• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

New to sauce making

Hey, new guy here. I have been lurking the site for over a week. For years I have always wanted to make my own hot sauce and finally I found a place with all the information I need. Most of the processes seem pretty fun, I would have thought it to be much more challenging. Anyway, I wont be growing my own peppers anytime soon, for now I am planning on buying my peppers locally. Hopefully within the next couple of weeks I'm planning on making my first cooked sauce.

Since, this is my first time I want to ask the experienced guys for what I should go with and the amount of each ingredient. I want my ingredients to go something like this: habaneros or scotch bonnets (whatever the market has), pineapple, orange, garlic and onion and whatever you guys suggest. What type of vinegar should I use? Any other suggestions? I want it hot, i'm thinking hotter than ass kickin, but not quite blairs after death on the heat scale. I will also look into buying a PH meter before I make my sauce to stay safe.

looks yummy

it is kind of important, imo, if you leave the seeds

and veins in or if you take them out

i have been playing with some salsa type of sauces

and i sometimes just cut everything up and mix and eat it raw

with the same ingredients you get a very different result

even jalapeƱos make a very different heat level with/ without the veins and seeds

and the heat character of uncooked versus cooked is worth looking into

I made my second sauce. 11 habs, 3 jalapenos, pinapple and mango, garlic, vinegar, sugar, salt. I'm satisfied with the heat level, it's not bad but there's just something missing.

Use your imagination when it comes to ingredients, not other people's opinions. It's your sauce so make it the way you want to. The only way to learn what you like is to experiment. Start out with flavors you're familiar with and go from there.

Good luck to ya LO619.

That's the way most folks end up making dry rubs for meat that will be smoked, grilled, or pan seared.You have to experiment to know what you like or dislike. It's all good my friend.

That's the way most folks end up making dry rubs for meat that will be smoked, grilled, or pan seared.You have to experiment to know what you like or dislike. It's all good my friend.

I think I was being to hard on myself, this last sauce is actually the best fruit/sweet hot sauce I've tried. Everyone else whos tried it loved it, so I think I'm on the right track. Next time I think I'm going to use some chipotle peppers and do a smokey hot sauce chipotle, habs & maybe some Jalapenos

Back