, you have to look at the varietal, and chinense definitely rules the roost when you look at averages. It has already been mentioned that you will get various levels of heat about the mean avg, but when you compare the avg. of one variety vs that of another, chinense is consistently higher.
Another thing to take into consideration (already mentioned) is that there will be a variance in heat from pepper to pepper, plant to plant, etc. Soil content, amount of water, amount of sun....the list of reasons can go on and one.
To me, it is a silly endeavor, simply from the perspective that once you get to a certain heat level (that of a chinense) I think it becomes difficult to tell the difference.
I don't know. Maybe my tastebuds are fried. I tried a sauce at the Pepper Palace (in Gatlinburg, TN) that was measured at a UT lab to be above 1.2 million scoville units. To me, I couldn't tell the difference between it and a sauce called Toxic Waste that is supposedly around 800,000 s.h.u. That was tasting them side by side. I'm not sure I can detect a difference between the scotch bonnets, chocolate habs, or red/orange habs I am growing this year. I can say one thing, though, and I believe we can all agree on this...they (chinense) are all hot. :shock:

Yep yep.[insert expletive] HOT!

Main Entry: gull·ible
Variant(s): also gull·able /'g&-l&-b&l/
Function: adjective
: easily duped or cheated

I didn't call anybody an idiot and gullible is not a pejorative.

I observe that many persons new to chiles are easily duped by persons who claim to have "the world's hottest pepper" and follow with a desacription of a naga.

You certainly aren't the first to be gulled.

willard3 said:
Main Entry: gull·ible
Variant(s): also gull·able /'g&-l&-b&l/
Function: adjective
: easily duped or cheated

I didn't call anybody an idiot and gullible is not a pejorative.

I observe that many persons new to chiles are easily duped by persons who claim to have "the world's hottest pepper" and follow with a desacription of a naga.

You certainly aren't the first to be gulled.

You have that right Willard, in fact, I believe that even Dave DeWitt was duped, until he found out better. And even so, I still get the impression that his mind is open to the NJ being what the Japanese article claimed it was.

T

Back