• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds New germination room

After being inspired by AJ's growth and germination rates I have decided on a medium term project with an ex truck freezer body that I would like to turn into a dedicated germination room. It is 5.2meters or 17'1" long 2.2 meters or 7' wide and 1.73 meters or 5'8" high.
After looking at it I need to figure out bench widths, lighting, irrigation, fans, heating and drainage needed.
At 17' long and 7' wide I could have 2 X 2'6" benchs down both sides joined at the back end which would give me about 770sq ft of grow bench with a 2' wide walkway down the middle.
The main consideration would be the grow lights, what type, size etc would I use to cover the benches adequately without wasting grow lights on the walk way.
As it doesnt snow here or get too cold I could also put laser light(polycarbonate sheeting) on the roof to let natural light in as well on which I could devise a cover to pull over at night as well.

I have done pretty well with an old freezer on its side with a waterbed heater under a fish tank and a couple of heat pads but I was still limited by the slow growth speed.
I have had seedlings grown by a commercial seedling grower last season and even they were 12 weeks to delivery at transplant size. I delivered the seed to them in August and the weren't delivered to me till mid November.They were all chinense, 2000 orange habs, 2000 caribbean reds and 2000 hot paper lanterns. Plus a smattering of others for trials. They were grown in an unheated glasshouse. I am sure that AJ's seedlings at 35 days look to be well advanced on what they were at the same stage.(35 days)
IMG_1177.jpg

IMG_1182.jpg

IMG_1184.jpg
<BR Inside, It is used as a storage shed at the moment but the 6" thick insulated walls are wasted as a storage shed

IMG_1187.jpg

thats an ambitious project SG...and a good idea...don't have to worry about insulating the area since it is already insulated...

I know you have said you are interested in the LEDs for growth and that IMO will be your major upfront cost...from what I have read, the coverage area of the ones I have is a 4' squasre area when they are 3-4' above the plants...they do make "strip" LED growlights too but I have not researched them yet...just googled a bit and found these...I may have to look into them my self for my shelves...they cover a 14" wide by 21 or 34 inches long

http://www.theledlight.com/LED-grow-lights.html

what are the dimensions of the seed trays/seedling trays you use?...Iknow you know it but pay attention to the width and lenght of your trays and design your benches to fit your tray size...30" wide benches may not be as useful to you as say 24" wide and there is no use to have wasted space that you can't put plants/seeds on....

good luck to you..

The more that I research about LED’s light spectrums and coverage areas has pointed me into an area of looking for a simple light spectrum/intensity USB analyzers. I am probably going too far with this, but if I could keep the cost reasonable I would like to use this device to measure and chart different scenarios as well as setting up a grow area to it maximum potential. It seems like I have far too many questions than answers.

thats an ambitious project SG...and a good idea...don't have to worry about insulating the area since it is already insulated...

I know you have said you are interested in the LEDs for growth and that IMO will be your major upfront cost...from what I have read, the coverage area of the ones I have is a 4' squasre area when they are 3-4' above the plants...they do make "strip" LED growlights too but I have not researched them yet...just googled a bit and found these...I may have to look into them my self for my shelves...they cover a 14" wide by 21 or 34 inches long

http://www.theledlig...row-lights.html

what are the dimensions of the seed trays/seedling trays you use?...Iknow you know it but pay attention to the width and lenght of your trays and design your benches to fit your tray size...30" wide benches may not be as useful to you as say 24" wide and there is no use to have wasted space that you can't put plants/seeds on....

good luck to you..

Good thoughts and exactly why I posted the project. If I keep getting all of the ideas in before I start I should be able to do it right the first time. Great point on the seedling tray sizes I will have to make a final decision on those before I start. I also have had a bit of a look around at LED lights, strip lighting looks good as does some of the long led gro lights.

I like! I can see you sprouting thousands of seeds at a time. How did you snag the trailer?

Mike
Yeah, when I do things to make it easier I somehow always give my self more work. lucky I love growing chillies.
I got the box from a neighbour who builds horse floats and the smaller one beside it. He was buying 2nd hand trucks at auction and converting them into horse transporters.Tthe smaller one still has all of the Thermo king chiller unit on it so I will use that as my cool room for my sauces. I buy a ton of mango 2nds at a time. I already have a larger permanent cool room on this property but when I sell and move I will need a new one at the new place and that one will do to tide me over until I can build another permanent one.

Keep us updated on the progress, lots of pics.
Looks like it could be AJ's grow-box on steroids.
It was Aj who inspired me to get my arse into gear and do things properly, If only things werent up in the air real estate wise I would have a better idea af schedule. I will collect and buy and measure and generally do everything first in preparation before I empty it out in case the place sells. If it sells I will just fill it with more plastic stuff(pots etc and use it as one transport module first. I am already needing about 3 or 4 X 20' containers to move all of my shed and garden stuff plus a couple of flat bed trailers to move my power poles and stuff necessary to build a netted grow area. Where we are moving to is an idyllic spot near the beach but it also has oppossums who happen to love chillies. In NZ the possums are a pest to be trapped, poisoned or shot but over here the dryer climate keeps them in check plus they are native so they are protected.

possum's perotected?...lord have mercy...please don't tell Granny...she'll have a caniption...

Back