• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

drying New dehydrator help_jerky

I am very excited to say that I got my first dehydrator for Christmas. My awesome wife has heard me talk about peppers, powders, sauce and such for so long. I think she wants me to try it on my own.

I think I am starting out with sweet and spicy jerky. I just moved a venison roast from freezer to refrigerator side. I hope it mostly grass by morning. But I need to get my recipe and drying times and temps down.

If anyone wants to help then please feel free. The dehydrator is a Nesco Professional if that's helps.

Thank you. Ben.

Look up any recipe online, modify it to your liking. The basics - soy sauce, brown sugar, salt, liquid smoke. Drying temps are anywhere from 130-160, I put mine on in the morning and when its dried (pliable, but cracks as you bend it) I take it out.

make your cuts before it thaws.  Much easier to get even, thin slices while it's pretty frozen.  Can't help on the sweet and spicy I usually just marinate in dales seasoning or the kroger brand which is the same stuff. 

If you are a woodworker or know a woodworker make or have made a plank of hardwood (cherry, maple, or some other closed pore wood) that has two sides that are about 1/4" higher than the center.  Then you can place the meat you are cutting for jerky in the center and lay your knife across the two sides and cut.  Easy and cheap way to get consistent slices (for those of us who are challenged that way).

-Alden

Thank y'all very much. I will be slicing it directly while it is partially frozen. My wife will not let me order mix kits because she hates the preservatives and artificial flavors. So I have to put a recipe marinade together. The dehydrator actually came with some spice packs but she want let me use them.

Thank you Jay T. I actually did a search and missed that somehow. Leave it to me to overlook something every time.

I had to do three searches to find the one I was looking for, so don't feel bad.  That one doesn't come up easy because it is so old.

Ok, I got a roast cut up and marinating. My wife put the mix together. I guarantee its not as hot as I would have made it but I am sure it will be good for our first try. Might do turkey jerky next.

could always sprinkle some pepper powder on a tray full and keep note of which one so the others won't be as hot.  I add my heat this way since not every one likes it in the marinade.

First batch come out killer. I got another huge venison ham thawing out. Thank you for all the help. And Browning I will definitely do the powder method you mentioned.

Back