• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds New guy with a question on seedlings

Hello all

I just registered after finding the website two weeks ago.  I have been reading pretty much everything on the site and am so jealous of many of the pictures listed.

I have always loved hot and spicy foods but I had no idea that this whole world of super hot peppers existed.  Everyone knows the Ghost Pepper and The Reaper but I had never heard of "Brain Strain" and "7 Pot Bubblegum"  there are so many that I want to try.

This year I am growing Habaneros and Jalapenos.  They are the only seeds I can get at the local nursury.  Before finding this forum I went on Ebay and bught some of the Super Hots.  Please forgive me for that.

I dont know if its too late to start another "batch" of seeds if I were to purchase some off some of the vendors here?

My question has to do with my seedlings right now.  I have a couple that are starting their 3rd set of true leaves,  I watered them yesterday with a 1/2 tsp of Fish Fertilizer in a Litre of water. Everything seems ok.

The room temperature is 74 degrees F.  Is that okay for seedlings or should it be warmer?  I have a seed heater mat with a thermostat that I can use.  Should my soil be warmer or should seedlings be kept at a cooler temperature.

I honestly have no idea

Thanks for everything on this website,  You guys are a bank of knowledge

Go Irish Beat North Carolina!

NDT

Yeah you're perfect right now. Just leave them be, water when needed, and feed when needed. And no, if the seeds take 1-2 weeks to germinate, then go ahead start a new batch. But if it's one of those finicky 20 day germination ones, I'd be careful if it gets cold earlier for you. (September)

Gargoyle91 said:
Last year I got all scientific to much info I guess I was not successful with any of my seedlings I managed to stunt all growth stayed 2 inch high for months. This year I just put seed in dirt and BAM! they started growing lol  
Very good lesson here...Mother nature does fine with soil, rain and sunlight...Keeping it as simple as possible.

:welcome: from Nova Scotia :)

Sounds like you're off to a good start with your seedlings. If you have good lighting to go with what you've mentioned, then you ought to have time to plant some more. Along the lines of what shamair28 was suggesting, I'd say you'd do alright if you're planting more Annuum's (Jalapeno, Cayenne, etc), though Chinense varieties might be cutting it a bit close because of the shorter season we have up here in Canada. (Personally, I'd say it'd be worth a shot!) :)

The super sprouter seedling heat mat 2 tray and a thermometer that it plugs into is a great investment. I use it works great. Also a T5 4 bulb light. I have a grow log feel free to check it out and ask as much as you want. I'm not a pro but I will help any way I can. Also I sent you a PM.

I have them under lights right now 3 xT5 Sunblaster lights on a timer of 18 on and 6 off.  I lost a lot right off the start with dampening off.  I kept the dome on all the time.  Im using Miracle Gro Cactus Mix.  I water once a week and this week was the first time I added anything to the water.  I also have some bone meal and epsom salts on standby.

Super Hots Canada said:
:welcome: from Nova Scotia :)

Sounds like you're off to a good start with your seedlings. If you have good lighting to go with what you've mentioned, then you ought to have time to plant some more. Along the lines of what shamair28 was suggesting, I'd say you'd do alright if you're planting more Annuum's (Jalapeno, Cayenne, etc), though Chinense varieties might be cutting it a bit close because of the shorter season we have up here in Canada. (Personally, I'd say it'd be worth a shot!) :)
or order a few plants from Juanitos :onfire:  !  

Don't sweat it.  I have been growing in a south facing window here in Manitoba since January with no added heat or lights.  You will be just fine there in BC.  Your plants will be fine. 

Back