• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil New Potting Soil - Unused for Years

Does anyone notice new potting soil deteriotes in the package if not used in 2-3 years? Especially peat-based soils. I buy good potting soil from a reputable nursery. I got it on sale 2-3 years ago and couldn't use it all.

I've recently had my huge aphid problem and it seems like no matter how much I water this soil, it doesn't stay saturated. The top of the soil seems crusty. It's very irritating. Also, my plants are just growing horribly this year. I am guessing most of it is the aphids, but....

I released a bunch of ladybugs indoors and they're really kicking the aphids' A##. :) Kind of gross though, but effective.

I just can't figure out what on earth are the issues this year. By far, it's my worse year growing seedlings. :(

Chris

So sorry to hear of your seedling not growing well thing. You use very little potting soil when they are in square pots inside I'd invest in some Pro-Mix seed starting mix. Save the unused soil when you go outside. Don't know about the crusty soil, but when my water ph is off it sometime does that. I'd seriously check the water ph of your tap water and adjust from there to around 6.0-6.5. My tap water is 8.0 and is no good for my plants straight from the faucet. Good luck.

p.s.-your peat based soil could have broken down and changed the whole ph of the soil, check the ph of the runoff water too.

Back