• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

pickling New to pickling

Hey guys,

I have a bunch of jalepeno and cherry peppers that i'm going to be picking soon and wanted to pickle them. From what i've been reading it seems to be just 50/50 water and white vinegar along with pickling salt and garlic cloves. Aside from those ingredients is there anything else that would be good to add? Also, when pickling I've read some places that the skin of the peppers should be removed, is this necessary? I'd ideally want to leave the peppers whole.

In regards to supplies, I have the 16 oz Ball jars with lids and bands but I don't have a pressure cooker or canner. Are there any good detailed step by step instructions that can be found anywhere about the process, sanitizing, proper storage, etc.?

Thanks!

I've pickled one time and will be doing it again tonight. The first batch was 5 cups of vinegar to 1 1/2 cups of water with pickling salt and mustard seed and celery seed in the jars. I did this for banana peppers. Now the flavor was EXCELLENT! I will be using the same recipe tonight as well. I used a boiling water bath to seal the jars. There was one gotcha that I wasn't aware of though. Doing the boiling water bath turns the peppers mushy! I was not happy with the texture at all. So I read up and found that calcium chloride is used as a crisping agent for this method. So I will be utilizing that tonight and hopefully the texture is improved greatly.

Here is the recipe I used:
http://nchfp.uga.edu...pper_rings.html

Edit: I did not remove the skin of the peppers.

Thanks for the recipe. I'll give it a shot when I do pickle mine.

Where can you buy calcium chloride? Is it sold under any different names?

Also, if you don't remove the skin, does the brine solution penetrate the whole pepper?

I don't have a Kroger near me but I believe my local Target sells a bunch of Ball canning supplies. I'll have to check out their stock.

Now are you going to use the calcium chloride in addition to the pickling salt or just use the CC?

I don't have a Kroger near me but I believe my local Target sells a bunch of Ball canning supplies. I'll have to check out their stock.

Now are you going to use the calcium chloride in addition to the pickling salt or just use the CC?

It will be in addition. The instructions say to use 1/8 tsp for a pint jar, so that wouldn't be near enough salt.

Just in case you wanted to know:

1-s2.0-S0924224410000592-gr1.jpg

This image illustrates how Calcium ions (dications to be specific) help enforce the structured matrix of polygalacturonic acid, also known as pectin, also known as the glue that holds separate plant cells together. This helps explain how the addition of a calcium salt helps keep plant matter from getting mushy.

Edit: Underlined addition. Edited for clarity.

I second using the grape leaves. I've also heard that fresh oak leaves will work just as well. They both contain tannins which work to keep the crunchiness intact.

I just recently made a batch of fermented cucumber pickles with tons of garlic and hot peppers and threw in a good sized handful of fresh grape leaves, courtesy of my dad and everything retained its crunchiness. I haven't water or pressure canned these since I would lose all of the probiotics created while fermenting. They do keep quite long in the fridge though.

I second using the grape leaves. I've also heard that fresh oak leaves will work just as well. They both contain tannins which work to keep the crunchiness intact.

I just recently made a batch of fermented cucumber pickles with tons of garlic and hot peppers and threw in a good sized handful of fresh grape leaves, courtesy of my dad and everything retained its crunchiness. I haven't water or pressure canned these since I would lose all of the probiotics created while fermenting. They do keep quite long in the fridge though.

Recipe?

Is pressure canning just used for a long shelf live?

When I decide to pickly my peppers how long do they normally stay good for if refridgerated?

I will get it in a minute--have to nurse my youngest to sleep. She's a cranky little girl.

When I decide to pickly my peppers how long do they normally stay good for if refridgerated?

I've had my fermented pickles and other fermented goodies last for at least 6 months in the fridge, although its usually all consumed way before then.

Sour pickles(adapted from the book Wild Fermentation)

Fermentation time: 1-4 weeks(depends on how sour you want them to get)

Equipment needed:
Ceramic crock or food grade bucket--I used a 1 gallon glass jar left over from store bought pickles
plate to fit inside crock or bucket(I didn't use the plate for my 1 gallon batch)
jug filled with water to weigh down plate or baggies filled with water--need this to keep the pickles under the brine to ferment, otherwise you will get mold developing
cloth cover--I used a flat fold cloth diaper to cover, but you can use an old towel as well

Ingredients(yields approx 1 gallon):
3-4 pounds/(1.5-2kg) cucumbers(recipe calls for them to be used whole, but I cut them in half)
3/8 cup/(6 tablespoons) per half gallon(2 liters) of water for brine solution
3-4 heads fresh dill or 3-4 tablespoons any combo of dill(fresh/dried/seeds)
2-3 heads of garlic, peeled(I roughly chopped mine up so I can get more garlicky flavor)
1 handful fresh grape or oak leaves
pinch of whole peppercorns
* I also added a pinch of whole allspice berries as well as some fresh anise, which gives it a unique bit of flavor

The recipe doesn't call for any hot peppers, but I chopped up a few handfuls of hungarian hot wax, and jalapenos as that is all I had on hand at the time.

Directions:

1) Thoroughly wash cucumbers, making sure to remove any of the blossom ends
2) Dissolve sea salt/kosher salt in 1/2 gallon(2 liters) water to create brine
3) In clean crock, place in the bottom dill, garlic, grape or oak leave, peppercorns, allspice, chopped peppers and any other spices you want to add.
4) Place cucumbers in crock--I cut mine in half lengthwise since I was inpatient
5) Pour brine over cucumbers, place plate on top, weighing down with a jug or bag of water. If water doesn't rise over the cucumbers, make more brine at a ratio of just under a tablespoon of salt to 1 cup of water.
6) Cover with a cloth to keep out dust, flies, etc. Store in a cool place.
7) Check every day. If a white mold appears on surface, scrape it off. Rinse of plate and weight and replace. Taste after a few days to see if they are to your liking.
8) Enjoy the pickles as they continue to ferment, checking every day, and tasting as you go along.
9) In about 1-4 weeks, depending on the temperature, they should be fully sour. When they are to your liking, move to the fridge to slow the fermentation and enjoy.

*I don't actually measure out the cucumbers spices--just loosely follow the recipe. I do make sure that the brine is made as directed. The first batch I made, I had them fermenting in my kitchen, and since our house is quite warm in the summer(only have a few window a/c's) they got nicely fermented in about 4-5 days, nice and sour, garlicky and spicy. They have a flavor somewhat reminiscent to the claussen refrigerated pickles, but about 100x better. I have almost finished up the 1 gallon jar, have a 5 gallon bucket going in the basement which is close to being done, and then I will start another batch next time with zucchini from the garden since its growing like crazy.

*my second batch which is still going-I just started it about a week ago, I am using a 5 gallon food grade bucket with lid that has an o-ring for a tight seal, a dinner plate weighed down with a gallon jug filled with water. I covered the top with some plastic wrap and secured the lid on almost all the way, leaving it open just a bit to vent, and I burp it once a day to release any gases. I did the same with my fermented sauerkraut which turned out great.

This book can be found online as a pdf download if you google it. Many more recipes for fermenting, including for other veggies, breads, wine, etc.

I finished making the pickled banana peppers a couple nights ago. I cracked open a jar yesterday and they are much crisper than the first batch I made. Quite tasty as well. +1 for me for the calcium chloride, however, I will consider grape leaves in the future.

Hey guys,

I have a bunch of jalepeno and cherry peppers that i'm going to be picking soon and wanted to pickle them. From what i've been reading it seems to be just 50/50 water and white vinegar along with pickling salt and garlic cloves. Aside from those ingredients is there anything else that would be good to add? Also, when pickling I've read some places that the skin of the peppers should be removed, is this necessary? I'd ideally want to leave the peppers whole.

In regards to supplies, I have the 16 oz Ball jars with lids and bands but I don't have a pressure cooker or canner. Are there any good detailed step by step instructions that can be found anywhere about the process, sanitizing, proper storage, etc.?

This is a great resource for pickling (and canning in general): http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can6b_pickle.html I end up pickling several pounds of peppers every year and don't remove the skins of anything. Seems like a PITA and counter productive IMO - I do also use grape leaves to help keep things crispy as well as a lower temperature water bath technique. I'll also just throw some peppers in a jar of white vinegar and leave them in my fridge. Pretty good after a couple of weeks and the vinegar is great for spicing things up.

Using a pressure cooker is required to preserve foods that are 'low acid' (have a pH of > 4.6) because you generally add vinegar to pickles that you can, the pH is lower than 4.6 and the easy water bath method is safe to use for preservation. A pressure cooker enables you to process the food at temperatures higher than 212 degrees F, killing the nasties that can cause improperly canned food to become deadly but can't survive in the acidic environment created during pickling.

I think suggested shelf life of home canned goods is one year at room temp - I can never put enough pickled goodness away to last that long though :)

I finally pickled a bunch of jalepenos and some cherry hots last night using the recipe that comp had posted.

I poured the boiling mixture into the packed cans, put the lids on and let them sit and refrigerated them after they had cooled down. Should I have placed the jars in a big pot and gave them a water bath or are they fine refrigerated? I don't own a pressure cooker...

f6d1fdc5.jpg

Those look great!! Excellent job. As long as you keep them refrigerated, they'll be fine. The water bath is only necessary if you want to keep them unrefrigerated before opening.

Thanks for the compliments guys. The jalepenos turned out great. I was surprised though that they weren't that vinegar-y. I guess I haven't let them sit long enough?

Also, I put fresh sliced garlic in with the peppers and now they've turned blue. Is this normal/safe?

I plan on putting the cherry peppers in a food processor and making them diced for sandwiches.

I usually let stuff sit for about 3 weeks as a rule of thumb when doing the refrigeration method. I just did 128oz of my cucumber salad with scotch bonnets. Your stuff is looking great, practice makes perfect. My japs last year made people hiccup first bite.

cuc.jpg

Thanks for the compliments guys. The jalepenos turned out great. I was surprised though that they weren't that vinegar-y. I guess I haven't let them sit long enough?

Also, I put fresh sliced garlic in with the peppers and now they've turned blue. Is this normal/safe?

I plan on putting the cherry peppers in a food processor and making them diced for sandwiches.

Yeah they definitely need to sit for a couple of weeks...

What kind of salt did you use? If it wasn't pickling salt, the anti caking agents found in most other types of salt might have caused that blue color.

Back