• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Neem Napalm Strike!

Well i noticed that the number of fungus knats hanging around my plants was increasing so i basically dried out most of the soil on my plants to help combat my dillema. And to my suprise the little son of guns remained around mainly around jalapeno pot , siffting through the soil they were just coming out like crazy so i whipped up 1/2 gallon of water with 2 tablespoons of neem and 1 tablespoon of soap and drenched my jalapeno plant with most of the mix, now i know its was meant ti be sprayed not drenched, but did i take it to far, will my little sprouts die from this? Just got frustrated with the situation!

Well i noticed that the number of fungus knats hanging around my plants was increasing so i basically dried out most of the soil on my plants to help combat my dillema. And to my suprise the little son of guns remained around mainly around jalapeno pot , siffting through the soil they were just coming out like crazy so i whipped up 1/2 gallon of water with 2 tablespoons of neem and 1 tablespoon of soap and drenched my jalapeno plant with most of the mix, now i know its was meant ti be sprayed not drenched, but did i take it to far, will my little sprouts die from this? Just got frustrated with the situation!
Ya, I wouldnt have gone that route lol! mosquito dunks and yellow sticky traps would have been the way to go! :) It really depends on how young/small your plants were.

+1 what Mega said. There's been lots of discussion on folks using mosquito dunks lately. I did use Neem on my big established plants prior to overwintering with no problems. But the 'dunk water' is ideal for drenching soil and taking out gnat larvae.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

+1 what Mega said. There's been lots of discussion on folks using mosquito dunks lately. I did use Neem on my big established plants prior to overwintering with no problems. But the 'dunk water' is ideal for drenching soil and taking out gnat larvae.
did you use the neem as a spray or drench the soil?

use Mosuito dunks! put a whole halo into a gallon container and let it sit for a couple days then use that water to drench the soil, and refill he jug and keep watering with the dunk soaked water till no more fungus gnats!

I see an egg from your pic.

TheEgg.jpg

did you use the neem as a spray or drench the soil?

Before I over-wintered my established plants, I completely hosed them down to bare roots. I trimmed the root ball and sprayed with a Neem + soap mix prior to potting in clean mix.

I wouldn't be that aggressive with tiny seedlings--You might be okay with the application you did, but I wouldn't risk it again. Do the dunks! And when you pot up, get rid of that mix and try something different.

use Mosuito dunks! put a whole halo into a gallon container and let it sit for a couple days then use that water to drench the soil, and refill he jug and keep watering with the dunk soaked water till no more fungus gnats!
ok i just bought some dunks , so are you saying use 1 gallon per dunk, but like everyday every week , also bought some sticky crap to hopefully catch some

A lot gardeners just leave a whole dunk in their watering can or their outdoor water storage area. A gallon or two would be fine. It dissolves very slowly. Apply once a week for 3 weeks to get through the entire gnat life cycle.

Others have recommend smashing 1/4 dunk into powder with a hammer to speed up the action. This might result in some chunks getting into your soil. Personally, I don't see a down side to that, but its up to you.

UPDATE: the sticky tape alone is proving effective. Put 2 up last night woke up with about 30 of the little bastards stucks on it hahahahahahaha, still got a long fight think ill make a batch of that mosquito dunk stuff today and let it soak for a day and drench my plants, is it safe because that shit says hazardsous to humans on the back lol i dont want to eat a pepper and die from it from that shit if a pepper takes me out it better be from the scolding
heat!!

yes i do believe so, it is way to big to be an egg fot the size of the gnats, think he was just tryna be funny haha

Back