• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

Newb here, lots of questions about sauce making!

I just recently became interested in making hot sauce (just for myself), because I love sauce and it seems fun.
I have almost no cooking experience, so this is all brand new to me.

I'm not (yet) interested in growing my own peppers, so I am just sticking with stuff I can buy in the supermarket for now, though I have been having some trouble with that.
Cayenne peppers are the main pepper used in most of the hot sauces I see sold in stores. But I have been looking for cayenne peppers in the supermarkets around my home and I haven't found any. Where do people usually get these peppers? Also, chipotles? I haven't been able to find any of those either.
There is a farmers market right near my home, but I have never been able to check there because I always work on the day its open.

Next, thickness of the sauce.
I tried just mixing everything together in a food processor, and this gives me a very chunky sauce kinda like baby food. Looks gross, but doesn't seem bad. I tried straining it, and that just left me with pure liquid.
How would I get something with a thicker but smooth consistency, like a wing sauce or a barbecue sauce? I'm guessing there are certain ingredients that would thicken it up.

As for ingredients, I often see that most recipes include garlic or onions. Does this just improve the taste somehow? Or is there some other purpose for these ingredients?

Next, on to cooking. Is there going to be a big difference in the taste of the sauce depending on how I cook it? For instance, leaving everything raw, versus blanching/boiling the peppers, versus grilling the peppers, versus heating it all up in a frying pan after mixing.

And finally, I'm hoping to try out a strawberry flavored sauce to see how that turns out. I guess I am planning to just use some strawberries and habaneros (maybe some vinegar? maybe not?). Any tips on how to improve upon that basic idea a bit?

I just recently became interested in making hot sauce (just for myself), because I love sauce and it seems fun.

I'm not (yet) interested in growing my own peppers, so I am just sticking with stuff I can buy in the supermarket for now, though I have been having some trouble with that.

Welcome to the addiction!

Cayenne peppers are the main pepper used in most of the hot sauces I see sold in stores. But I have been looking for cayenne peppers in the supermarkets around my home and I haven't found any. Where do people usually get these peppers? Also, chipotles? I haven't been able to find any of those either.
There is a farmers market right near my home, but I have never been able to check there because I always work on the day its open.

You can probably find powdered Cayenne in bulk very cheap. Any grocery store or specialty market should have it readily available in varying sizes. Down here, Cayenne is a very popular spice and I can get a quart of powder for less than $5. It might not be that cheap up by you, but even Wal Mart should have it. Fresh will be considerably more difficult to find.

Chipotles are just smoked jalapenos. You can probably find jalapenos pretty much anywhere, and most Mexican specialty stores should have them smoked/dried.

I tried just mixing everything together in a food processor, and this gives me a very chunky sauce kinda like baby food. Looks gross, but doesn't seem bad. I tried straining it, and that just left me with pure liquid.
How would I get something with a thicker but smooth consistency, like a wing sauce or a barbecue sauce? I'm guessing there are certain ingredients that would thicken it up.

You may need a more powerful food processor, or just give your existing one more running time. You can also order some xanthum gum and thicken up your sauce that way.

As for ingredients, I often see that most recipes include garlic or onions. Does this just improve the taste somehow? Or is there some other purpose for these ingredients?

Garlic and onions are delicious! You can also try roasting ingredients. Pineapple, ginger, and carrots are all popular options as well. Vinegar and other acids can be added later for taste and shelf life.

Next, on to cooking. Is there going to be a big difference in the taste of the sauce depending on how I cook it? For instance, leaving everything raw, versus blanching/boiling the peppers, versus grilling the peppers, versus heating it all up in a frying pan after mixing.

Yes! Mix it up and find out what best works for the flavors that you're looking for.

And finally, I'm hoping to try out a strawberry flavored sauce to see how that turns out. I guess I am planning to just use some strawberries and habaneros (maybe some vinegar? maybe not?). Any tips on how to improve upon that basic idea a bit?

Red Hawk Premium Peppers makes a strawberry / scorpion sauce. I haven't had the chance to try it yet, but I've heard that it's awesome. He's a really nice guy, and you'll see him around these forums. You can also read more about how he does his sauces on his website: http://redhawkpeppers.com/HotSauces/default.html

Thanks for the quick response!
I hadn't thought of trying the cayenne powder. I'll try picking some up next time I'm out.
And I'll check out some mexican stores too, that hadn't even crossed my mind.

Do you have a Whole Foods in the area? They've been amazing about letting me order anything I want by the case. I just call them a day or two ahead, ask them for a few boxes, and it's there when I pick it up. I definitely get some strange looks when I'm carrying around 3 boxes of Habaneros. Totally worth it though.

First off welcome to THP, this is the best place on the net for everything spicy

Farmers Markets are great and your buying local / supporting local growers all things I'm in favor of but, your probably only going to get seasonal items there and if it's not open during the winter months then.....
I'd be pretty surprised if your local store didn't carry at least fresh Jalapeno, Serannos, Cayennes and maybe some Anahiems, Poblanos, and even some Habaneros. You can make some really great sauces from just those and a few other things added.

There are a bunch of ingredients that will help you with finding the right thickness and consistency. One of the most used is Carrots. i've even used Sweet potatoes and Plantains, dont use plantains they have too much starch in them. You might also consider something like the xanthum gum mentioned above.

Garlic and onions are just the tip. your ingredients are as wide as your imagination will carry you. When i make a new sauce I start by getting the flavor I'm looking for in my head and then start thinking about what will fit into that Flavor Profile and what won't making a list of everything that might work. Once I have a big list I go through it and pick what I think will be the best ones and go make a test batch.

There are 2 threads that are pinned to the top of the Hot Sauce sub forum that are 101's. Read through them and you will have a really good understanding of how to process, make a sauce that is easy but more importantly is safe and will give you a sauce that wont make you or anyone else sick.

See, your mind is already at work. Just remember that you will want to get something to measure the Ph with even if it's just test strips.

Just a few thoughts for you. Have fun and post lots of pics when you make one.

Cheers,
RM

Back