• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Net pot size for DWC system

I'm about to embark on another grow experiment, this time with six 56-quart Sterilite containers and a 600-watt MH system. Three tomato plants (mostly Celebrity but one each of Trust) per container. Celebrity is a Determ, Trust is and Indy.

I've always used 5" net pots, that's what the first system I bought came with and I never really gave much thought to it. But I'm wondering if I really need to. I will use something akin to a Florida Weave to hold the plants upright and in rows, so as long as the net pot is large enough to hold the rockwool, is there any benefit to make it larger. I was thinking about 3" as that is still a decent size but would leave more of the lid of the container intact, making it stronger.

Any experiences or thoughts?

Mike

Thanks guys. I never really thought about it until last night. I'm getting ready to buy several pots and rock to fill them and if I don't need 5" pots I see no reason to spend the extra $$$. Plus, making smaller holes will put less stress on the lids.

Mike

I used 3.75 sized net pots, I think, during my first attempt. They worked fine and I doubt it matters. What does matter is how you go about keeping them upright. My set up had limited height and was rather cramped, during a reservoir change I nearly snapped my plants main stems.

If growing inside I would certainly recommend a non restricted environment, maybe a grow tent which can provide the light source a method of being raised and lowered. Also, after growing in a rubbermaid tote myself, I wouldn't recommend them for growing peppers or tomatoes. When I start my second attempt I will utilize an ebb & flow or stand alone dwc buckets with an empty bucket on stand by for water changes. I will probably use the rubbermaid tote system again but will limit its use to grow primarily leafy greens.

As I have been looking at cloning/rooting herb cuttings to sell at the local market, I have done a fair amount of web searching and this is the cheapest place with shipping to get net pots.

http://www.hydroponics.net/c/166

Has anyone got a better price or source?

For 3" net pots I paid $o.75 each +tax per at the local hydro store. Shipped with S&H they are $o.27 each(packages of 100).

Datil,

That's a good price - I paid 60¢ each plus tax, though I could have saved a dime and got the ones with the narrow lip. If my test works (I'm trying to see what kind of production I can get) I'll get a bunch more of them. I would just as soon order on-line - that store is 30 miles away. There's one closer but they charge about 80¢ per pot; I try to avoid rip-off artists!

Mike

as mentioned, the 3" pots are working out well for me too. With toms since the roots are contained in the 5 gal buckets (what I use). I think mine are in the .36 range each when I buy by the 100 lot.

I've tried lots of different sizes and note that, in hydro, roots will fill the space available and the plants grow about the same.

Hydro delivers dinner and water so large root systems/pots/repotting are not required.

Back