• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting New to fermenting

I'm new to fermenting and was looking for some advice on salt water brine v. just using salt

I looked at a bunch of threads on here and I see the ferment being done both ways. I don't have long -unfortunately - to let this trial batch sit (probably only 2 weeks) so i was looking to start with a mash. 

I'm not big on added starters so it was simply going to be just the peppers, onions, garlic, etc. I see people mixing their mash with only salt and others using the salt water brine. Was wondering if there was any benefit to using either method, especially given the time constraint. 

I'd skip the water. The only thing I use it for is consistency. Mash will likely be too thick without it but you can always thin it out after the ferment. You might get faster results without the water as well, but use less salt. I will let the pros here give their opinions though.

Redeemer said:
I'd skip the water. The only thing I use it for is consistency. Mash will likely be too thick without it but you can always thin it out after the ferment. You might get faster results without the water as well, but use less salt. I will let the pros here give their opinions though.
Thanks for the reply. I figured the salt alone would generate it's own brine from the peppers but wasn't sure if the added water would help given the time constraint or slow down the process (or if it didn't matter either way, lol!)

On the other hand, I always use a 5% brine for my ferments since it makes the consistency of the sauce come out just right and I think it's an easier way to control the salt level. Plus, I just chop my ingredients rather than mash (but assume the mash would work just fine with a brine) and never use a starter. I've never really seen the need for it in my own sauce making. I've done several sauces in two weeks with a ferment, no problem. You might consider adding something with a bit more sugar in it (mango, pineapple, sweet potato, carrot) to get things rolling.

hoibot said:
On the other hand, I always use a 5% brine for my ferments since it makes the consistency of the sauce come out just right and I think it's an easier way to control the salt level. Plus, I just chop my ingredients rather than mash (but assume the mash would work just fine with a brine) and never use a starter. I've never really seen the need for it in my own sauce making. I've done several sauces in two weeks with a ferment, no problem. You might consider adding something with a bit more sugar in it (mango, pineapple, sweet potato, carrot) to get things rolling.
The Himalayan pink is great stuff. I have used it in the last two batches I started. A word on not using a starter that could be just coincidence but I thought I would share. Whenever I've NOT used a starter, I have bubbles and water solid (rising) separation by the next day. I mean its fast. With a starter I get bubbles after a few days, but not as much visible activity. I don't think there is a difference in the end product but its much more fun to watch the ones that haven't had a starter. While only starter I've ever used is a refrigerated "now foods" acidophilus, I'm positive it is active and alive, doing its thing.

I wouldn't even have brought this up except that I had my first blow out last night with a non-inoculated batch. It is in one of the clamp down style jars, which usually relieve enough pressure to be self burping. I've never had an issue. Yes I filled it a bit too high but figured, without a starter, I would be ok. Boy was I wrong. This is only two days ago and the LAB had a crazy orgy leaving me with lots to clean. Pics forthcoming after I clean :P 

While the ferment can run and possibly have the Ph down to an acceptable level within your 2 week requirement, it's really what happens after the initial ferment is done that really makes fermenting the peppers so good. It's like an aging that goes on where everything in the jar just gets all happy and really good tasting. I've never let a ferment go for less than 45 days. 

JMHO though.
Cheers RM

Back