• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Nee's first pepper season. (Australia) Pics, vids & banter.. yey! \\(^o^)//

Hi all! Although i've been into hot sauces / chillies for a long time, a Google regarding "growing chillies in Australia" led me to this site......and onto amazing people here in Australia, who have inspired me to grow my own!
There's not a lot to report as of yet, but here's my story so far! Please feel free to give advice to a newbie, as i really want this human vs chilli relationship to work out!

The story so far....

Pre-soaking my chilli seeds. I have 14 or more varieties to sow: From top left to bottom right....

Habanero Chocolate
Scotch Bonnet TFM
Bhut Jolokia
Macedonian
Pimenta da Neyde
Magnum Habanero
7 Pod Jonah

Habanero White Giant
Hot Fish
Cili Goronong
7 Pod Red crossed Yellow
Manzano
Fatalii
Habanero White JellyBean

429184_10150709710846815_512806814_11810990_1071664776_n.jpg

Cutting the seeds from a Yellow 7 Pod....this time with GLOVES!! lol I have a load of extra seeds saved...just in case the winter grow doesn't work out, and i need to replant in the spring.
icon_smile.gif

430242_10150713853211815_512806814_11823775_1936088613_n.jpg

Week 1....seeds are in a propagator, kept at a constant 25 degree's thanks to the cable modem it's sat on! I don't expect any change for 4 weeks or so....fingers crossed!
429053_10150713858641815_512806814_11823787_310071790_n.jpg

You are getting plenty of pods happening there bro!!! Especially for the colder climes of Melbourne this early. Some nice varieties as well.
Thanks Trippa :)
It deffo paid to start indoors, although next year i'm probably going to leave it a bit later than March!! I'm thinking June / July is ample.

The weather here is really up & down at the moment. I didn't realise, but last night got down to about 4 or 5 degrees. The plants seem fine with it though, so no drama's thankfully.
The rest of the week isn't much better, but i'm sure they'll be ok.

I had a browse around Bunnings earlier and found a plastic dome thing for protecting smaller plants, so i bought a couple as i have put a couple of smaller plants out in the ground and i figured it would be handy to stop them getting so battered by the winds we seem to be getting lately. At $6 a go, i won't be buying as many as i'd like to......so I'm trying to find some cheap thin plastic stuff to make 'cylinders' to go around my smaller in-ground plants, but Bunnings want $32 for a 1m x 1m sheet...which is way over what i want to be paying! If anyone can suggest something that might do the job for a fraction of the cost, it would be appreciated! :)

I've just cut the bottom off a 2 litre plastic drink bottle. You can leave the lid on or off based on how cold it gets. If you get one with a handle you can also use it as a scoop.

Thanks Moo...

Yeah, i'm using that method for the teeny ones, but it's for the 'next size up'....where they are getting too wide for a 2L drink bottle, but too small to successfully stake.

I use kebab skewers to stake really small plants if they need it. Silicon is an additive that will strengthen the plants stems but the best thing is to condition them with a fan inside before they go out so the sudden wind isn't so much of a shock.

You could always cut the bottom out of some plastic pots or an old bucket and put it around the plant. Last season all my raised beds were really exposed so I put up a fence/screen of shade cloth around them. Worked perfectly and didn't have to be taken down during the day. Also kept out small children ;)

I use kebab skewers to stake really small plants if they need it. Silicon is an additive that will strengthen the plants stems but the best thing is to condition them with a fan inside before they go out so the sudden wind isn't so much of a shock.

You could always cut the bottom out of some plastic pots or an old bucket and put it around the plant. Last season all my raised beds were really exposed so I put up a fence/screen of shade cloth around them. Worked perfectly and didn't have to be taken down during the day. Also kept out small children ;)

All good tips. I used the fan trick in my grow tent last winter and it really worked. Another use I found for the bamboo skewers was to stymie cutworms. Don't know if you have them down under, but they're a real pain here.

All good tips. I used the fan trick in my grow tent last winter and it really worked. Another use I found for the bamboo skewers was to stymie cutworms. Don't know if you have them down under, but they're a real pain here.
Hmmm, that's not a creature I'm familiar with Stick, but then again I've not been in Australia that long, so it could be!
Anyone native Aussie care to comment on that one?
And yes, I can now see how a fan can help in this situation... Still learning every day here, and will take on board for 2013!
I love this forum.

Silica has made my plants tough as nails! I've really noticed a difference since I started feeding it to my plants. Not one of this seasons starts has required a stake so far.

what product do you use to give them silica?

I foliar feed with this: http://batphone.com.au/products/liquid-fertilisers/silica-potash-1-litre.html (Potassium silicate)

And feed the soil with this: http://batphone.com.au/products/micro-mineral-liquid-fertilisers/micro-sil-1ltre.html (micronised diatomaceous earth)

Plus I use these two products which both contain silica:

http://batphone.com.au/products/triple-boost-liquid-fertilisers/triple-boost-1-litre.html (what I use to feed my babies)

http://batphone.com.au/products/dry-mineral-fertilisers/organic-link-10kg.html (added to my potting mixes)

Plant of Health is a local company and I can pick up their products direct from their warehouse. :D

Reactions: nee
Hi all!

Well, it's up & down weather-wise here at the moment. One day it'll be 27 degrees, and the next day back to 15 degrees and raining, with night temps down to 5!!! It's kind of normal in VIC i guess, but i just want it to make up it's mind to make it easier for me and the plants...lol

Pretty much everything that i consider big / strong enough to survive outside ARE outside now....plus i have a heap of new seedlings going in the back porch, as well as a few still yet to germ.
I managed to track down some Olho de Peixe seeds for my cuz (el hombre chilli) and decided to order a few for myself too, but have yet to get any going yet.

The plants i transfered to the front garden seem to be surviving ok....but they dont seem to be thriving either. The fact they haven't died is something i guess!? I will hold off planting any more there until i'm happy that they're better in the soil than in pots.

Here's a few pics from today.....it was terrible weather, really wet and horrible, and as soon as i decided to pull the camera out the wind picked up out of nowhere and began battering the poor things. I'm so glad i staked these now!!

OK, some pics from today...

Fatalli starting to put out loads of pods...

420440_10151249421326815_293624808_n.jpg

47564_10151249421376815_1208280280_n.jpg

Bhut Jolokia Assam

522982_10151249421481815_532578267_n.jpg

7 pot Red x Yellow

66263_10151249421571815_1159277315_n.jpg

Mag Hab

482956_10151249421731815_1256802794_n.jpg

22622_10151249422071815_750484620_n.jpg

Goronong

302529_10151249421911815_498319477_n.jpg

Macedonian still putting out pods

222413_10151249422186815_1226784051_n.jpg

Pimenta De Neyde still not up to much on the left......Macedonian on the right

292700_10151249422246815_1697348442_n.jpg

A meagre few ripe ones from this evening....Macedonian x 2 and a Fish Pepper.

197574_10151249422321815_958925341_n.jpg

Oh, and can someone set me straight on a couple of pronunciations of these varieties please!? I feel a total idiot asking....lol

Pimenta De Neyde....is Neyde said as "neighed" or "need"...or something else!?

Bhut....is it said as "But"....or more like "boot"? :eh: :oops: Thanks!!!

Cheers all :)

Hi Nee just watched your vid , you have some great looking plants , looks like your way ahead of most of us guys in Oz,those plants that you have in the front that are getting the winds ,have you got some old shade cloth that you can make a mini fence with , i made a small shade cloth fence about 2 ft high last season for my veggie garden and it stoped most of the wind.
Best of luck for the rest of the season.

Hi Nee just watched your vid , you have some great looking plants , looks like your way ahead of most of us guys in Oz,those plants that you have in the front that are getting the winds ,have you got some old shade cloth that you can make a mini fence with , i made a small shade cloth fence about 2 ft high last season for my veggie garden and it stopped most of the wind.
I'll +1 that!

i made a small shade cloth fence about 2 ft high last season for my veggie garden and it stoped most of the wind.

Brilliant! Didn't think of that... Sometimes it's the simple things eh!?

Well, i have had a productive few hours here today. On the other side of our house there's a small area that we never know what to do with. We mow it...the grass grows back....we leave it...then we mow it again...then leave it...etc....and it became a bit of a dumping ground for things we'd hope would just disappear...lol
I cut the grass yet again yesterday, and then thought it might actually be a good spot to whack a load of pots (bit too much work to get the soil to a good enough state)
So after battling the overgrown grass, removing a heap of ivy (hopefully killed at the main trunk now) and moving a huge tractor tyre that we'd shoved down there to get it out the way, i then got some weed matting and "hey presto"....some more space for growing lots of lovely pepper plants! I'm hoping it will prove to be a good space to grow, as it's quite sheltered from the wind. I'm going to see what the sun ratio is there and might pop some shade cloth over it from the roof to the fence, but i'm hoping that it won't need it.
Oh, and apologies for the state of the garden...lol I look at everyone elses lovely kept garden areas, and here's ours with bits of carpet / a tractor tyre and general 'bogun-ness'....lol But it's work in progress still!! (that's my excuse anyway!!)

150298_10151251012241815_2094743792_n.jpg

Yay! More free space! Actually reminds me of an area on the side of my house, as well. However, unlike yours, mine is covered with a concrete slab. But because of a giant tree that is in the front yard, the area gets exactly zero sun all day.

If you can't dump that tractor tire, maybe make it into a small raised bed!

You don`t have to dump anything in OZ, just put it out on collection day & the local council will "dump it" for you free of change.

Mezo.

If the pile scavengers don't get to it first. :lol:

I was moving around the time of last collection day and here me and mate are unloading the ute when a pile scavenger drives past, eyeballs my assumed "score" and gives us the nod and wave like we're one of them! I'm like, quick, let's get my shit inside before someone comes in the yard and makes off with it! :rofl:

It's a pain here, as we don't get any roadside collection here in Lara :(
Back in the UK we could dump pretty much anything and everything for free...hence we were shocked that over here we have to pay nearly $40 for a trailer load :surprised: And $25 to dump a mattress!!? No wonder i see so many dumped at the roadside...that's a crazy amount! Plus we always dread all the packaging at Christmas, as it takes the next 6 weeks to get rid of the cardboard, trying to cram it in the recycling bin whilst still allowing a bit of room for the bottles and cans and day to day stuff...grrrr!!

AAAANYWAY....., whinging about rubbish-collection aside, i whacked the trakkter toire on Ebay last night for $2 and it's sold....so that's got rid of that finally!! We didn't think anyone would want it to be honest! We're really pleased that somebody does want it though, as if it's $25 to dump a mattress then i dread to think how much a tractor tyre would be!?

Back