• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

New Mexico Red Chile con carne recipe

New Mexico Red Chile:

1-2lb. ground beef or aleady made pot roast
10-12 large NM red chile pods
4 large cloves of garlic

Boil the chile pods till soft about 30 min. then let cool for about 30min more. Meanwhile start cooking the meat. If using ground beef make sure its broken up into fine pieces, not chunks. Cook the meat till slightly crispy and do not drain the fat. When the chile pods are soft enough remove the stems if you didnt already. Place the pods in a blender with the water you boiled them in. Turn on the blender speed gradually to high. While blending go ahead and throw in two of the garlic cloves and let blend about 5min or till there are no pod or garlic pieces. Pour the chile puree in with the meat and simmer for about 10 minutes so the chile oils can combine with the fat from the meat. After that add water and boil for about 15 minutes. Chop up the remaining garlic cloves, finley, and add to the chili. At this point it should have a runny consistency, if you like it with a thicker consistency then mix equal parts cold water with flour (1/2 cup to 1/2 cup) and add to the chile and simmer to the right consistency. You could also add mashed potato flakes instead of the flour, just pour in and mix to your liking. When using shredded beef (previously cooked pot roast), chicken or lean meats use olive oil as a sub for meat fat. For old school athentic use lard.

Oh yeah I almost forgot......ABSOLUTLEY NO TOMATO SAUCE. No one, and I mean no one puts tomato sauce in their chili here. It is looked down upon throughout the entire state (except for maybe Santa Fe, due to the yuppies), the only thing that would combine chili and tomato sauce are the pasta sauces Arribiata and Fra Diavolo and maybe some salsas. If you do that, no one else will eat your chili and they will make fun of your chili, and here in New Mexico they will call you and your tomato sauce based chili "Tejano", or Texan. Its ok to put chopped tomatoes on top or mix beans in it, but no tomato sauce. No bell peppers either.

Excellent Spice. I agree with everything you said. Well done.
icon_smile.gif

Back