• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

fertilizer Need some help on a fertilizer program. How much to use and when to use.

solid7 said:

Cal-Mag isn't slow release.  It's something that should be used more in a hydroponics application.  Instead, opt for calcium as part of a continuous feeding regimen.  Whether that be organic, or slow release ferts. (like Osmocote)
If you have dolomitic lime in your media to buffer peat, you shouldn't need extra supplementation.  But nevertheless, it should be part of any complete fertilizer.
So, even though you stated at the beginning, that you don't want to just lay down ferts or organic food, it's still the very best option, for containers.  Unless you're going to grow indoors, and then you'll (maybe or maybe not) want a complete liquid nutrient.
If you're going to use alfalfa meal, get it on Amazon.  If you're near a rural area, just lay down straight alfalfa hay.  
I see. So I should just use dolomite lime as a source of calcium? Wouldn't that mess with the pH too much?

Codeman said:
I see. So I should just use dolomite lime as a source of calcium? Wouldn't that mess with the pH too much?

If you garden organically you don't need to worry about pH, specific nutrients or anything else. Maybe it's a better route to take if things are seemingly increasingly complicated. 

I don't think I've seen calcium deficiency, ever. There are examples online of blossom end rot but these are normally due to people nuking the growing medium / soil with salts or in hydroponic scenarios where shills design nutrient systems in a way that it's deliberately complicated and you need to buy a billion different products

Powelly said:

If you garden organically you don't need to worry about pH, specific nutrients or anything else. Maybe it's a better route to take if things are seemingly increasingly complicated. 

I don't think I've seen calcium deficiency, ever. There are examples online of blossom end rot but these are normally due to people nuking the growing medium / soil with salts or in hydroponic scenarios where shills design nutrient systems in a way that it's deliberately complicated and you need to buy a billion different products
I see. So if I use dolomite lime, homemade compost and alfalfa meal I won't ever need to buy mushroom compost or any type of manure right? I'll use epsoma as well.

Codeman said:
I see. So if I use dolomite lime, homemade compost and alfalfa meal I won't ever need to buy mushroom compost or any type of manure right? I'll use epsoma as well.

Just regular potting mix with 20% compost mixed in will be fine. If you don't want to pay for potting mix then regular 1 inch screened wood chips will work just fine also.

Then just wait to see what happens instead of guessing or predicting

Powelly said:

Just regular potting mix with 20% compost mixed in will be fine. 

20% will result in a heavy mix for any climate that receives lots of rain.  It's absolute disaster if that "regular potting mix" contains wetting agents.
Some people, in some climates, will get away with up to 100% compost.  However, as a general rule, no more than 10% for container mixes.  

solid7 said:

20% will result in a heavy mix for any climate that receives lots of rain.  It's absolute disaster if that "regular potting mix" contains wetting agents.
Some people, in some climates, will get away with up to 100% compost.  However, as a general rule, no more than 10% for container mixes.  
I have my mix down pat. I was just asking if I add dolomite lime when I make my potting mix I won't really need to add it again or would I have to add it every 3 months? I also wanted to know if I top dress my compost can I also top dress with alfalfa meal as well and how often do I add the epsoma,compost, alfalfa meal? Thanks man for the help. I've learned a lot from you.

solid7 said:

I have my mix down pat. I was just asking if I add dolomite lime when I make my potting mix I won't really need to add it again or would I have to add it every 3 months? I also wanted to know if I top dress my compost can I also top dress with alfalfa meal as well and how often do I add the epsoma,compost, alfalfa meal? Thanks man for the help. I've learned a lot from you.

Codeman said:

Top dress with compost about 1/2" - 1" thick.  You can mix the other stuff in at the rate and timing specified by the manufacturer.  (personally, I'd lay the fert and alfalfa meal under the compost top dress) The alfalfa meal can be added in at the same time as the organic fertilizer.  The dolomitic lime is once and done.  If you continue to use the fish fertilizer, you'll get all the supplemental calcium that you need.  Also, consider adding a handful of worms to the container, for extra help in processing.
Keep it just that simple, and you'll get an outstanding result, withstanding any kind of peripheral issue.

solid7 said:

Top dress with compost about 1/2" - 1" thick.  You can mix the other stuff in at the rate and timing specified by the manufacturer.  (personally, I'd lay the fert and alfalfa meal under the compost top dress) The alfalfa meal can be added in at the same time as the organic fertilizer.  The dolomitic lime is once and done.  If you continue to use the fish fertilizer, you'll get all the supplemental calcium that you need.  Also, consider adding a handful of worms to the container, for extra help in processing.
Keep it just that simple, and you'll get an outstanding result, withstanding any kind of peripheral issue.
Thank you. I found some alfalfa pellets by brand name Dumont. 50 pounds is 15 bucks. Is that the one to get?

Codeman said:
Thank you. I found some alfalfa pellets by brand name Dumont. 50 pounds is 15 bucks. Is that the one to get?

I don't use pellets, so I don't know.  I'd not want a lot of filler and "fortified" products.  Personally, I always just buy a bale of hay.  But that's just me...  If they're out of hay, I'll buy buy the meal directly from Amazon. My preference is for kelp meal, if I'm using it like that.  But alfalfa is fine. (I believe that kelp meal is the far superior amendment - but I can't prove that with anything other than a "trust me")

solid7 said:

I don't use pellets, so I don't know.  I'd not want a lot of filler and "fortified" products.  Personally, I always just buy a bale of hay.  But that's just me...  If they're out of hay, I'll buy buy the meal directly from Amazon. My preference is for kelp meal, if I'm using it like that.  But alfalfa is fine. (I believe that kelp meal is the far superior amendment - but I can't prove that with anything other than a "trust me")
Ok. I couldn't find a big bag of alfalfa meal or a big bag of kelp meal off Amazon.

Codeman said:
Ok. I couldn't find a big bag of alfalfa meal or a big bag of kelp meal off Amazon.

I've got a 5lb bag of kelp meal that's on it's third season.  You don't need massive quantities. It's really potent stuff.  In fact, too much is detrimental, so have a re-look...

Codeman said:
Ok. Thank you. If I add kelp would I need to put alfalfa hay on top? Also how much of kelp meal to add?

For a #10 container, I usually add about 1-2 Tbsp.  Like I said, it's really potent stuff.
No, you don't have to put alfalfa hay on top.  I prefer top dressings of mulch, but that's your call.  Helps keep temps down.

solid7 said:

For a #10 container, I usually add about 1-2 Tbsp.  Like I said, it's really potent stuff.
No, you don't have to put alfalfa hay on top.  I prefer top dressings of mulch, but that's your call.  Helps keep temps down.
yeah I need mulch and wasn't sure which to get so I thought alfalfa hay would be the best option. When you say #10 container, are you talking about the nursery pots?

Codeman said:
yeah I need mulch and wasn't sure which to get so I thought alfalfa hay would be the best option. about the nursery pots?

Yes.  Or cloth.  Whatever is listed as #10, or falsely called a "10 gallon".
Like this:
14057438764_1783a4cbb2_z.jpg

Back