• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Need a Tasty, Determinate Tomato for the 2010 Season...

Tasty tomato that will grow well in a 5 or 7 gallon pot. Looking for that juicy "tomatoey" flavor...no cherries. Determinate.

Recommendations please!

Looking ahead to the 2010 season....:cool:

wordwiz said:
I like the Siletz though I am also trying its cousin, Legend this winter.

Mike

I grew Legend this year and it's a keeper. It produces early (and in cooler weather) because it doesn't need a pollinator.

Also grew Applause (Hybrid), which is a more compact plant, but still produced nice sized fruit and good yield.

I'll be growing both again next year.:)

DR,

Great news! I have three plants with blooms on them already, and they were put in water on Sept. 26.

Unlike this spring when all I raised were heirlooms, most of the GH toms are hybrids. Not sure why Legend isn't listed as heirloom since Siletz is.

Mike

Ciao Petey-

There aren't too many large-fruited determinates out there but Campbells 1327 is one of them. It's a large red globe, great for canning, sauce, and of course, salsa. Mine were 14 oz on average, some larger, some a bit smaller. For higher production but smaller size, you might want to consider Kotlas. It's a potato-leafed red saladette that does not flinch in cool weather. It will produce plenty of good-tasting fruit in a tidy size for canning whole. For a drying type, I'd recommend Canary Rose Paste, a very dry pink paste type with very good production for a small plant. Early Annie will give you plenty of early red fruit about 8 oz in size and Canadian Dwarf is another early prolific saladette.

PM me in January if you're interested in any of those.

Al-Kuffa would be a good one. they are 3-4oz and loaded with flavor.Plants are compact with no steaking needed.granted not a huge tomato but very tasty.

Kevin

Break O' Day all the WAY!!!!

It's a smallish semi-determinate plant yielding fruits with good old fashioned tomato flavor!!!

~DiggingDog

Ciao DDF-

Break O Day was semi-determinate for you? How tall did it top out at? I've always seen it listed as straight indeterminate.

Back