• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

lighting Need opinions on these 2 LED lights

I'm with Walchit on this, the ledgardener.com site really makes it worthwhile building your own. I built a rig with 4 2-feet strips, which is the equivalent of an HLG QB288 quantum board, but, in my opinion, with a much better spread as mine is a 65x43cm rig. Currently using it in a 2x3 and have pretty much every single square inch covered. Not bad for a 100 bucks and a little bit of elbow grease. With the site's calculator, you can hardly go wrong with driver selection etc.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

lespaulde said:
I'm with Walchit on this, the ledgardener.com site really makes it worthwhile building your own. I built a rig with 4 2-feet strips, which is the equivalent of an HLG QB288 quantum board, but, in my opinion, with a much better spread as mine is a 65x43cm rig. Currently using it in a 2x3 and have pretty much every single square inch covered. Not bad for a 100 bucks and a little bit of elbow grease. With the site's calculator, you can hardly go wrong with driver selection etc.

Like, 90% of the time I'm looking for a more effective spread rather than high penetration light intensity, so this makes a lot of sense to me.  The decision really comes down to what your application will be and whether your looking at multiple lights for different applications of fewer fixtures covering most or all applications.

Cool to know about the site as well. Should be interesting reading.

CaneDog said:

Like, 90% of the time I'm looking for a more effective spread rather than high penetration light intensity, so this makes a lot of sense to me.  The decision really comes down to what your application will be and whether your looking at multiple lights for different applications of fewer fixtures covering most or all applications.

Cool to know about the site as well. Should be interesting reading.
Absolutely agree it depends on your application! :) I like the flexibility you get with these, as you can mix and match strips, and even exchange them during the grow to match exactly what you want. Once I managed to get my head around the driver selection and parallel wiring (thanks to LedGardener), it all fell into place.

got  the hlg 65

8MzRaWv.jpg

light off

aSLnisc.jpg

light on

A4pfge2.jpg

the biggest thing with this light is the temp in my tent with the mars hydro i was at 84-86f with this light i'm at 77f this is a 2x2x4 tent we'll see hos this plants do

Sinn said:
got  the hlg 65 

light off
:tear:

light on
:dance:

Good stuff Sinn!  Would really like to hear your opinion of the 65 once you've put it through the paces.  Seems to me like it might be about perfect for your 2x2 and very efficient too.  Was thinking 2 in a 2x4 would also be a good match.

And I see you got the new V2 :metal:

If it's not too late, I'll chime in for the purple lights. I have an 8'x8'x6' tent in an unheated garage packed full of super sweet cherry tomato plants (10) and super hots (7 of a mix of Carolina Reapers, Ghosts, and Trinidad Moruga Scorpions). The plants were moved into the tent as transplants. They're almost all producing fruit now. I have one "800W" Bestva LED light on each side of the tent. They seem to be a lot like the 600-1000W lights you posted.

If I'm not mistaken, I really should have double the light for my area at this point, but the biggest factor(s) affecting growth and flowering to me seems to be pot size and temperatures. These lights have more than earned their keep so far.

I have a HLG100 and it works fantastically. I have been thinking of adding an optic 1 or and hlg 65.

bpiela said:
Any thoughts on something like this for seedlings?

https://www.amazon.com/Durolux-DLED848BM-Magenta-Spectrum-Flowering/dp/B07BMLV6HQ/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=led+grow+light+4%27&qid=1554840136&s=gateway&sr=8-5

I am thinking about replacing a t5 4' fixture with something like this.
I'd avoid it. Although they use the terms full spectrum and xxxxK light temperature, it's not really a full spectrum light. It looks like they posted a spectral analysis as the last image. I'd look for something that integrates a few different LEDs into a light with a broader spectral range. Just my opinion.

Chickadee said:
Are the Mars Hydro good for fruiting?
I have never done a complete grow with them but if I start seeds early (mid Jan) by the time the plants go outside (mid May)I always have pods on the plants

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Maybe this could be useful to someone down the line, looking into the "purple lights"...

G8 LEDs - These are the highest quality lights I've had experience with. Well worth the price.

King LED - This is my first season using these. I have a 2000w (dual chip) that is lighting a whole room, with pleasing results.

So far, I've had a lot better root development under the full spectrum lights, as apposed to the T5s. The par is just superior. And WAY less heat/power consumption.
But I still use the T5s for sprouts/seedlings.

I've added red 600nm LEDs around the sides of my fruiting plants in my tent, as well. Super affordable, big-time flower boosters if you're going full-season indoors.

Back