naming a new species

hogleg said:
The Canna names bug me a lot more than the pepper names. Agent Orange and Girl Scout Cookies are just a couple I find despicable. I don't mind the pepper mashup names cause they tell you what its made of.

Girl Scout Cookies taste so good and some fire thou!! I love me some of that!

RobStar said:
Uhhhhhhhhh Donnie, a cultivar is a cultivar, a species is a whole `nother thang. Just clearing it up. There are nomenclatural paradigms and we must use them.
BTW nice pods Jedi!
I hope I am not spoiling the fun for you now... Well, I knew that - that is why I asked Frog Dog if he had actually discovered a new species. Thanks for letting us all know once more...
RobStar said:
Uhhhhhhhhh Donnie, a cultivar is a cultivar, a species is a whole `nother thang. Just clearing it up. There are nomenclatural paradigms and we must use them.
BTW nice pods Jedi!
Also, I do agree that we should use the proper nomenclature - exactly why I tried to point out the irony in dogging other people for their naming skills and at the same time you are not using the right terms. So we should not be so judgemental, I think...
Back on track - I find for instance the name Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion well placed - It tells us who made the variety/cultivar, what it derived from and what the new trait is, here peach color. However, it should be up to the breeder to name the creation, so what if you don't like it...
If you do not allow making new names desribing history, origins and new traits for a pepper, you would have to do with names like "Large Red Chili" or "Yellow Hot Chili" - this would be inadequate to describe the vast number of cultivars available.

Back