• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Nastiest tasting pepper

I'm with ThePhill.... Orange Habs. :sick: You are not alone, bro!

Perfumey tastes? I find most yellow Chinenses have a perfume taste. Not a real fan of 'em. Except for Fatalii (still has a purfumey taste to me but there's something else about 'em that overshadows that--in a good way) and I want to give Limon a burl, I'm not growing them anymore.

As for the soapy Aji Lemon / Lemon Drop thing... I've never got that! I love the taste of Aji Lemon.

I haven't tried a Butch T yet, but last years yellow scorpions were not good at all. I tried them fresh and dried.

Worst one I ever had was at Justaguy's place.

Been a while since I heard that, but I was so drunk that night I wasn't even surprised.
:rofl:

That pepper you are talking about Seth I believe was the Chocolate Hab/Indonesian Chile cross. Was that off the plant that hit 7 foot high and bushy as hedgework?

I have heard a lot of people talking about the bad taste of Peter Peppers. "Dirt" is one of the adjectives often used.

I haven't tried a Butch T yet, but last years yellow scorpions were not good at all. I tried them fresh and dried.

Yeah, I remember thinking the Yellow Scorps I grew last season were one of the worst yellow Chinenses I have tasted.

It's a shame 'cause I really do like the look of most yellow Chinenses....

Been a while since I heard that, but I was so drunk that night I wasn't even surprised.
:rofl:

That pepper you are talking about Seth I believe was the Chocolate Hab/Indonesian Chile cross. Was that off the plant that hit 7 foot high and bushy as hedgework?

It wasn't one of yours. It came in a care pack from someone.

everyones tastes are different i guess I like all of the chilis u guys dont like for the most part, I think green ancho/ poblano is one of my least favs, but even those have their uses, for me some of them i dont like fresh, some i like only powdered, just a crapshoot iguess but for sure all the ornamentalsi have tasted have to be the nastiest ive tasted so far

shocked to see all the hate on Orange Habaneros. That's one of my favorite flavors of pepper (though Scotch Bonnet is my fav) - nice citrusy undertones, good heat - really like that pepper a lot.

a friend of ours stopped by with some Lemon Drops, and he didn't like them, said they tasted like soap. So, we tried them and ..yea...we got the soap flavor.

When the kid and it tasted some Lemon Drops the summer before, we didn't get the soap flavor, but then again we weren't looking for a soap flavor, and the ones we tried were grown totally different in a different year in a different location with different ferts and suns.....

ok, you get what I was getting to~

Harry and I had a similar exchange last year about these or some other kind of lemony-ish type thing. Mine tasted like I had snorted soap, lemon rind, and PVC dust. His were quite good. I have sworn them off, but should perhaps try them in the ground and see if there's a difference.

This is one of my favorite threads in awhile, BTW.

As far as a soapy taste goes I think heat does it for Baccatums.
I usually plant early and or grow year round.
The spring harvest taste great but the next batch that comes from Aug. buds ends up always tasting soapy.
But the same plant the next spring puts out good tasting pods.

I had some of Eco seeds Giant Chocolate Habs that were the bitterest pepper I ever ate.Nasty.

I think that's a solid theory. My Criolla Sellas and BAC593605s definitely ebb and flow depending on weather. I can't tell if its the heat, or water starvation, or the flood and wilt, or what, but sometimes they're amazing (especially the Criollas), and other times, not so hot.

CATARINA CHILE was bad too

will never grow them again, they tasted like dirt what a waste of space, not much heat either

CAT YELLOW (AKA MACKSKASARGA) JUST LIKE THE CATARINA TOTAL CRAP!!

Harry and I had a similar exchange last year about these or some other kind of lemony-ish type thing. Mine tasted like I had snorted soap, lemon rind, and PVC dust. His were quite good. I have sworn them off, but should perhaps try them in the ground and see if there's a difference.

Our exchange was about the C. Chinense Limón. For the most part when people are referring to Lemon Drops they're talking about the C. Baccatum.

I think that's a solid theory. My Criolla Sellas and BAC593605s definitely ebb and flow depending on weather. I can't tell if its the heat, or water starvation, or the flood and wilt, or what, but sometimes they're amazing (especially the Criollas), and other times, not so hot.

I'll reiterate the observation of conditions having an impact on whether a plant puts out nasty tasting pods or not. Last season I had Bishop's Hat pods that at one time were screaming hot and other times had a bitterness to them that spoiled the experience of eating them.

This season I can taste differences between my orange Rocoto pods depending on what the plant was grown in and where in the garden it was situated.

One of the more troublesome plants this season was a Fatalii plant that produced pods with a consistent bitter after taste. I will not be writing off the variety though based on the results from just one plant in one set of growing conditions.

Our exchange was about the C. Chinense Limón. For the most part when people are referring to Lemon Drops they're talking about the C. Baccatum.

I'll reiterate the observation of conditions having an impact on whether a plant puts out nasty tasting pods or not. Last season I had Bishop's Hat pods that at one time were screaming hot and other times had a bitterness to them that spoiled the experience of eating them.

This season I can taste differences between my orange Rocoto pods depending on what the plant was grown in and where in the garden it was situated.

One of the more troublesome plants this season was a Fatalii plant that produced pods with a consistent bitter after taste. I will not be writing off the variety though based on the results from just one plant in one set of growing conditions.

Sorry, Harry. My mistake. Thought it was Lemon Drops. Didn't go back and look/self-correct. Will do so next time.

Sounds like the theory is somewhat repeatable, though. Be cool to confirm with something more controlled, but certainly I don't have the lab to do it. :)

i vote for Inca Berry

tasted like perfumed soap

and i know what that tastes like cause my momma washed my mouth out with some when i was little
yuck!! :P

thanks your friend Joe

hehe :) i have a lot of incaberrys .. they can make nice sauces using them with fruits and lemons and such. but fresh - not too tasty - soap is a good description!

Back