• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Naga Morich + Caribbean Red hybrid?

I grow my Naga's from the same batch of seeds which I took from a Naga Morich pod 3 years ago.
Still using those same seeds.

I grew 3 Naga Morich plants this year and they are all producing nice pods, but one of them seems to be producing pods that have characteristics of Naga and Caribbean Red Habs.
the other two appear to be normal Naga's

The guy I got the original Naga pods from grew Caribbean Red and Red Savina Habs alongside
his Naga's so I'm assuming that this might be a hybrid caused by his habs pollinating his Naga's

The first picture is one of the "normal" Naga Morich plants. The second picture is what I think might be a hybrid.

Based on the pictures, does anyone think I'm barking up the wrong tree thinking its a hybrid?
The pods on the "hybrid" are all shorter, fatter, glossier, and more deeply grooved, with a lot less of the small bumpy wrinkly texture that my Naga's always exhibit, but its definitely a Naga plant.

If it IS a hybrid, I have no way of knowing if it crossed with a Caribbean Red or a Red Savina.

I wonder what they will taste like :hell:

Regular Naga:

Non-hybrid1.png

Hybrid?:

Hybrid1.png

Holy moly; please reduce your picture size to 300kb or less. They'll fit the page and load way faster. Your pic quality will be the same. ;)

Nice pods; definitely looks like a cross (2nd pic).

I made some Caribbean Red crossed with Bih Jolokia this year, next year I'll see what happens!

Looks like a cross to me, my Caribbean Red crossed with Congo Trinidad looks like Caribbean Red shape with Congo Wrinkles and pod size between the two.

Caribbean Red (Female Host) x Congo Trinidad (Male pollen donor) F1
Caribbean_Red_X_West_Index_01.jpg

Congo Trinidad (Female Host) x Caribbean Red (Male pollen donor) F1
West_Index_X_Caribbean_Red_02.jpg

Congo Trinidad was the Dominant plant, all crosses had Congo flavor, plant appearance, pod colors and wrinkles... The only thing the Caribbean Red contributed was the appearance of the top of the pod and the pod shape (mostly the bottom).

My Caribbean Red x Orange Hab cross was a different story, the Caribbean was the Dominant plant where it contributed flavor, color, pod shape (mostly) with the Orange Habanero contributing some pod features and immature pod color, plant appearance.

Caribbean Red (Female Host) x Typical Orange Habanero (Male pollen donor) F1
Caribbean_Red_X_Orange_Hab_01.jpg

Caribbean_Red_X_Orange_Hab_02.jpg

It will be interesting to see what the flavor is like, looking at your pictures it would seem that the Caribbean Red contributed mostly pod shape and appearance and possibly immature pod color too (appears lime green). I would be willing to bet the flavor is Caribbean Red like, the heat though I have no idea.

I made some Caribbean Red crossed with Bih Jolokia this year, next year I'll see what happens!

Looks like a cross to me, my Caribbean Red crossed with Congo Trinidad looks like Caribbean Red shape with Congo Wrinkles and pod size between the two.

Caribbean Red (Female Host) x Congo Trinidad (Male pollen donor) F1
Caribbean_Red_X_West_Index_01.jpg

Congo Trinidad (Female Host) x Caribbean Red (Male pollen donor) F1
West_Index_X_Caribbean_Red_02.jpg

Congo Trinidad was the Dominant plant, all crosses had Congo flavor, plant appearance, pod colors and wrinkles... The only thing the Caribbean Red contributed was the appearance of the top of the pod and the pod shape (mostly the bottom).

My Caribbean Red x Orange Hab cross was a different story, the Caribbean was the Dominant plant where it contributed flavor, color, pod shape (mostly) with the Orange Habanero contributing some pod features and immature pod color, plant appearance.

Caribbean Red (Female Host) x Typical Orange Habanero (Male pollen donor) F1
Caribbean_Red_X_Orange_Hab_01.jpg

Caribbean_Red_X_Orange_Hab_02.jpg

It will be interesting to see what the flavor is like, looking at your pictures it would seem that the Caribbean Red contributed mostly pod shape and appearance and possibly immature pod color too (appears lime green). I would be willing to bet the flavor is Caribbean Red like, the heat though I have no idea.

Hello Richard, are you keeping track of pod yield?
Any observations on that?

Definitely looks like a cross but it'll be nearly impossible to know exactly what it was crossed with. Just hope they turn out to be decent

Hello Richard, are you keeping track of pod yield?
Any observations on that?

Not sure if it's due to Hybrid Vigor but they load up nicely, the Caribbean Red x Orange Habanero is probably the most loaded, so much so the branches are weeping from the weight. The other crosses are just now starting to pod up, the Congo (Female) x Caribbean Red (Male) plant I have is friggen huge, it's twice as large as my largest plant at this time last year, it's about a meter tall and more than a meter wide and still growing.

I wasn't very excited for the Caribbean Red x Orange Habanero cross, but after seeing the results, I am SO growing this next year. The pods are larger than a Caribbean Red and blocky shaped, they taste exactly like a Caribbean Red and they have the same heat (if not more). Another cool observation, unlike a Caribbean Red, they completely turn a deep orange color first, then they (evenly) fade into dark red, which is pretty cool and allows me the option of harvesting a day or so early if I want orange colored pods.

Back