• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

food Nashville Hot Chicken

Dude! That's AWESOME looking chicken.

I had to break down and try that KFC shit. All the TV commercials making me crazy.

It wasn't bad but I've had it and won't be needing any more.

I lived without stepping foot in a KFC for 15 years, and I hope it will be another 15 before I do it again.

So, is it normal when you order and 8 piece meal, they give you 4 breasts, 3 drumsticks and 1 wing?

Assholes. I hate KFC. 

t0mato said:
What grant said. 

That looks like some killer chicken!

thanks! you shoulda seen it drenched in the spicy lard haha

grantmichaels said:
Dude ... you slayed it! ...

That chicken looks pro, in the best way ...

That almost looks like vacuum or pressure fried, or whatever ...

BOOM!

Thanks! Salt & pepper dry rub over night. Double dip: shake in a bag of flour and spices,  chill on a wire rack, egg milk drench, back in the back for another shake. Fried starting @350 then maintained around 325 cooked for 18ish mins. I tried one brined in buttermilk and matouk's scorpion sauce, but the spiciness only came out very very minimally. I couldn't detect it or anyone else for the most part but at all but my grandma who has  0 tolerance for heat said it was too spicy. In the end, I preferred the salt&pepper dry rubbed chicken. 
Scoville DeVille said:
Dude! That's AWESOME looking chicken.

I had to break down and try that KFC shit. All the TV commercials making me crazy.

It wasn't bad but I've had it and won't be needing any more.

I lived without stepping foot in a KFC for 15 years, and I hope it will be another 15 before I do it again.

So, is it normal when you order and 8 piece meal, they give you 4 breasts, 3 drumsticks and 1 wing?

Assholes. I hate KFC. 

Thanks! It was the same for me. Last time I went into a KFC was probably close to the same time you went haha. No reason to go again. Fuck combos though, I always get the solo spicy breast when I order fried chicken. Screw KFC, go to popeyes lol. Only time I don't order the breast is at this cuban fried chicken joint. Their breasts always come out too dry but their thighs wings & drumsticks are on point. 

I might give it a try. :think: There was a popeye's here ,that soaked their chicken for like 24 to 36 hours. I loved that chicken,but they don't make it that hot anymore. :mope: That was 15 years ago and was the best chicken around here. :drunk:

pepperguy1 said:
I might give it a try. :think: There was a popeye's here ,that soaked their chicken for like 24 to 36 hours. I loved that chicken,but they don't make it that hot anymore. :mope: That was 15 years ago and was the best chicken around here. :drunk:

eh honestly I completely agree with scovie. It was a try it just to try it and never again. Not really worth it but what it does is give you a direction for when you make your own, and make it 10x better. Like I did haha. I wish I coulda tried that popeyes you talk about. Nowadays I just bring my hot powder to popeyes hah. Id be curious to bring the spicy lard drench in a tupperware to popeyes and shake that shit up. 

grantmichaels said:
we used to have Church's in addition to Popeye's, and ma'an that shit was good ... back when ...

I'm more of popeyes person than church's, but when I'm out of town, craving, and no popeyes they're #2 lol. Popeye's recipe for spicy is so on point though, and breasts only. 

Scoville DeVille said:
I just checked. The nearest Popeye's to me is 98.7 miles away.

"Get up man! I need a ride! Here's a glass of water, let's go!" :rofl:
Like I said, I almost drove from Alabama to Nashville to get some spicy chicken lol Not sure if it's worth it for a popeyes though haha

Made a second attempt at this, this time I made sure my phone had battery to take pics.Also made oatmeal yellow cake with strawberries.

20160405_192815.jpg

20160405_195020.jpg

20160405_200917.jpg

Sauced up
20160405_201103.jpg

20160405_201111.jpg

I'm in Asheville NC and ran across this place. Rocky's Hot Chicken, which specializes in Nashville TN style chicken. They have 4 heat levels that count as hot: Hetium, Rocky's Hot Pepperspray, Climbing the Foothills, and XX-Hot. My girlfriend's mexican father got the heatium two thighs and enjoyed the heat, but it was  a bit overwhelming for him. After inquiring, I got the pepperspray breast and 1 wing of the foothills. The xx-hot has a lot of ghost pepper extract, and the foothills has less ghost pepper extract. I also peeked into the kitchen, they use large pressure cookers to fry their chicken. I literally got my chicken minutes after ordering it, albeit there was lots of turnover.  (they use soybean oil too) The pepperspray breast was very nice for me, not overwhelmingly hot though but a nice burn. Id say it would be pretty hot for the average person. The wing however had the spice that was nice and burn ya face off, just like the 1st batch of my own free chicken which had lots of hot powpow including ghost pepper. I only realized to take a picture after i started chowing down.

Also, the actual stuff they put on the breast had a real, not exactly gritty or sandy, but there was definitely a clear solid rub mixed with oil all on top. A little bit too much for my liking, but I've never had real TN chicken so couldn't tell you how it compares if it's suppose to be like that

20160513_184810.jpg

20160513_184805.jpg

So i finally went to Hattie B's and i gotta to say it was really really good. Very long wait though which sucks but that was expected. To me it was probably better than Princes and maybe as good as my favorite place Pepperfire, but i will have to go back to all 3 places to decide :dance:  :onfire: . The sides that i got mac and cheese and the fries were only okay, but the chicken was awesome. I got the hottest (of course) and it was called "shut the cluck up". Had really good heat i was sweating, well it was hot on the patio out there but still was good and hot. The description of it that i saw said had ghost and i think habanero in it, seems like that it said that was a dusting on it so i assume in a powder form. Sorry for the crappy pics, i was more interested in eating than good pictures. 

Attachments

• hattie1.jpg
    hattie1.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 81
  • hattie2.jpg
    hattie2.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 88
  • hattie3.jpg
    hattie3.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 79
  • hattie4.jpg
    hattie4.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 85
Good report ! I see you said it was probably dusted with the ghost/hab mix, but was it dipped in a oily chili/sugar mixture at all?

parker49 said:
I live near Nashville and i absolutely love Nashville Hot chicken, in fact we had some Monday night at a local place here in Clarksville. I haven't had KFC's version and it may be pretty good.  If you are ever in Nashville go to Prince's or Pepperfire, best Hot chicken i've had. 

my sister lives in nashville. stopped at a pepperfire on a recent trip to visit her.

ended up eating there every single day i was in town. amazing.

cubbieblue82 said:

my sister lives in nashville. stopped at a pepperfire on a recent trip to visit her.

ended up eating there every single day i was in town. amazing.
i completely agree, you can't go wrong with pepperfire.

My wife and i went back to Pepperfire for the first time in a while this weekend, and it's as good as i remember. I am not going to say it is better than Hattie B's because that was awesome too, but i can say that both my wife and i thought it was as good, a bit hotter (i got some pretty bad cap cramps later that day, i of course got their hottest the xxhot or whatever), and we didn't have to wait for an hour and half in line.   

pepperfire 2.jpg

pepperfire1.jpg

Looks Delicious! Great minds think alike! I literally fried up some of the same chicken in the previous post last night! No cramps, a very nice heat, but this morning oh boy did the lava flow. That lard fried chicken is delicious on the way in for sure, not so much the way out lol

unfortunately i didn't take any pictures 

Back