• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Need Volunteers part deux

in the distribution of seeds of CGN should respect the smta
is only my advice ... Take it for what it is
Our association AISPES obtained seeds by CGN ... but only for scientific activities, including associates and only under the direct control of the AISPES
And always in accordance with the provisions of Appendix G of FAO International Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture

in the distribution of seeds of CGN should respect the smta
is only my advice ... Take it for what it is
Our association AISPES obtained seeds by CGN ... but only for scientific activities, including associates and only under the direct control of the AISPES
And always in accordance with the provisions of Appendix G of FAO International Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture

I understand the smta and I believe I am adhering to it and will be discussing the limitations of use with those who volunteer in this research project. But thanks for your concern.

thank you for the project you're pursuing :cool: ....

I always say why so many do not realize it and I also saw the seeds of the CGN listed on online sites :eek:

A preliminary information is needed ... and you must follow it and interesting reliable people

thank you for the project you're pursuing :cool: ....

I always say why so many do not realize it and I also saw the seeds of the CGN listed on online sites :eek:

A preliminary information is needed ... and you must follow it and interesting reliable people

Indeed. As I said, I'm not just giving away seeds. I'm after getting some research published on the various aspects of the chili which really aren't out there. The more tongues the better and people are more likely to be tasting etc. if they grew it themselves.

Indeed. As I said, I'm not just giving away seeds. I'm after getting some research published on the various aspects of the chili which really aren't out there. The more tongues the better and people are more likely to be tasting etc. if they grew it themselves.

Since I'm involved in the first part of this study, I need to ask some questions. The more posts I read about this, the more I'm not sure I want my name involved with it. First off, what "various aspects" about Capsicums are you trying to study. What are your research questions? What is your methodology? For some reason, I have a difficult time believing CGN or GRIN will be all that interested in "research" done on flavor and pungency of these little known species. Secondly, how many of these varieties are YOU planning on growing yourself? I looked through your grow list and didn't see any of these varieties. Maybe it is just me, but having "researchers" do your work for you isn't starting to sound like that great of a deal to me any more. You said in your instructions to "keep the plants separated", I'm assuming to ensure you get pure seeds back when we send them. In a genetic research greenhouse setting, there are a lot of steps taken to ensure this and I don't think the average grower (like me) has this capability.

I don't mean to call you out on this but I AM doing research at the moment (not having to do with Capsicum) and know all the many hoops I've had to jump through at the University level (IRB approvals, liability waivers, informed consent forms, human / animal testing forms, etc.). I know how difficult it is to get these organizations to agree to send seeds, especially to a private citizen. I had to jump through hoops and submit proposals being a researcher at an agriculture extension office. You claim to be an independent researcher but so far, you seem to be a private grower to me that would like to get published and bit off more than he can chew.

Even if what I brought to light is not true, I will be happy to return the accessions you sent me and remove myself from your study.

Sincerely,

DAN

a.k.a. RedtailForester

Since I'm involved in the first part of this study, I need to ask some questions. The more posts I read about this, the more I'm not sure I want my name involved with it. First off, what "various aspects" about Capsicums are you trying to study. What are your research questions? What is your methodology? For some reason, I have a difficult time believing CGN or GRIN will be all that interested in "research" done on flavor and pungency of these little known species. Secondly, how many of these varieties are YOU planning on growing yourself? I looked through your grow list and didn't see any of these varieties. Maybe it is just me, but having "researchers" do your work for you isn't starting to sound like that great of a deal to me any more. You said in your instructions to "keep the plants separated", I'm assuming to ensure you get pure seeds back when we send them. In a genetic research greenhouse setting, there are a lot of steps taken to ensure this and I don't think the average grower (like me) has this capability.

I don't mean to call you out on this but I AM doing research at the moment (not having to do with Capsicum) and know all the many hoops I've had to jump through at the University level (IRB approvals, liability waivers, informed consent forms, human / animal testing forms, etc.). I know how difficult it is to get these organizations to agree to send seeds, especially to a private citizen. I had to jump through hoops and submit proposals being a researcher at an agriculture extension office. You claim to be an independent researcher but so far, you seem to be a private grower to me that would like to get published and bit off more than he can chew.

Even ff what I brought to light is not true, I will be happy to return the accessions you sent me and remove myself from your study.

Sincerely,

DAN

a.k.a. RedtailForester

Hey Dan, while both projects are doing the same thing, the requirements for the CGN are bit more stricter than the GRIN. However, I have explained to both exactly what I'm am doing i.e. the research I've described here. As to what I am researching I have told them exactly what I have told those who are helping with the research. I guess they are interested in a classification of chilies as to flavors, length of time of burn and where the burn is. The reason they agreed to the research is I believe that those persons who make sauces in particular will find it helpful when trying to make a sauce when a certain flavor and hitting certain areas for certain lengths of time. They are in the business to some extant of promoting and preserving pepper varieties. The more pepper varieties in use out there, the more there will be in existence in the future.

You should see in my grow list everything from the GRIN as I am growing those also. You will find the one's from CGN once I get them in the ground.

If you don't want your name on it, I won't put it, but I believe giving credit where credit is due. I also thought it would be fun to involve a lot of the friendly people on this board.

I don't believe I said to keep all the plants separated just attempt to get 5 isolated pods from each plant.

I sent you my procedures. I don't think there is anything wrong with them to get the results I'm looking for.

Hope you decide to stay aboard.

Blessings from the frozen mid-west.

I would be shocked if you saw any peer reviewed publication (or any scientific journal for that matter) out of this thing, but you never know. Well, best of luck to you and those involved in the study. I'm out...

I would be shocked if you saw any peer reviewed publication (or any scientific journal for that matter) out of this thing, but you never know. Well, best of luck to you and those involved in the study. I'm out...
I'm sorry to hear that. Well I'm just trying to get the research to the various agencies giving me the seed. What they do with it is up to them. I hope it gets listed in their observations section.

Just a quick correction as to what I have listed as growing. I have only listed those I have in germination which have a late or very late maturity date.

And I appreciate your offer to send the seeds I sent you back. I'll get someone else to grow them probably.

No hard feelings here. Looking forward to continue to read your illuminating post on the rest of the board. Blessings!

I think your project is a GREAT idea, and I wish you success. I wish I was able to help you, but my growing this season will probably be limited to what I can grow indoors.

Haven't heard from you guys in a while. I'm hoping to see some of your harvest here and some reports soon. Thanks again.

got any seeds left that you still need tasted I am a non smoker interested in c baccatum types. Also I live in fl and have long season to fully grow them out to full ripeness and harvest lots of pods.

Back