• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Need Volunteers part deux

I'm going to be doing a research on of a number of peppers I'm getting from CGN. The research will be mostly of a taste variety. I'm looking for around volunteers to grow at least 5 different peppers. You'll get 10 seeds of each. You'll be required to give a flavor/aroma report of 1. fresh pods from the plant 2. a powder made from the pods 3. a simple fermented sauce you're going to make from the pods. It would be preferred if you are able to share pods/powder/sauce with 4 other of the participants for them to test the flavors/aromas of the products, whom I'll assign according to nearest distance for postage sake, so I can get a number of people giving a taste taste of the same plants. Also what I'm looking for is where is the burn when tasted and how long it last in each area. You'll need a stopwatch or watch with a second hand. It is preferred that you keep the records in Excel or something I can convert to Excel. I'd like a sample also. Finally, I'd like the first 5 ripe pods, dried, if you can keep them from being cross pollinated.

Non-smokers preferred as your taste-buds are cleaner.

Feel free to post here or pm me if you're interested.

You should be able to give taste/aroma names somewhat creatively. You know nutty-what kind of nut? Fruity--what kind of fruit? Citrusy--What kind of citrus? sour/sweet/etc. You get the idea.

The results will be sent to the CGN and I imagine/hope posted on their observations of the peppers. Of course all participants will be listed in the research unless they say otherwise.

I will post the types here. Volunteers should post which ones they want. First come First serve. There will not be more than one type per volunteer. You need to pick at least 5 but you can choose more. The fruits of your labor can't be sold, but they can be shared. If you want to use them for commercial purposes, you need to let me know b/s there's some details we'll have to talk about.

Thanks for helping to volunteer to getting this information out there.

holy crap long list!!

I have way to many seeds and have some more on the way from someone on this site... thanks for the offer though :)

xo nicole

These are the five I got. woo

CGN23240: Capsicum annuum (Shishito)
CGN23279: Capsicum annuum (Qie Men)
CGN23283: Capsicum annuum (Ha Mi Tu La Jiao)
CGN23284: Capsicum annuum (Ha Mi Yong Jiao Jiao)
CGN23286: Capsicum annuum (Zao Feng 1 Hao)

You should be able to give taste/aroma names somewhat creatively. You know nutty-what kind of nut? Fruity--what kind of fruit? Citrusy--What kind of citrus? sour/sweet/etc. You get the idea.
I have been thinking about this particular statement/request. It comes across to me like asking someone to describe an orange in terms of other foods, but an orange tastes like..... an orange. I can tell you an orange is citrusy, too, but how would I tell you it tastes like other things that it is not? Now it is easy enough to compare one type of orange to another orange, in terms of color, size, acidity, sweetness, etc., but then you still have a core definition of "orange" at work there. Similarly, it is easy enough to compare one type of pepper to another. But in thinking of both my first taste of fatalii, for example, plus even my continued experiences with it, I can't really compare it to another non-pepper base food. So yes, I can tell you it is citrusy, which probably really has more to do with pH and sweetness than anything else, but I would have a very difficult time trying to say it tasted like an orange, lemon, lime, etc., because that is not my impression at all.

No, my taste buds aren't dead - I can tell, for example, a large taste difference between 1-1/2% milk and 2% milk, which many people cannot discern. But I am thinking about this in terms of the number of responses you are getting - maybe some clarification would help you get more responses?

I have been thinking about this particular statement/request. It comes across to me like asking someone to describe an orange in terms of other foods, but an orange tastes like..... an orange. I can tell you an orange is citrusy, too, but how would I tell you it tastes like other things that it is not? Now it is easy enough to compare one type of orange to another orange, in terms of color, size, acidity, sweetness, etc., but then you still have a core definition of "orange" at work there. Similarly, it is easy enough to compare one type of pepper to another. But in thinking of both my first taste of fatalii, for example, plus even my continued experiences with it, I can't really compare it to another non-pepper base food. So yes, I can tell you it is citrusy, which probably really has more to do with pH and sweetness than anything else, but I would have a very difficult time trying to say it tasted like an orange, lemon, lime, etc., because that is not my impression at all.

No, my taste buds aren't dead - I can tell, for example, a large taste difference between 1-1/2% milk and 2% milk, which many people cannot discern. But I am thinking about this in terms of the number of responses you are getting - maybe some clarification would help you get more responses?

Well thank you for your suggestion. These are not absolutes but suggestions as to what I'm looking for. If you can't think of any description other than nutty or citrusy, that's fine. But if you can apply your imagination a little, does it remind you of one nut or citrus more than another. I was trying to open it up a little. I don't want to limit the taste/aromas someone may experience.

I am will help out as I am always up to grow some extra peppers. These are the ones I would be interested in, not sure what the heck they are exactly, but I chose 1 from each type of pepper.

CGN22106: Capsicum baccatum var. pendulum medium
CGN20497 Capsicum cardenasii (SA 267)
CGN23234: Capsicum chinense (Royal Gold; PI 315023; Mishme)
CGN24351: Capsicum frutescens (RU 72-243)
CGN22795: Capsicum praetermissum (SA 216) late

hello my name is giacomo I wanted to help you on your intention to give a flavor of the fruits of the CGN
If possible I would like to seed of

Capsicum frutescens (Vindunger Mutande)
Capsicum galapagoense (AC 1501) late
Capsicum praetermissum (SA 216) late
Capsicum tovarii (PI 606708; NMCA 90008) very late
chacoense Capsicum (Arivivi, PI 260.437) late
Capsicum cardenasii (SA 267)
Capsicum eximium (S 0381)

I'd like to try and help, but as disclaimer, I really only have space for one extra variety (3-4 plants) in my garden.
In order of preference:

CGN20792 Capsicum annuum (Feferoni Gelbe)
CGN21518: Capsicum annuum (Cuban Pfefferon)
CGN22849: Capsicum annuum (Ukrainskii)
CGN16803 Capsicum annuum (Szegedi Edes Fuszer)
CGN21490: Capsicum annuum (Dzuljunska Sipka)

hello my name is giacomo I wanted to help you on your intention to give a flavor of the fruits of the CGN
If possible I would like to seed of

CGN24363: Capsicum frutescens (Vindunger Mutande)
CGN22208: Capsicum galapagoense (AC 1501) late
CGN22795: Capsicum praetermissum (SA 216) late
CGN22876: Capsicum tovarii (PI 606708; NMCA 90008) very late
CGN22859: chacoense Capsicum (Arivivi, PI 260.437) late
CGN20497 Capsicum cardenasii (SA 267)
CGN24332: Capsicum eximium (S 0381)

:?:

Just a note. I ask that you volunteer to grow at least 5 different plants. You are welcome to choose more if you think you can do it.

I dont think the CGN would appreciate you distributing their seeds like this.

I'm doing legitimate research using volunteers and the results will be reported to them as I defined it in my request. I'm not just giving away seeds. There are requirements of what those who grow the seeds will have to do and comply.

Back