• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

New grower

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum. I'm from Milwaukee, WI, USA. Anyone here growing peppers in colder weather? I grew my first peppers last year (Jalapenos, Serranos, Cayennes, Scotch Bonnets) but the Red Savannas never did anything. I'm moving this year, so can't grow any that aren't portable right now. I want to grow some Nagas, but don't know if that will work given the climate, and I don't know if that's the reason the RS didn't do anything. Anyone in a colder climate have success growing Nagas and does it affect the heat intensity? Should I try starting with small plants rather than seeds?

Colder climates? Try Jokkmokk where I live...

I grow everything in pots as the ground never get warm enough. I don't get the great harvests as our friends in Texas or Australia and I do get to plant the seeds in february or even january to have plants big enough for fruiting come summer. Don't know if my growing conditions affect the heat, but I don't want it any hotter...

When it comes to Red Savinas and other chinense I might plant in december.

I'd laugh myself silly if I got one season with the climate you have in Wisconsin! :P

I'm not nearly as far north as MrArboc, but I am considerably further north than you are. I'm growing some in pots and some in the ground. Both are in a greenhouse and so far the plants in pots are doing better than the ones in the ground.

I dunno how it's going to affect the heat intensity, but I have also recently started some Dorset Naga's from seeds that I received from Nova. I plan on overwintering them and see how they do next year. I don't expect anything out of them this year. I only have about 50 or so days of the growing season left.

Welcome from Virginia. I have been to the Wisconsin Dells during the summer. All those water slides - fun! Gorgeous weather there, you just have to start your peppers early enough inside. Winters can be a little brutal, but not like Canada.

Here is cold enough for me... but Sweden, no thank you. You guys just got out of the Ice Age. Greenland's next. Yes, Wisconsin Dells is great! Water parks in the middle of "The land of 10,000 lakes".

I planted late March last year and the red savinas did good until I put them outside in June. Maybe they just needed to start earlier so they'd be more hearty. I guess I will try starting in winter then.

Theres no reason to not get fruit in a cold climet... Start early! December-January ish... This way, when the weather outside is favorable you will already have some decent sized plants and you should get at least one decent harvest, if not more!

Good Luck :)

I'm not a cold climate expert like the others, but I do know that if you overwinter, you improve your chances for a nice crop next year....

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but it does help ALOT.

Back