• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Need a good blender

My last blender broke in the middle of pureeing my last hot sauce batch.  Fortunately, the batch was almost at the desired consistency before the motor stopped working.  I don't remember what I spent, but it was wasn't a lot, probably something between $19.99 and $29.99.   I was under the mistaken impression that an "El Chepo" model would hold up.  This turned out to be a total piece of crap!  I hadn't used it for more than 5 times (Not more than a total of 25 minutes) before the motor stopped working, and the text above the buttons (Puree, chop etc) washed off as soon as it got wet.

I need a recommendation for a good blender.  I'm only going to use it to make hot sauces, and maybe some smoothies or some fruit juices.  With that in mind, I'm not 100% sure that I need a blender, maybe some related device (juicer?) that can puree ingredients.  I'd rather not have to spend $100.00 or more, but do need something that will do the job and last.  I will need good blades, as I add whole lemons and limes to my sauces.

What do some of the experienced sauce makers recommend?

Thanks

I used a Vitamix 5200 for two years before switching to a copacker. Made hundreds of batches of hot sauce with it and never let me down. It's retired to my home kitchen now, but I still use it for test batches and normal blending jobs like smoothies, malts, etc. For me, the performance, dependability and warranty made the price well worth it.

I've heard good things about Blendtec, and the Ninja, although powerful, may not last as long due to cheaper parts and smaller warranty.

Someone in my old rental kitchen had a Waring they swore by. When I saw how it was being used, it seemed to deliver similar results to the Vitamix.    

I broke down and got a Blendtec for $319.95.  I'm only going to live once.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R5PITOW

Blendtec has more powerful motors for more money, but I think I can make due with 3.0 horsepower instead of 3.8.

They do offer a great deal on their classic refurbished model:

http://www.blendtec.com/blenders/total-blender-classic-series-factory-reconditioned for only $279.95, but I like new stuff.

Blendtec chat tells me that 3.0 Horse power - 1560 watts.  Not quite sure how this works out as different online calculators produce different results.  Can somebody explain how the conversion really works and if the chat agent was correct.

Thanks

1 horse power is 746 watts...

a 3 horse motor would be 2238 watts

at 120 volts (standard household circuits) that's 18.65 amps.  Way over what should be used on a normal 20 amp circuit(16 amps).  A 20 amp circuit breaker would probably hold, but I wouldn't be surprised if it would trip with constant usage or if anything else was on the circuit while the 3 hp blender was being used.  If someone had a 30 amp/120v circuit it would be fine.

Hard to say, maybe it's 240v, maybe the run load is 1560 but the start load is 2200???

You'd have to get the specs on the unit to know for sure what the tech was talking about.

Something to keep in mind when buying reconditioned units, of which I bought one....

I got the reconditioned base....and the original carafe and lid.  The lid was a hard plastic thing with lots of dings and dents, didn't fit tight onto the carafe, any kind of full carafe of liquid would spill out and make a mess.  After a couple years of periodic use, the gasket around the blade spindle got so dried out and stiff the motor wouldn't even turn the blade.  When I first noticed it getting stiff, I would put mineral oil on the gasket after washing.  The carafe was never left to soak in bleach water and was hand washed.  Eventually I bought a new carafe and lid for about $100.   

Add that to the reconditioned price, I probably should of just got a new one to start with.

edit- one of the specs from the Blendtec website-
  • 20 amps (Note: A 20-amp receptacle and proper electrical circuit capacity are required.)
  • 3.8 peak horsepower motor
Other Blendtec blenders are rated at 13 amps, which are fine on a standard 20 amp circuit.  It would be pushing it a bit to run it on a 15 amp circuit, but would likely work.  The 20 amp blender should be on a 30 amp/120v circuit with #10 wire.  Not standard wiring for most houses to have a 30 amp/120v receptacle. 

Actually running the numbers for 3.8 hp x 746 watts=2834.8 / 120v= 23.6 amps.  A little more than their stated 20amp.  Definitely would need a 30 amp circuit.

just found this listing for a Blendtec Reconditioned for $399.95 with 7 year warranty!  with a Brand New Jar! 

I mean, seriously...who couldn't love a blender that can do THIS?  :lol:

or THIS?  :rofl:

salsalady said:
1 horse power is 746 watts...

a 3 horse motor would be 2238 watts

at 120 volts (standard household circuits) that's 18.65 amps.  Way over what should be used on a normal 20 amp circuit(16 amps).  A 20 amp circuit breaker would probably hold, but I wouldn't be surprised if it would trip with constant usage or if anything else was on the circuit while the 3 hp blender was being used.  If someone had a 30 amp/120v circuit it would be fine.

Hard to say, maybe it's 240v, maybe the run load is 1560 but the start load is 2200???

You'd have to get the specs on the unit to know for sure what the tech was talking about.

Something to keep in mind when buying reconditioned units, of which I bought one....

I got the reconditioned base....and the original carafe and lid.  The lid was a hard plastic thing with lots of dings and dents, didn't fit tight onto the carafe, any kind of full carafe of liquid would spill out and make a mess.  After a couple years of periodic use, the gasket around the blade spindle got so dried out and stiff the motor wouldn't even turn the blade.  When I first noticed it getting stiff, I would put mineral oil on the gasket after washing.  The carafe was never left to soak in bleach water and was hand washed.  Eventually I bought a new carafe and lid for about $100.   

Add that to the reconditioned price, I probably should of just got a new one to start with.

edit- one of the specs from the Blendtec website-
  • 20 amps (Note: A 20-amp receptacle and proper electrical circuit capacity are required.)
  • 3.8 peak horsepower motor
Other Blendtec blenders are rated at 13 amps, which are fine on a standard 20 amp circuit.  It would be pushing it a bit to run it on a 15 amp circuit, but would likely work.  The 20 amp blender should be on a 30 amp/120v circuit with #10 wire.  Not standard wiring for most houses to have a 30 amp/120v receptacle. 

Actually running the numbers for 3.8 hp x 746 watts=2834.8 / 120v= 23.6 amps.  A little more than their stated 20amp.  Definitely would need a 30 amp circuit.
Very informative—thanks!

My breakers are 20 Amps.  If I am performing my math correctly, my 4 T-5 54 Watt Florescent bulbs use 1.8 Amps - 54*4  = 216  /120 = 1.8, so if they are on the same circuit as my kitchen outlets (Not sure if they are, but I think so) then if the Blendtec start load is indeed 2,238, this draws 18.65 Amps + my T-5s 1.8 = 20.45, and I will blow the circuit by starting the blender in the kitchen!.  I do know parts of my apartment that are not on the same circuit as my T-5 lights, so I think it is best that I plug the blender in that part of the apartment!  My PC on one of the other circuits does have a 1000 watt PSU, but I'm confident that it draws much less power after it starts, but this still does not leave my much (if any!) room, so I'll either have to find a circuit that my lights and PC aren't on, or put it on the same circuit as my PC, but power off the PC first.

Please let me know if anything is wrong with my calculations.

dragon49 said:
Very informative—thanks!

My breakers are 20 Amps.  If I am performing my math correctly, my 4 T-5 54 Watt Florescent bulbs use 1.8 Amps - 54*4  = 216  /120 = 1.8, so if they are on the same circuit as my kitchen outlets (Not sure if they are, but I think so) then if the Blendtec start load is indeed 2,238, this draws 18.65 Amps + my T-5s 1.8 = 20.45, and I will blow the circuit by starting the blender in the kitchen!.  I do know parts of my apartment that are not on the same circuit as my T-5 lights, so I think it is best that I plug the blender in that part of the apartment!  My PC on one of the other circuits does have a 1000 watt PSU, but I'm confident that it draws much less power after it starts, but this still does not leave my much (if any!) room, so I'll either have to find a circuit that my lights and PC aren't on, or put it on the same circuit as my PC, but power off the PC first.

Please let me know if anything is wrong with my calculations.

I haven't gone all through all the calculations, but it looks like most of the BlendTec blenders are in the 13 amp range, and only one is in that high-power specialized commercial range.  The others should be fine on most household 20 amp circuits even with some lights. 

Side Note----
Having said that...we recently ran into a situation where someone had a refrigerator, a microwave and an 1800w FancyDancy toaster plugged in all on the same circuit.  In the mornings, the circuit breaker would trip.  Go Figure...  that was on a 20 amp circuit.   If you are living in an older home, the wiring was probably not designed to accomodate today's appliances like a DeLonghi toaster oven at 1800W by itself let alone adding a refer and a micro. 

SavinaRed said:
I don't see any warranty information....???

salsalady said:

I haven't gone all through all the calculations, but it looks like most of the BlendTec blenders are in the 13 amp range, and only one is in that high-power specialized commercial range.  The others should be fine on most household 20 amp circuits even with some lights. 

Side Note----
Having said that...we recently ran into a situation where someone had a refrigerator, a microwave and an 1800w FancyDancy toaster plugged in all on the same circuit.  In the mornings, the circuit breaker would trip.  Go Figure...  that was on a 20 amp circuit.   If you are living in an older home, the wiring was probably not designed to accomodate today's appliances like a DeLonghi toaster oven at 1800W by itself let alone adding a refer and a micro. 

I don't see any warranty information....???
There is an option to purchase an extended warranty for $30 for several years but I didn't as this should last me for many years. 

Hellraising Hot Sauce said:
I used a Vitamix 5200 for two years before switching to a copacker. Made hundreds of batches of hot sauce with it and never let me down. It's retired to my home kitchen now, but I still use it for test batches and normal blending jobs like smoothies, malts, etc. For me, the performance, dependability and warranty made the price well worth it.

I've heard good things about Blendtec, and the Ninja, although powerful, may not last as long due to cheaper parts and smaller warranty.

Someone in my old rental kitchen had a Waring they swore by. When I saw how it was being used, it seemed to deliver similar results to the Vitamix.    
I almost pulled the trigger on the commercial waring and the vitamix was the most expensive so I went with the blendtec. I don't think a person can go wrong with any of those 3 blenders. We have the ninja at home now and have had it for around a year. That will become my wives and families go to blender and the blendtec for my use most of the time. My wife hates it when I make sauce in the ninja :)

SavinaRed said:
I almost pulled the trigger on the commercial waring and the vitamix was the most expensive so I went with the blendtec. I don't think a person can go wrong with and of those 3 blenders. We have the ninja at home now and have had it for around a year. That will become my wives and families go to blender and the blendtec for my use most of the time. My wife hates it when I make sauce in the ninja :)
I do like the duel levels of blades on the ninja when it comes to making sauces as well. 

Galveston340 said:
I had the same thing happend to my "El Cheapo" garage sale blender earlier this summer and ended up picking up one of those Ninja blenders. Was a little over a C note and does everything I need to do to make pepper sauce.

Exactly what I use to prototype my sauces. I have the high po motor and 6-blade spindle. It's an awesome tool for puree, though it won't grind seeds. For home/hobby batches, I really couldn't care less. I've had mine for 4 years and it's still going strong. Considering I've prototyped 9 varieties of sauce, plus dozens of hobby batches a year, it's more than been a great value. 

I'm probably going to pick up a replacement top soon, as the rubber seal is starting to go - hopefully they have them on the website as a stand-alone component. If not I'll buy a new set at Costco.

Again - I use my blender an abnormally frequent amount. I'd say it would last the average consumer a decade or more, so 4 years for me is impressive durability.  I burned out an Oster in under a year. 

A friend told me they have a kit at Costco of the full sized ninja, plus 6 "bullets" for smoothies for $99 or something. Pretty slammin deal if so. 
Just checked Overstock.com and they have this: 

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Ninja-BL770-Mega-Kitchen-System/8178160/product.html?refccid=PNE2SMEP23KYKFKAE7WCBOKFAM&searchidx=0

Great price considering you get both the large and small pitchers, plus the bullets. That way you can use one dedicated pitcher for sauce, the other for other blending needs (cocktails, etc) 

Another great option (and one I am currently considering) is an immersion blender, like this one: 

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/KitchenAid-5-Speed-Immersion-Hand-Blender-Brushed-Stainless-Steel/8755260/product.html

You can then blend in the pot, and not have to deal with transferring sauce to the blender & back then reheating to fill-temperature. 

Just a suggestion. 

Actually the hard part for me when I was looking was trying to find one that could handle the boiling hot sauce going into it. The Cheap-O's, a lot of which were glass, couldn't handle it or wouldn't say whether they could or not. The Ninja can handle foods up to 180 dF and since I do a second boil/simmer after blending I have no problem letting it cool the little bit down to 180 to blend and since I was able to get a second Carafe and Blades, I just checked and it's about $60.00 US plus shipping for them now, it was a no brainer.

I just read this about the blendtec

• Do not expose your jar to temperatures over 176°F (80°C). Ingredient temperatures should not exceed 115°F (46°C). Please note that boiling water is too hot for the jar and should never be used.

SavinaRed said:

• Do not expose your jar to temperatures over 176°F (80°C). Ingredient temperatures should not exceed 115°F (46°C). Please note that boiling water is too hot for the jar and should never be used.

Which should be fine. Sauce is pasteurized between 180-200 degrees, just below boiling.  So you pasteurize 8-10 mins, let it cool 20 degrees (takes about 10 mins) and blend it. Then when you return it to the heat source after blending, it's still going to be 150-160 and won't take much to get it back to fill temps. 

More and more I am leaning towards investing in an immersion blender for my home sauce-making. Then I don't have to bother cooling/re-heating prior to bottling. For the 1-2 qt batches I'm making it should work out great. 

But if you're looking for a reliable blender that's affordable, the Ninja Pro is a great option. The only down-side is it's made in China. 

I also rather like this one, for both the quality & the aesthetic: 

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Waring-PBB212-Retro-Green-Professional-Bar-Blender/3898675/product.html?refccid=XEBTJ5DT7FIKECSK3G7E3HP5SI&searchidx=36

Love that retro look, and the green color is fabulous. $99 with free shipping is a pretty good price. 

SavinaRed said:

Thanks for the warning although, it is unlikely I will be putting anything hot into it.  I blend my sauces cold, then add water in a large pot and boil off for a while.

My delivery came today.  The first order of business will be making peanut butter.  I'll do this sometime before the weekend is over and post how it worked out.  If the unit can not make the peanut butter from fresh peanuts, without too much effort on my part, then it is getting returned.  I feel confident that it will work out well.

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:
Which should be fine. Sauce is pasteurized between 180-200 degrees, just below boiling.  So you pasteurize 8-10 mins, let it cool 20 degrees (takes about 10 mins) and blend it. Then when you return it to the heat source after blending, it's still going to be 150-160 and won't take much to get it back to fill temps. 

More and more I am leaning towards investing in an immersion blender for my home sauce-making. Then I don't have to bother cooling/re-heating prior to bottling. For the 1-2 qt batches I'm making it should work out great. 

But if you're looking for a reliable blender that's affordable, the Ninja Pro is a great option. The only down-side is it's made in China. 

I also rather like this one, for both the quality & the aesthetic: 

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Waring-PBB212-Retro-Green-Professional-Bar-Blender/3898675/product.html?refccid=XEBTJ5DT7FIKECSK3G7E3HP5SI&searchidx=36

Love that retro look, and the green color is fabulous. $99 with free shipping is a pretty good price.
we have the ninja that is 1200 watts 1.5 hp. We got it at Costco a year ago and it's called the ultra kitchen system 1200. It came with a food processor and the nutria ninja and 3 cups for it

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:

I had a commercial Waring immersion blender.  It worked OK but does not get the sauce really smooth like what a Ninja or BlendTec can do.  It won't break down the seeds or completely pulverize the pulp.    But for small batches just working on flavors and such, it is a useful tool.

BTW- I HAD a Waring.  Eventually the rubber gasket around the blade spindle got so tight the blade wouldn't spin.  Hmmm.  Just realized the same thing happened on the original blendtec carafe. 

Back