New Manzano variety

Just found a few of these at the Latino Supermarket in Vista, CA. Same store I`ve been getting the huge ones from, but these are small and much, much darker orange. I`m officially excited to grow these newt year!!!

I was told they were imported from Guatemala.

Review will be up tomorrow!
Very hot for a pubescens. Really close to Habanero-hot.

The flavor is very distinctive; first it is fruity and very apricot-y, then the sweetness goes away and leaves a really nice cucumber-y flavour. As for any Manzano, they are extremely juicy. 

Wow, these are really excellent! I hope they import some more!!!

Jeff H said:
Do they have a name Nigel? 
Hi Jeff,

no they don`t, or at least if they do I don`t know it. I`m just calling them Small Guatemalan Orange Manzano. I know that is quite innovative of me, but it`s all I got  :party:

This is a problem with C.pubescens in general. Manzanos are yellow/orange and Rocotos and red. After that you`re almost on your own. Some might be "Costa Rican Red Rocoto" or have some seed bank accession number, but that`s about it. 

So few people grow lots of different ones, they don`t get shared as a named type. 

Nigel said:
Hi Jeff,

no they don`t, or at least if they do I don`t know it. I`m just calling them Small Guatemalan Orange Manzano. I know that is quite innovative of me, but it`s all I got  :party:

This is a problem with C.pubescens in general. Manzanos are yellow/orange and Rocotos and red. After that you`re almost on your own. Some might be "Costa Rican Red Rocoto" or have some seed bank accession number, but that`s about it. 

So few people grow lots of different ones, they don`t get shared as a named type. 

I hear you. I have several rocotos and monzanos sprouted for next year but they are just the normal red and yellow ones. I'm always interested in the new discoveries. Pubes are great peppers. 

Nigel said:
Just found a few of these at the Latino Supermarket in Vista, CA. Same store I`ve been getting the huge ones from, but these are small and much, much darker orange. I`m officially excited to grow these newt year!!!

I was told they were imported from Guatemala.

Do you have a photo of them with a ruler in the shot for an idea of scale?

the one at 12 oclock looks rocotoish rather than manzano as it is more cylindrical. the others tend to have that apple appearence.

Hi Nigel,

What do you think of this manzano?

PB107568.jpg

HP22BH said:
the one at 12 oclock looks rocotoish rather than manzano as it is more cylindrical. the others tend to have that apple appearence.
I suspect that there are many shapes and not a typical Manzano vs Typical Rocoto. We just don`t get to see many different types. 
DesertPod said:
Hi Nigel,

What do you think of this manzano?

PB107568.jpg

I think it`s awesome! Any idea where it came from? 

That could be very true. I have only seen them appear in the local market in the last two months. before that, I had only heard of them.
But since their acquisition, I sure have enjoyed everything they have to offer. great taste and a respectable heat.

This one came from the local market, so its from Mexico, if you are interested I could share a few seeds from this verey same pod. Quite hot btw, from my humble opinion. 

Back