• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Need some serious help, what have I done?

Firstly, hello again. Secondly, wow. Peppers are looking terrible. Aphids early, and now what looks like a combo of too wet and over fertilizing. I planted as last year in basic fafards, but, in hindsight like a fool, did what i thought was a very light application of an 8-5-5 (half recommended time release). Anyways, any advice would be appareciated. Already got 3 that more than likely won't make it. It has been wet here, so I hoping some of this is reversible. See pics below

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Do all your plants look like this?

Not all, The habaneros are fairing better than the others (duh, I guess) but some definitely look worse than the others. The Datils and Trinidad Perfumes look the worst by far. Not all are exhibiting leaf curl (none of the habs are, some have odd new growth though)

EDIT, should add, none of them look 100%, just different levels of "wow looks not good". A couple of habs look almost 100%.

There is a little aphid damage but I would be more concerned with the fertilization. Also, the chewed up leaves look like slug damage or something (aphid tend not to take big chunks like that).

If it were me, I carefully pull the plants out of the pots, gently wash their roots by submersing them in a bucket of 70-75 degree water and getting excess dirt off. Then I would replant them in the same pots, but using your mix with something like 1/4" gravel or perlite as ~25%-35% of the mix and let them readjust. Don't set them in the full sun for a week (shaded sun is OK). Then I'd start giving them 1/4 strength doses of non-time release fertilizer (unless it's "Dynamite" brand which is the only one I trust as it doesn't release until soil temps hit ~70 degrees) that is high in Ca and Mg.

Good luck! Don't worry too much, these are hearty plants and will likely spring back within a couple weeks.

Aphids, spot, and lack of food actually. Feed them, fungicide them, make sure your aphids are gone. They will rebound. I've seen this a million times.

And yeah, there coulve been a caterpillar on that one plant...Good eye Farmer Guy

don't mess with em any more keep em out of the rain and let them rest. If you expose the root ball you may end up killing em faster.

Aphids, spot, and lack of food actually. Feed them, fungicide them, make sure your aphids are gone. They will rebound. I've seen this a million times.

And yeah, there coulve been a caterpillar on that one plant...Good eye Farmer Guy

This was my diagnosis. I'm assuming spot is fungal? I plan on getting a product tomorrow that is both fungicidal and bug killer (neem oil for the bugs, called triple action plus, used it last year) and hitting them with that. As far as the leaf damage, i scoured my plants with a uv flashlight at night and couldn't find any caterpillars. I assume it was a winged culprit or slugs. I hit them with a rosemary/other plant oil spray and it was a little harsh on the leaves so i stopped. Put an end to my tomato plant damage but the peppers plight persists (look! alliteration!). I figure, and hope, that with such a light dose of over fert they will rebound without having to root rinse and replant which is risky in itself. I'm gonna give it a week. As far as feeding I have neptune's and cal mag but am going to resist the urge to foliar spray until a week or two, b/c a few look like they are definintely a bit over nitrited.

I would do my best to let them dry out, but get them food. The "Spot" is from being too wet too often. Is there a way you can bring them inside for a few days to dry out? All the excess water is washing away the fertilizer and the plant has no immunity because it has no food.

All the Time released ferts are being washed away. (I don't know what I'm talking about :shh: )

I would do my best to let them dry out, but get them food. The "Spot" is from being too wet too often. Is there a way you can bring them inside for a few days to dry out? All the excess water is washing away the fertilizer and the plant has no immunity because it has no food.

All the Time released ferts are being washed away. (I don't know what I'm talking about :shh: )

+1

I've seen this happen during very rainy periods, can't do much about it. Mother Nature always wins those battles.

Back