• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

new guy with ?

hey folks,
im new here and recently got hooked on hot pepper growing.
im addicted,anyhow.
is the bhut jolokia and bhut naga the same?

Howdy!

Generally, it is:

• Bih Jolokia
  • Bhut Jolokia
  • Dorset Naga
  • Naga Morich

The first two are basically the same, just grown in different areas of India and thus named differently.

The Dorset Naga was a hybridized offshoot of the Naga Morich. It tends to be smaller aand less long as the Bih/Bhut/Morich peppers.

The often seen advertised chile "naga jolokia" is usually a cayenne-shaped PC-1 hybrid that's not nearly as hot and can be confusing. It's because online, people can call stuff anything trying to sell it based on a name.

Here's a related thread: http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=11981&

Different conditions, where grown, all contribute to varietal differences. Also, chiles LOVE to crossbreed...making a pure strain very difficult to have.

They are all related though. :)

Welcome to The Hot Pepper.com from Ohio...You have found the right place to feed all of your hot pepper addiction. Remember, you are among friends and there isn't anything to be ashamed of. :lol:

QuadShotz said:
Howdy!

Generally, it is:

• Bih Jolokia
  • Bhut Jolokia
  • Dorset Naga
  • Naga Morich

The first two are basically the same, just grown in different areas of India and thus named differently.
No they're not. depending on your source, as some are selling the same chile under different names. there is a Bih out there that isn't anything like the Bhut. different growth pattern and even different flavor.
QuadShotz said:
The Dorset Naga was a hybridized offshoot of the Naga Morich. It tends to be smaller aand less long as the Bih/Bhut/Morich peppers.
It wasn't hybridized my friend, only selectively bred. it's about the same size as the Naga Morich, only with a bit more consistent shape.
QuadShotz said:
The often seen advertised chile "naga jolokia" is usually a cayenne-shaped PC-1 hybrid that's not nearly as hot and can be confusing. It's because online, people can call stuff anything trying to sell it based on a name.
Where TF do you get that stuff? it ain't no hybrid. it's a chile on its own that's either Annuum or Frutescens. PC-1 is the name given to it by the authorities.

QuadShotz said:
Different conditions, where grown, all contribute to varietal differences. Also, chiles LOVE to crossbreed...making a pure strain very difficult to have.

They are all related though. :)
1. You can grow all of the above in the same conditions, and still they won't be the same chile. WHY? GENETICS.
2. From my understanding all of those "Naga-type" chiles are some sort of crosses, some even with Frutescens genes. there isn't a "pure strain". :neutral:

To sum it all up... CUT THE BS.

Gday and welcome ! I have eaten all of them and they are different ever so slightly ! Especially when dried. But once they start burning they are about the same !
Trinidad Scorpions and 7 pods are the only hotter IMO !

thanks for the replys.
i asked because i started some seeds last night and i thought i ordered bhut jolokia from two different sources and one of em sent me bhut naga.
and the difference in the seeds is obvious by color.the seeds labeled bhut jolokia had a red or pink around the outside of em.
the other ones labeled bhut naga were white or cream but the shapes were the same.

ebk637 said:
thanks for the replys.
i asked because i started some seeds last night and i thought i ordered bhut jolokia from two different sources and one of em sent me bhut naga.
and the difference in the seeds is obvious by color.the seeds labeled bhut jolokia had a red or pink around the outside of em.
the other ones labeled bhut naga were white or cream but the shapes were the same.
The red color is just a trace of fungicides.

So mebeb i don't 'get' the way peppers become other peppers.

I dont really care.

I did try to help a newbie, my bad.

Go plant chiles in Gaza.

QuadShotz said:

I dont really care.

Go plant chiles in Gaza.
Was that meant to hurt in any way?

QuadShotz said:

I dont really care.

Go plant chiles in Gaza.

That was outta line Quad. You can prove your point, agree to disagree or stand corrected, but leave it at that.

I believe all of them are from the same genetics, and all are likely C. chinense with some C. frutescens but because they have been grownm in different locations, they have naturally adapted or have been selectively bred and now have slight differences.
The dorset naga is definitely a naga morich which was selectively bred(choosing pods with certain beneficial qualities to use for seeds) They tried to get a PVP(plant variety protection) but were denied since there was no new genes introduced, only selective breeding

Back