• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Need HELP with something eating my plants

Covering up leaves with 7 will stop photosynthesis which will do more harm than those bugs your worried about, don't come to Florida this time of year cause our bugs carry away small children and pets.

Yeah, that is what I kinda figured as well. I will knock off the dust when I get home from work. I just wanted a full day of the powder to do the job. I do feel as if i over did it a little. BUT, what's done is done. Just got tired of my plants getting chewed up.

Yeah, that is what I kinda figured as well. I will knock off the dust when I get home from work. I just wanted a full day of the powder to do the job. I do feel as if i over did it a little. BUT, what's done is done. Just got tired of my plants getting chewed up.

AMEN!! I am tired of seeing my girls getting "chewed up" as well! That liquid Sevin has choked the life out of several types of bugs, but watever it is that is flying in or crawling, is still picking random spots on my plants to feast!!

bamaboy if you find out wat is doing the damage, plz pass that info along. I have dusted the heck out of my babies today in hopes of putting an end to this once and for all....it's a sad sad site.

I've had simular damage, in one case it was the leaves bumping against the cage, in the other case it was a squirrel nibbling on the leaves. I hope things go well for you.

goc

I would wager a dusting of the seven dust will help. You don't have to go in heavy with it but a light application will do wonders. I've had to use it this year for the first time. (New place, new set of problems) I'm fighting cut worms and the damage looks just like that. They even hit a tray of my seedings in the course of a night ate half of them.
After a week, I had fresh new growth.. and the insect worms ate the new growth but left the old that had the dust on it.

And let me tell you about rabbits...

Luckily my gardens are fully enclosed so no rabbits. The plants look a lot better since the dusting of Sevin Dust. I will get pics when I get home.

I'm thinking slugs too. One thing for sure it isn't pill bugs! They eat dead stuff.

Hey Patrick, would there be some kind of 'slime' or 'trail' etc if it were a slug? I don't know ( first grow for me) but when I think slug I think slimey. I had dry weather with Sevin dust everywhere for a day and no sign of trails etc. Whatever is eating on mine pick very random spots on the leaf and a lot look like a crescent moon. I mainly see dead spiders on the tarp that's covering the ground my buckets r on.

I did notice a few leaves with similar damage on our dogwood tree while standing on our back deck about 50 feet from where the peppers are. Also talked to a few people around us who have grown 'regular' peppers etc over their years, that has never had probs like I'm having. :banghead:

I guess my next step is to break open my piggy bank and get a crop duster to do a 'fly by' and kill anything that walks, crawls, swims, jumps, slithers, rolls, skips, and flys :flamethrower: :flamethrower:

Here are a few pics of mine...I think some leaves may have got a little 'burnt' from the Sevin dust?? Idk....

IMAG1541.jpg

[/CODE]

IMAG1522.jpg

IMAG1525.jpg

I'm still not seeing any type of slug, snail etc.... :/

The problem with poisoning your garden like that is you kill the beneficial bugs that will help with the bad critters. It is a spiraling problem. the more poison you use the more you'll need to use.

Ok, mental note, too much Sevin dust. I have major leaf curling and bubbling of the leaves. You guys are right with killing the beneficial bugs! All the worms are dying, but I did find ALOT of centipede looking things that are toast! However not one damn slug. I guess I will scrape some of that slug killer out. I just really got tired of bugs eating my plants. This is the first year in-ground planting and having any kind of bug issues. Also, if lets say, I use too much fret and have really large leaves on my plants and they are not getting any taller at the moment, should I pick the largest leaves off so the plant can spend its energy growing taller? Or should I just leave it alone for now and let everything balance out? Sorry to all that I may have suggested to Sevin dust the crap out of your garden. I HOPE you did it in moderation and not like a bafoon like me. (so damn mad at myself!!!!!!!)

Back