• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Need info on ferts...

Ok, I know there have been discussions on fertilizers, but why no stickies? Or am I just blind? lol
I'm sure most of ya'll have seen my recent post with my yellow plants. Here's the deal....I start my seeds just like everyone else. I either use peat pellets, or MG starter soil. Pellets have worked for me in the past, but I doubt I will use them after this year. Too many issues this year. I am just using them now because I have a bunch of them! lol
Anypoo...looking at some people's threads, like Silver Surfers (sorry to pick on ya there buddy!), and it doesnt look like I do anything different than he does. Well, for the most part. I started off repotting my first batch of seedlings straight into a mix that I used for my full-sized plants last year. The mix was 4 parts peat moss, 2 parts Sta Green potting soil, 2 parts composted cow manure, and 1 part perlite. I bought a bag of dolomitic lime last year, but never opened it since my plants did AWESOME. If it aint broke, dont fix it, right?
Well, after a couple of weeks, I noticed my babies turning yellow. So, I gave them a shot of Epsom salt and fish emulsion, quarter strength. I guess I was under the impression that you shouldnt feed your seedlings too early. I guess I was wrong about that. I also talked to WickedMojo about this deal, and he said that last year he used the same potting soil, the Sta Green brand. It did the same thing to his plants. Well, about a week and a half ago, I RE-potted the affected plants into straight Pro Mix. The first time after that I watered them, I gave them a quarter strength fish emulsion with a scoop of the dolomitic lime disolved into the mix as well. The more and more I read about the yellowing, all signs pointed to a calcium deficiency. I read, on here, that the lime will give them a good bit of calcium. After the first feeding, 5 plants took a REAL bad turn. The leaves shriveled up, and started falling off. I dont mean got DRY, then shriveled up. The soil was moist. In an effort to save them, I pulled all of the "bad" leaves off so the plants could expend all of their energy into growing instead of fixing itself.
Just a few minutes ago, I watered them with the same fish emulsion/dolomitic lime solution, but added less water. It was closer to a half-strength solution this time. I wanted to be a little more drastic this time. I guess I will soon see how that works out.
So, on to a few questions...People on here talk about different fertlizers doing different things. i.e.Epsom salt giving the plants magnesium to make the plants greener. What about other fertilizers? What does, say, fish emulsion give them? And what does it do for the plant? That's just one example. I go to college, so I dont really have the time to break everything down. I know I COULD do it, I just dont have the time.
Also, what about the signs of issues with plants? Like a sticky on that? Take MY yellow-leaf problem as an example. What could the possibilities be? People have helped me out in my other thread. I appreciate all of ya'lls help! That's not what I mean. What I mean is maybe someone making a chart. X problem could be caused by this, or this, or this, etc.
I hope I didnt sound too mixed up here. My brain goes fuzzy when it gets overloaded with questions! lol :crazy:

You're watering with dolomitic lime? As far as I know dolomitic lime is not water soluble and should be only mixed with the soil. It also takes quite a while for it to do its thing which includes neutralizing acidic soils. I also believe there is already dolomitic lime in promix.

Fish emulsions are high in nitrogen which is needed for new green vegetative growth but don't go overboard thinking more is better.

Not really trying to over do it. I guess Im more trying to "shock" my plants into feeling better. lol
The dolomitic lime disolved after a few minutes of shaking it up nice and good. Should I not have done that PERIOD?
Also going to be making worm tea tomorrow and give ALL plants a nice foliar spray of it. Hope that helps as well!

Check your soil Ph.....it should be 6-6.5 for chiles.

Ph too wide of the mark will cause nutrient lock-out and yellow leaves.

Try using aluminum sulfate if your ph is to high.I've never tried it,but its suppose to lower ph levels in plants.

I dont know where to get that. Isnt the dolomitic lime supposed to do the same thing? If I use it for that purpose, am I safe to disolve it, like I did? Or should I include it into my soil?

They were originally in a mix WITH compost. Then they turned yellow. I just wanted to take that out of the equation period, at least until they are healthier. Thats why I put them in Pro Mix. Pro Mix is supposed to be perfectly pH balanced. I figured that way I could control my own nutes, and TRY to figure out whats going on.

Hey big Pooper! Lime does just the opposite and increased the alkalinity of the soil. When sulfur is used, it naturally turns into sulfuric acid which lowers your soil pH. I use leaves (oak leaves and pine needles work well) to organically lower the pH in my garden soil. As they rot and decompose, they naturally produce tannic acid.

To me it sounds like you may be going overboard on this. Just stick to the basics!

Nah, just trying to help heal my babies! lol
Is there something that would lower it a little bit quicker? I know I would have to go in increments, which is fine.

You need an acid like vinegar or lime/lemon juice to lower pH(raise acidity), or ideally you can buy pH-down which is phosphoric acid or nitric acid.

So, where would I find the aluminum sulfate? It looks like it really does lower it. I have tons of dead leaves around, but I was hoping to lower it a little quicker.
The messed up part is that I dont have a pH meter. Gonna have to talk the wife into letting me get one later today! lol I guess I will know for SURE after that. Sorry, but I can only afford a fairly cheap one. I cant afford a Hanna, so I will have to go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get a Ferry Morse one for like $15. Ive heard those $5 ones are crap. Or should I maybe just go with one of those little test-tube dealies?

what pH do you have?

to get the pH to go up you (should) use the calcium stuff

to get pH to go down you (should)use the aluminum sulfate stuff

if you try to use the up stuff to go down it is worse than just using plain water
are you going bass ackwards?

(i thought you were gonna try some molasses)

how about just "leaching" whatever with plain water
(which you should have probably been nudged into trying to utilize FIRST)

Thanks POT!
I was just reading some info online that said lime does help with a calcium deficiency, but it raises the pH. But, it also said that it takes 3-4 months. I only had it in liquid form, so if the pH is too high, I can just stop using it.
If fish emulsion is high in nitrogen, doesnt that lower pH? Anyone know what worm tea does to pH?

nitwit...Nah, havent planned to use molassas. What does that do? I'm HOPING to be able to get a pH meter tonight from Lowe's. Or should I use one of those test tube little kits? I know they are one-use deals, but would it be better than a Ferry Morse pH meter? Sorry, I cant pay the hefty price tag of a Hanna.
When I had them in my "mix," all they got was water, except for some fish emulsion once, and Epsom once. When they turned yellow, they came right out of that stuff. I didnt wash the roots with water when I transferred into the Pro Mix.

the poop on pH test

if you goes to the garden center
the test kits with litmus paper should cost about $7
for 50 or a hundred tests

basic way it works
there is paper or plastic strips you get wet with water or liquid you mixed with your soil
and compare the color the strip changes to with what colors are on the kit

you can tell if it is high or low pH from that :eek:

anyone please weigh in on this if am bass ackwards
i have bought those at the garden stores that cater to "bud" farmers

I think your digging yourself into a pretty deep hole. Plants are pretty versatile if you just let them sit for a little bit and don't try to play god with the ferts.

Back