• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

nasty wings

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
Had some nasty breaded wings last night... who wants soggy bread on their chicken?

Gringo food sucks. All of it.

Everyime I get back in country from points south I am totally amazed at the immense size of the lifeforms here in my country, the horrific swill they call food, and the bland ambience of the place, other than NM.

Soggy wings sounds so.........................American.....or, sounds like something that comes out of the back of my Golden Retriever.

Salsa, salsa, salsa, and the hotter the better............

5.gif

Boanergez said:
Gringo food sucks. All of it.

I'm having trouble thinking of 10 food items that were created in the US. Most of the food dishes here were brought in from other countries, including south of the border. That being said, what happens to those dishes once they are incorporated into Americana is a different story altogether.

If your ever in Minnesota, stop on by for some of my BBQ. I guarantee you that won't suck. :lol:

P_Schneider said:
I'm having trouble thinking of 10 food items that were created in the US.

Only one i can think of thats 100% American is potato chips. The potato chip was invented in 1853 by George Crum. Crum was a Native American/African American chef at the Moon Lake Lodge resort in Saratoga Springs, New York, USA. French fries were popular at the restaurant and one day a diner complained that the fries were too thick. Although Crum made a thinner batch, the customer was sill unsatisfied. Crum finally made fries that were too thin to eat with a fork, hoping to annoy the extremely fussy customer. The customer, surprisingly enough, was happy - and potato chips were invented!
Crum's chips were originally called Saratoga Chips and potato crunches. They were soon packaged and sold in New England - Crum later opened his own restaurant.

BBQ is USA. The word barbecue may possibly come from another place (Barbacoa), but the name for it was added later. Cavemen were grilling meat over fire, and they didn't learn it from someone, it's just all they knew how to do. Probably the same for the original people of all continents. They grilled meat, and ate berries and plants. The style of BBQ we eat is all American!! :lol: Go to BBQ sites that are UK sites and they talk about "American-style BBQ."

Hank]Read this: [url said:

Intersting article although I don't think Virginia ham qualifies. Ham in one form or another has been found on all the continents dating way back before the USA was around. I would say the same for oysters. There were some interesting items that I didn't know about and some that I did.

I knew about:
hotdogs
hamburgers
chips
chowder

I didn't know about: (and probably wouldn't have guessed if asked)
Fajitas
Chile Verde
Pastrami
Sourdough bread

I have never heard of Shoofly pie but if it's Amish, it's American.
Po-boy's also doesn't qualify in my opinion. A sandwich is a sandwich, which were invented by the English. (although the French disagree with that claim and they settled LA so if anything the French brought the sandwich to the area)

I was kind of suprised that chili wasn't mentioned because I believe that is also a Texas invention.

Well darn! Now I'm totally confused. :lol: Musta really sucked livin in the US before all the food landed here. :)

I do agree, that for the most part the folks south of the border know how to throw down an awesome spread of great spicy food. Simple and incredibly full of flavor.

most borders that are not also oceans are artificial. Northern Italian cooking is influenced by french and german just like southern italian cooking is influenced by mediteranian and north african cuisine. In north america there are large pockets of regionalization based upon the earlist european settlers cooking techniques being used with local ingredients. It's these ingredients that truely define American food. Corn, Chilis, concord grapes, trout, whitetail, squash, crawfish...the list can go on. A few that America it self can lay claim to

ice cream cone
fortune cookies
nachos

Back